View Poll Results: Would You Like An Actual Ending For The DC Universe?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 20.45%
  • Maybe

4 9.09%
  • No

31 70.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Question Would You Like An Actual Ending For The DC Universe?

When it comes to comics there are no actual endings and because of that comics tend to have lots of issues. Be it character assassinations that leave people angry, stories that are hated, progress and character development that may not exist, or are just flat out irked by the never ending stories. So that leaves me with the topic at hand as would you like to see a real ending to the DC Universe? If it had ended well most of the problems I listed would not really happen so would you want one?
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 06-27-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Boisterously Confused

As long as somebody can come up with decent stories to read with pretty art to look at, my answer is no. The characters and situations (for the most part) are durable. Even Hawkman, who was an utter mess, is off to a promising restart.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    As long as somebody can come up with decent stories to read with pretty art to look at, my answer is no. The characters and situations (for the most part) are durable. Even Hawkman, who was an utter mess, is off to a promising restart.
    But then comes the next problem when writers pass the baton and then they are mistreated then fans fear that their favourite will be destroyed beyond repair.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 06-28-2018 at 04:45 AM.

The question seems dumb because of how impossible it is. The DCU is never going to “end”. If it does “end” it will be due to DC going under, and that won’t be a graceful ending.

We’ve already got “ending” stories as it were. Kingdom Come was one possible ending for Superman in particular, and the DCU as a whole. TDKR was an ending for Batman. Johns gave “his” GLs an ending.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    The question seems dumb because of how impossible it is. The DCU is never going to “end”. If it does “end” it will be due to DC going under, and that won’t be a graceful ending.

We’ve already got “ending” stories as it were. Kingdom Come was one possible ending for Superman in particular, and the DCU as a whole. TDKR was an ending for Batman. Johns gave “his” GLs an ending.
    Not saying that it was possible for it to end I'm just asking would anyone want an actual ending. Just out of curiosity to people's thoughts on the idea itself. Sherlock Holmes continues to be adapted and a few new novels to boot but they don't contradict the fact the stories have ended. And these adaptations make a lot of money to whoever owns the rights to make adaptations.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 06-27-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I don't really see the upside. I'd love to read a story with an ending to the main characters or the era of superheroes, sure. But I gain nothing in missing out on the ongoing quality stories that can exist independent of that ending story.

Plus, the DCU isn't really meant to "end", so to speak. The future holds the Beyond universe and the LOSH and Thawne in the 25th century and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I don't really see the upside. I'd love to read a story with an ending to the main characters or the era of superheroes, sure. But I gain nothing in missing out on the ongoing quality stories that can exist independent of that ending story.

Plus, the DCU isn't really meant to "end", so to speak. The future holds the Beyond universe and the LOSH and Thawne in the 25th century and so on.
    Admittedly that did cross my mind on the other hand some characters and franchises have lost their relevance thanks to sketchy decisions maybe it's time to retire some of them for good or at least until someone comes with a way to revitalise the characters and properties.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post

The problem with ending stories is, if they are sell well, they handcuff future writers (The TDKR/Days of Future Past effect). A great story is not necessarily a great framework for an ongoing.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Morrison summed up the DCU pretty well in Final Crisis when he showed Superman his tombstone and the inscription read: TO BE CONTINUED...

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Morrison summed up the DCU pretty well in Final Crisis when he showed Superman his tombstone and the inscription read: TO BE CONTINUED...
    He did that? He is really the King of Meta Commentary. He should have put that Jean Grey's tombstone.

Ultimate Member

I'm not done with it yet, so no, no ending wanted here.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

No purpose in a actual ending, it's a ongoing universe.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Sure, as long as month afterwards they do a "Reboot" of sorts starting on a new earth.

What I would prefer is there to be less emphasis on a universe and trying to sell the universe as a product, and more emphasis on individual titles telling complete stories with beginnings, middles and ends. IF the parts make up a greater whole of a universe that's fine, but the titles need to be the emphasis, not the bigger whole. One of the obstacles to sales growth of titles is the fact they are not the focus of the content or the publishers but the line instead and sales will always be limited because of that, as it is difficult to provide a satisfactory complete story in one title to someone who doesn't want to invest in the whole line, and the customer base willing to invest in a whole line is limited to the already existing hardcore base.

I could care less if the universe had an ending, but a story without an ending is not a story as it fails to fulfill the basic structure of a story i.e. having a beginning, middle and end. The ending is what provides the payoff for the reader's investment in the story, and without a true ending there is no real payoff and thus only the shadow of a story that leaves most readers unsatisfied. It is not a coincidence that most of the DC stories that have gone on to become evergreen sellers are those that are standalone stories that are complete with a beginning, middle and end, as those are the types of stories that have an appeal to a general audience and overall greater sales potential (evergreen sellers such as DKR, Watchmen, Year One, Sandman, Preacher, etc. all present a complete story with a definitive ending whether or not the universe they take place in ends) and have a real payoff to provide a satisfying reading experience.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    What I would prefer is there to be less emphasis on a universe and trying to sell the universe as a product, and more emphasis on individual titles telling complete stories with beginnings, middles and ends. IF the parts make up a greater whole of a universe that's fine, but the titles need to be the emphasis, not the bigger whole. One of the obstacles to sales growth of titles is the fact they are not the focus of the content or the publishers but the line instead and sales will always be limited because of that, as it is difficult to provide a satisfactory complete story in one title to someone who doesn't want to invest in the whole line, and the customer base willing to invest in a whole line is limited to the already existing hardcore base.

I could care less if the universe had an ending, but a story without an ending is not a story as it fails to fulfill the basic structure of a story i.e. having a beginning, middle and end. The ending is what provides the payoff for the reader's investment in the story, and without a true ending there is no real payoff and thus only the shadow of a story that leaves most readers unsatisfied. It is not a coincidence that most of the DC stories that have gone on to become evergreen sellers are those that are standalone stories that are complete with a beginning, middle and end, as those are the types of stories that have an appeal to a general audience and overall greater sales potential (evergreen sellers such as DKR, Watchmen, Year One, Sandman, Preacher, etc. all present a complete story with a definitive ending whether or not the universe they take place in ends) and have a real payoff to provide a satisfying reading experience.

-M
    Sure that approach will help sales but when the stories are bad well people will want their money back.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 06-28-2018 at 09:40 AM.