Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Batman Eternal, #4

In "Batman Eternal" #4 by Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, John Layman and Dustin Nguyen, Batman confronts Falcone and struggles with potential trouble from an unlikely quarter: Batgirl.

Full review here.

The story kind of slows down here, but still fairly interesting. I'm getting tired of two page spreads with 600 words though. Do we really need to cram all the dialogue that tight?

Good setup for the Falcone story, setting up character moments very well.

I dont think there is a single thing that I disagree with this review
    very good

Very nice review.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

This book just keeps getting better and better for me!

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Another solid issue. Personally, I prefer Fabok's art from the first 3 issues to the Nguyen/Fridolfs combo here, but I wasn't offended by it. The tension's really ratcheting up: especially looking forward to seeing Jim take on all-comers in Blackgate. Those thugs think they got the best of Gordon?..... they can think again!
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

My big problem with Batman Eternal: does it happen before, during, or after Forever Evil / Arkham War?

In issue #2, we had all the related Bat-Family members reacting to news that Gordon had been arrested except for Dick / Nightwing, which would seem to indicate this was a post-Forever Evil story.

But Batman Eternal #4 has Agatha Zorbatos welcoming Jim Gordon to Blackgate as if this is the first time she's seen him in a while.
    Please, call me Agatha. What an absolute pleasure to see you, Gordon.

I don't think we've had a chance to sit down and talk . . . not since you discharged me from the G.C.P.D.
    This makes it sound like Forever Evil: Arkham War hasn't even happened since Gordon had been involved in rescuing Zorbatos and others when Blackgate was taken over by the prisoners and Bane. And when Gordon is brought inside the prison and walks among those prisoners, there doesn't seem to be any indication / mention of the breakout and takeover in Arkham War.

So, is Arkham War already being forgotten / ignored or something?

Yeah, outside of Dick being gone, Forever Evil is pretty much being ignored.

As it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    Yeah, outside of Dick being gone, Forever Evil is pretty much being ignored.

As it should be.
    I wasn't reading most Forever Evil stuff, but I did buy Arkham War because I thought it might affect some future Bat-stories / continuity.

Would be annoying as hell if Tomasi turns out to be the only Bat-writer who even mentions it in the future.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Eternal takes place after Forever Evil.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I wasn't reading most Forever Evil stuff, but I did buy Arkham War because I thought it might affect some future Bat-stories / continuity.

Would be annoying as hell if Tomasi turns out to be the only Bat-writer who even mentions it in the future.
    Good day Major! Good to see you over here!
    With so many Bat-Titles I guess they can't ALL tie in to each other....? Similar to Life On The Boards, sometimes 'ignoring' is the safest option! :-)
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Batman View Post
    Good day Major! Good to see you over here!
    With so many Bat-Titles I guess they can't ALL tie in to each other....? Similar to Life On The Boards, sometimes 'ignoring' is the safest option! :-)
    But in that case, DC needs disclaimer labels:
    WARNING: Nobody is going to make this story part of future continuity (except maybe somebody like a Grant Morrison)!

Buy at your own risk!

BANNED

Another good issue, but can someone tell me why those cups are floating in the panel when Steph calls her mom? It must mean something but I'm not sure what.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I mean, why would they? Honestly. The story ends up being so inconsequential when you think about it. Batman's gone, the villains fight, Bane wins, Batman comes back and beats Bane. Gotham is back where it started. Nothing's really changed at all. I mean, the big thing that happens is that villains take over... which happens all the time.

Forever Evil in general just isn't going to have that much of an aftershock as originally pitched, the various corners of the universe are all helmed by people who just don't care to be bothered by whatever Johns is doing. Same thing with Gotham being flooded by the Atlanteans. Was that ever once mentioned outside of Justice League and Aquaman? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    . . . Forever Evil in general just isn't going to have that much of an aftershock as originally pitched, the various corners of the universe are all helmed by people who just don't care to be bothered by whatever Johns is doing. Same thing with Gotham being flooded by the Atlanteans. Was that ever once mentioned outside of Justice League and Aquaman? Nope.
    Thank you . . . you keep reminding me of all these good reasons why I never read Geoff Johns' Justice League.