Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spectacular Spider-Man #306 Spoiler Discussion

This was a great issue. Spider-Man's characterization was spot-on. Just look at this scene:

Damm that selfless sacrificing nature.

I also really liked this scene.

Those fingers have a lot of strength. They're also a lot sticky.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Indeed, it was great. Looking forward to the confrontation between Spider-Man and the Tinkerer. Also, Spider-Man almost being overwhelmed by all the memories he was reexperiencing until Teresa's encouragement enabled him to center himself was a good moment, especially if you're still a Peter/Mary Jane supporter, given the memory that was foremost on his mind when he did center himself.

Another good moment, though, at least from a characterization standpoint, was Spider-Man saving HERBIE even when Jonah was telling him he should just leave HERBIE behind and griping about Peter's inability to see the bigger picture, just because he knew HERBIE was important to his friends (and surrogate superhero family) the Fantastic Four. That encapsulated his heroic mindset right there, that in his eyes, no one is too unimportant or insignificant to be saved if they're in danger. Beautiful.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 06-27-2018 at 01:48 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

This book has been so solid since roughly issue #5 last year; I remain really surprised that more people aren't talking about it and that it doesn't sell better. I don't know if that's a Marvel marketing issue or just the same old argument that ASM is the flagship title and nothing else has a chance to sell even half as well.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    This book has been so solid since roughly issue #5 last year; I remain really surprised that more people aren't talking about it and that it doesn't sell better. I don't know if that's a Marvel marketing issue or just the same old argument that ASM is the flagship title and nothing else has a chance to sell even half as well.
    People were talking about it plenty when they thought it sucked. Now that it doesn't suck . . . well, that's a big part of the problem. People will spend more time and energy griping about what they don't like than on praising and extolling what they do like.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I really enjoyed this issue as well - I was kinda worried that the quality of this book was declining again with that underwhelming two-parter we had recently, but this issue assuaged my fears. I can’t wait to see how Peter escapes certain death this time!
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Another great issue.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

So in retrospect, it was a terrible idea to leave a tech based hero guarding Tinkerer.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Another good issue..I'm moved to write to Chip and the gang to compliment..good characterisation..interesting having guests of other marvel characters and nice angle the continuing Jonah/Spidey/Peter introspective..another good scene, Theresa says to Jonah you got to remember, he's a hero...nice!

I love this series! Chip Zdarsky really writes a strong Peter and Spider-Man. Plus, his versions of the Tinkerer and the other villains are on point! I dare say this has the same type of effect as Roger Stern did on the original Spectacular. Truly great stuff here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    So in retrospect, it was a terrible idea to leave a tech based hero guarding Tinkerer.
    Yeah, they could've used Miles instead, and that situation with Ironheart would've been avoided.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

A great issue indeed, this series deserves more praise. Good to see again a competent and heroic version of the character, but it's not just about Spidey. Both Teresa and good ol' Jonah have been nice additions to the book.
    And yes, that reference to a certain former love interest was super satisfying
    My only complaint would be about how weird Kubert draws faces most of the time.
    Last edited by vhm74; 06-28-2018 at 03:59 AM.

Incredible Member

Haven't read the issue yet. Just curious if next issue is the end of this story?

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Haven't read the issue yet. Just curious if next issue is the end of this story?
    Yes! #307 ends the Vedomi/Tinkerer story, and then August and September both have a two-part Sandman story with Chris Bachalo!

September also has #310, written and drawn by Chip.

Quote Originally Posted by vhm74 View Post
    A great issue indeed, this series deserves more praise. Good to see again a competent and heroic version of the character, but it's not just about Spidey. Both Teresa and good ol' Jonah have been nice additions to the book.
    And yes, that reference to a certain former love interest was super satisfying
    My only complaint would be about how weird Kubert draws faces most of the time.
    The faces could be more of Juan Frigeri, since he did the finishes over Kubert's breakdowns

Astonishing Member

I'm really loving this book, I dont know what to say that everyone here already said. That Jonah scene when JJJ thought Peter died was heartwarming. I'm curious depending how Nick Spencer run is? this would be the main great book that is not that flagship title. Didnt that happened in the early 80s when Roger Stern was writing Spec and Amazing wasnt doing too good?