View Poll Results: Would You Like An Actual Ending For The DC Universe?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 20.45%
  • Maybe

4 9.09%
  • No

31 70.45%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    What I would prefer is there to be less emphasis on a universe and trying to sell the universe as a product, and more emphasis on individual titles telling complete stories with beginnings, middles and ends. IF the parts make up a greater whole of a universe that's fine, but the titles need to be the emphasis, not the bigger whole.

-M
    So much this. What should we give a flying fornication about a "universe' if the franchises that make up that universe aren't well utilized? Books like Justice League (and Avengers) should be the exception, not the rule. Flash, GL, WW, and all the rest need to shine so that when we see them come together, it's truly awesome. A universe and over-arching continuity works great and seeing Easter Eggs and occasional crossovers helps us to appreciate the whole when the pieces making up that whole are quality.

I'd like to see lots of 'actual' endings for the DCU, not a one of them set in stone.

Fantastic Member

I like seeing how things turn out. Comics need to go in a new directions, it's boring seeing characters not grow old in the main universe. The should be an era in comics where we actually get to see the end

Extraordinary Member

I think it's better when you have stories that could be possible endings but don't necessarily have to be. John's Green Lantern ending is a great POSSIBLE ending for the story of Hal and the Green Lanterns, but the comics continue. DKR is a great POSSIBLE ending for Batman. Same with Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The characters are heroes meant to be icons, eternal, and ideally applicable for every generation, so no.
    If there's an end, they'll to follow it with a new version for the next generation

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LegendOfTheAngryBlonde View Post
    Sure, as long as month afterwards they do a "Reboot" of sorts starting on a new earth.
    This.

I want an official end to the current DCU, and the following month to be day one of a new one. Nothing carried over from the old DCU continuity wise except the core concepts of the characters.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The characters are heroes meant to be icons, eternal, and ideally applicable for every generation, so no.
    If there's an end, they'll to follow it with a new version for the next generation
    While eternal, it would be nice to see the world grow. They may do else worlds but the stakes are Never that high as the heroes always win. That has become boring. To actually see how thighs would actually progress than have a restart would be refreshing. But actual end, where like superman the last surviving hero of his generation. Where batman actually became a mentor. Not an else world.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    But then comes the next problem when writers pass the baton and then they are mistreated then fans fear that their favourite will be destroyed beyond repair.
    Batman has had his fair share of bad editorial decisions, poor writing, etc. And yet he's still here. Strong concepts persevere.

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    While eternal, it would be nice to see the world grow. They may do else worlds but the stakes are Never that high as the heroes always win. That has become boring. To actually see how thighs would actually progress than have a restart would be refreshing. But actual end, where like superman the last surviving hero of his generation. Where batman actually became a mentor. Not an else world.
    That doesn't work. The draw to the DCU is its primary characters: Superman, Batman, WW, Flash, Green Lantern, etc.

If DC "ends them", it limits the audience investment; they don't get the starting point, they get the hand-me-downs. There are Harry Potter super-fans that want to read about future generations of HP and his cast, and all the mantles and legacies - just like bored longtime comic fans.

But most people want to read at the starting point, and aren't nearly as invested in spinoffs.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    Batman has had his fair share of bad editorial decisions, poor writing, etc. And yet he's still here. Strong concepts persevere.
    Yeah somehow and I will never understand it.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he