Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Thanks. I hear you with the Mysterio set up. But, honestly, if I had to do it again, that two-parter did too much heavy lifting setting up future stories, progressing subplots, and explaining away continuity questions, that it barely had any room left to tell its own story. All of the Molten Man/Harry/Normie/Liz conflict was short shrifted for space. Which is a shame because I had some really neat Molten Man character beats that wound up on the cutting room floor. It was definitely a live-and-learn experience about writing ongoing monthly comics for a mainstream character.

I think you would've gotten that punchline you were looking for if we were able to stick to the original plan/ending. Another problem we had with the Alpha story was that we had to completely scuttle the end beat of Peter completely removing Alpha's powers. It was a much harsher/stronger last beat. But we had to water it down because the sales were too good on the first issue, there was too much buzz (negative or not) about Spidey getting a "sidekick" (which was SUPPOSED to be a red herring so you wouldn't see the ending coming!), and marketing didn't want Alpha to completely lose his powers... so that there could be a possible mini-series or spinoff series. :-/

Look, end of the day, I agree with you. The Alpha story missed the mark. Completely. That wasn't the intention. We went in trying to tell a good story. Sometimes you don't hit the ball well. That's all on me-- I've said that a LOT-- and will freely cop to it every time.
    That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

It's too bad that so many stories with potential tend to get marred by outside interference (Clone Saga, Sins Past, & OMD all come to mind).
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 06-29-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah I would agree with that. There is nothing in the Star Wars franchise like the Batman and Robin film, for instance, not even close. They are all pretty carefully constructed to be watchable
    I would rather watch Batman and Robin a dozen times in a row than watch 5 minutes of Star Wars Holiday Special.

Slott posted about his favorite shorter stories online.

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1087497629850841088
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Slott posted about his favorite shorter stories online.

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1087497629850841088
    Thanks for posting this.

I truly loved Dan’s run on Spidey. Should he ever come back, I’ll be quite happy. That being said, I am also loving Nick Spencer’s run so far. And to respond to some earlier comments, doesn’t everything just read better in trade/collected edition?

BANNED

Incredible run!
    A small token of gratitude for mr Slott.
    SPIDERMAN-page-001.jpg
    20181015101357424_Page_1.jpg

Here is my small token of gratitude to the master.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

New Ways To Die and I Killed Tomorrow are classics, I think. The sentimentalist in me puts Paparrazi up there as well. Superior had moments, like the issue he mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I would rather watch Batman and Robin a dozen times in a row than watch 5 minutes of Star Wars Holiday Special.
    That doesn't exist.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.