Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

If someone expressed interest in beginning to read about Spider-Man, I'd probably suggest they go to a shop or digitally buy the newest issues and see if they like them.

I don't think it's necessary, or even wise, to start with the "best." As a kid, I just bought what I could get my hands on. It's a bit different now in terms of accessibility to comics, but my students don't much seem to mind that the comics in our classroom jump all over the place: they just want to read something cool.

-Pav, who is happy to report that a random guy on Twitter just donated probably 40 comics to my students this week...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Spectacular Member swing kinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    If someone expressed interest in beginning to read about Spider-Man, I'd probably suggest they go to a shop or digitally buy the newest issues and see if they like them.

I don't think it's necessary, or even wise, to start with the "best." As a kid, I just bought what I could get my hands on. It's a bit different now in terms of accessibility to comics, but my students don't much seem to mind that the comics in our classroom jump all over the place: they just want to read something cool.

-Pav, who is happy to report that a random guy on Twitter just donated probably 40 comics to my students this week...
    Not the way I went about it. When I started I learned what I could from other fans and my dealer about what arcs are considered the best and let them guide me timber me started. I found it important to learn the history of the character etc. I understand not everyone is the same but I wanted to shower myself in it's history rather than just jumping into the new stuff
    https://www.bigglasgowcomicpage.com/.../kinkerkorner/ My pop culture lists. Got an idea for a list? Gimme a shout.

BANNED

To somebody completely new to comics?

Sorry, but my recommendations would be outside of the superhero genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    To somebody completely new to comics?

Sorry, but my recommendations would be outside of the superhero genre.
    Why be sorry? That I think makes good sense..for all sorts of reasons.

Sticking to Spider-man..Vol 1 of Masterworks. Good fun stories and the way Steve Ditko drew Peter, has never been equalled. (Completely subjective view of course.)

Outside Spider-man, a lot would depend on person concerned. But Bryan Talbot’s The Tale of One Bad Rat, and Will Eisner’s Contract with God trilogy would be strong “contenders”.

Kraven's Last Hunt, best Marvel story ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    This is an awsome story, but it's a 2 parter, you must read issue #230 for the complete thing.
    Y'know, it actually took me years and years before I found the second part. The first part was still a great read even if it ended on a cliffhanger :P

Back then comics were so hit and miss... nobody I knew anywhere actually had 'complete runs'.... It was whatever you happened to find at the grocery store or gas station that mom would let you get. Still love that one

If you're trying to convince an alien species of the value of human race or comics as a medium... maybe??? but for a new reader? I think it would color expectations pretty harshly.
    Last edited by phantom1592; 09-29-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Kraven's Last Hunt, best Marvel story ever.
    I don't know. Despite finding it too dark and weird for my tastes. It wasn't really a 'Spider-man' story.

It was an interesting character study of Kraven… but if you're trying to get someone into Spider-man, picking one where he's dead for 5/6 of it isn't a great jumping on point.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post

Kraven's Last Hunt (Epic Collection) - Collects Spider-Man/Wolverin, The Wedding and the aclaimed Kraven's Last Hunt

1.Man Of The Year - The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #20
    2.High Tide - Spider-Man versus Wolverin - prequel to The Hobgoblini Revealed
    3.The Hobgoblin Revealed! - The Amazing Spider-Man #289
    4.Mask - Web of Spider-Man #29 - sequel to The Hobgoblini Revealed
    5.The Wedges of Sin - Web of Spider-Man #30 - sequel to The Hobgoblini Revealed
    6.The Big Question - The Amazing Spider-Man #290 - prequel to The Wedding
    7.Dark Journey - The Amazing Spider-Man #291 - prequel to The Wedding
    8.Growing Pains - The Amazing Spider-Man #292 - prequel to The Wedding
    9.The Wedding - The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21
    10.The Honeymoon - The Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #7 - Sadly not collected
    11.Part 1: The Coffing - Web of Spider-Man #31
    12.Part 2: Crawling - Amazing Spider-Man #293
    13.Part 3: Descent - Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #131
    14.Part 4: Resurrection - Web of Spider-Man #32
    15.Part 5: Thunder - Amazing Spider-Man #294
    16.Part 6: Ascending - Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #132
    17.The Wedding of the Year - Marvel Age #54 - includes interviews, the Shea Stadium and the Newspaper Strip weddings
    Man, I wasn't aware that the wedding was collected in Kraven's Last Hunt (Epic Collection)!

I was looking for a wedding reprint so I could buy it! thanks!

It actually makes sense to give a background to better appreciate Kraven's Last Hunt. It's a good story but I find it odd when someone recommends it to new readers.

Do you know if "10.The Honeymoon - The Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #7" was collected anywhere?
    It’s like having a big white sheet of paper to draw on! A day full of possibilities!

Happy Birthday- Amazing Spider-Man 57, 58 and 500.

Shed- Amazing Spider-Man 630, 631, 632, 633

Or
    Marvel Knights Spider-Man: Fight Night

BANNED

Let's revive this

Quote Originally Posted by twenty2 View Post
    Man, I wasn't aware that the wedding was collected in Kraven's Last Hunt (Epic Collection)!

I was looking for a wedding reprint so I could buy it! thanks!

It actually makes sense to give a background to better appreciate Kraven's Last Hunt. It's a good story but I find it odd when someone recommends it to new readers.

Do you know if "10.The Honeymoon - The Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #7" was collected anywhere?
    Well, The Spectacular #7 has never been collected.
    This book is also missing (but it was written later), the sequel to Kraven's Last Hunt (which is in the Kraven's Last Hunt Deluxe book) - Amazing Spider-Man: Soul of The Hunter.

Spider-man 229, 230 (1982)
    by Roger Stern and John Romita, Jr.
    This story showcases a lot of what makes Spidey so awesome.

Astonishing Member

Amazing Spider-Man #86

Astonishing Member

Astonishing Member

The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man (Amazing Spider-Man #248)

The Bridge (Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man #7-9)