Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

They probably started pushing Kitty because Bendis happened to be a fan (he's also the one supposed to be doing her movie, though I wouldn't expect it to happen now that the Disney/Fox deal has become almost a formality). So he used her in All-New X-Men (causing Jason Aaron to have to swap in Storm for her in Wolverine and the X-Men) and then Guardians of the Galaxy. When she came back to the X books, they had Storm and Kitty switch places again. Whether that was Guggenheim's choice or editorial's I don't know.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

To the OP Title Thread:
    They're hoping she falls the edge

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Do you guys think Marvel forcing Kitty down our throats has something to do with the upcoming Kitty Pryde solo movie Fox is working on before Disney deal?

http://collider.com/kitty-pryde-movi...er-fox-disney/
    http://collider.com/kitty-pryde-movi...x-men-spinoff/
    http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/...net-reacts/#10

Is Marvel pushing Kitty like this at the expense of more popular A-list characters making you like the character more? Do you feel that Marvel is succeeding in making Kitty an A-lister with the readers with the push the X-books are giving her? Does it motivate you to see her upcoming solo film? Thoughts?

I think the Kitty-worship going in the x-books, while likely appealing to Kitty's fanbase, are actually making other fans who used to not mind the character start to hate her. I used to feel indifferent towards the character. I used to not mind her filling a slot on x-rosters as I thought she brought a unique power to the team. However, seeing her in the role she's in at the expense of making older, and more experienced veterans look incompetent without her, has made me dislike the character. I will definitely not be seeing this Kitty solo movie, and I think there are TONS of more X-Men characters who are far more deserving of such a film than Kitty. Storm, Nightcrawler, Gambit (and not that crap that Channing Tatum is doing. I don't think he could play Gambit to save his life, to be honest), and Warpath are all more deserving of a solo than she, and they have far more story potential (especially Ororo).

Are they really forcing her down your throat? As a consumer you can ignore it right?

Because writers like Guggenheim and Bendis like her. And I don't see anything wrong with that or Marvel pushing the character. The only problem is Guggenheim is not a good writer and went overboard with pushing her.

I would also say that Kitty is already an A-List X-Men character.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Are they really forcing her down your throat? As a consumer you can ignore it right?
    Stop with bringing common sense to this thread dammit

Spectacular Member comradepitrovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I think Guggenheim's motivation to push Kitty to the forefront is on point, but his execution wasn't. Kitty Pryde is the original mutant sidekick and seeing her grow up into a leader should've been a lot more rewarding than it has been.
    Yep. This. The ideas throughout Gold have been . . . not great, but they aren't terrible. It's the execution that has consistently failed. That's been true through-out Gugg's career.

Quote Originally Posted by Judicata View Post
    This is a very strange theory.

She's the little sister, not the "girlfriend." The selling point to Kitty was seeing the little sister grow up and into a position of leadership.

If Marvel wanted to sell books to straight men, assuming that group wants to buy books on if a female character in it is "girlfriend" material (lol, this is so silly, reducing straight men to horny children), slap Psylocke on the cover in her thong.

I'm a straight male myself, and the idea that I'd buy a comic book because I see Kitty as a the girl-nextdoor is pretty funny. If I bought a book because of my attraction to women, I'm going for the hottest characters like Psylocke or White Queen.

I read X-Men when Kitty was young and her right now I'm not digging. To me the highlight of Kitty's comic career was when Joss Whedon got to write her, since she was the basis for Buffy. She was pretty fun to read in Astonishing.
    Actually, my theory is even weirder.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by girlfriend. It's not about Kitty being the hottest or sexiest woman. It's about - I apologize for getting anime here - moe.

Although Kitty isn't a moeblob, she had a similar kind of moe appeal. You note that she comes across as a little sister. That's moe. She started out as precisely the cute, young, quirky girl that you want to protect, and so develop an affectionate attachment towards.

moekitty.jpg

It's not even necessarily about sex, though, uh, I wonder whether that holds up to scrutiny in Kitty's case given how she was sexualized in, e.g., the Sat-Yr-9 stories.

The anime industry is built on weaponizing moe, as men (and women too) get attached to these characters, and then spend vast amounts of money on merchandise. It's a powerful force.

Adult Kitty may no longer fit into that category, but Marvel is very obviously tapping into the power of nostalgia at this point, and trying to win back fans who have dropped the books. Marvel Legacy was not subtle about that being a goal. I also noticed that both Soule and Guggenheim have explored nostalgia as themes in their runs, which suggests it's a preoccupation over there.

So, even if you don't agree with the moe thing (which is fine; it is a bit out there), I'm basically saying that a lot of people are attached to Kitty, and almost no-one has disliked her in the past, so Marvel has chosen to focus on her. Which doesn't seem that weird a theory to me.

Also, I said nothing about straight men in my post. Kitty is EVERYONE's girlfriend.
    Last edited by DearMachine; 06-27-2018 at 06:49 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    I haven't bought an issue of Gold since #3. The complaint I have is every month I hope to see a well-written Storm, and every month continues to be a letdown. While I remain a fan of certain characters, because of the hack writing going on in the X-books, I am no longer a fan of comics.

Fantastic Member

Why did Marvel push Cyclops so hard in the past decade? At least Marvel is trying to push someone else now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I haven't bought an issue of Gold since #3. The complaint I have is every month I hope to see a well-written Storm, and every month continues to be a letdown. While I remain a fan of certain characters, because of the hack writing going on in the X-books, I am no longer a fan of comics.
    You won't be dissapointed.

BANNED

I was bone-tired of Kitty as soon as Claremont introduced her and it's only gotten worse over the years.

I wouldn't call one book as "pushing down our throats".

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Kitty is better when she has a foil to contrast her personality, maybe what she need is another mini with Logan
    Well sure it works for a mini series but for a solo title no she needs more than Logan to play off on.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

...Kitty Pride is getting a movie? WTF!?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    ...Kitty Pride is getting a movie? WTF!?
    Yes, apparently. X-23 is also getting a movie, apparently. Multiple Man is also getting a movie, apparently. Silver Sable and Black Cat are also getting a movie, apparently. Silk is also getting a movie, apparently. Morbius is also getting a movie, apparently.