View Poll Results: Was Killing off Logan a Bad Idea?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 45.74%
  • Maybe

6 6.38%
  • No

45 47.87%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    It was kind of annoying how the characters keep treating Old Man Logan as he was 616 Wolverine, except when the plot tell then otherwise.
    I guess you coould say the Marvel Universe went past Reign of the Wolverines and straight into Crisis of Infinite Wolverines.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

It wasn't a bad idea, but its aftermath could have been used better. I mean MORE individual one-shots showcasing of various X-men and Marvel heroes and how Logan/Wolverine influenced their lives would have been a better way to showcase the death better instead of what we got.

Besides: I enjoy Taylor's All new Wolverine and now I'm sad it ended.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It was a good idea at the time. I love how the other writers gave Soule room to tell his story: Bendis shifted All New X-Men's focus away from Logan's school and Hickman removed him from Avengers. Even Remender knew what was up and had Creed stay a good guy after AXIS. Then when Soule gives us Wolverines he drags it out and ends it with his girl, Mystique coming out on top and screwing everyone else over.

Post Secret Wars, Laura is the new Wolverine without any fanfare because both Bendis and Soule squandered their time with her. Old Man Logan survives Battleworld; Lemire made it work but then he appears everywhere as much as original Logan. Hopeless was hopeless. You had two Dakens running around thanks to Taylor and Grace. Then Bunn brings Jimmy Wolverine back for the love triangle drama. So we were back to square one. I don't know what Alonso was even doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It was a good idea at the time. I love how the other writers gave Soule room to tell his story: Bendis shifted All New X-Men's focus away from Logan's school and Hickman removed him from Avengers. Even Remender knew what was up and had Creed stay a good guy after AXIS. Then when Soule gives us Wolverines he drags it out and ends it with his girl, Mystique coming out on top and screwing everyone else over.

Post Secret Wars, Laura is the new Wolverine without any fanfare because both Bendis and Soule squandered their time with her. Old Man Logan survives Battleworld; Lemire made it work but then he appears everywhere as much as original Logan. Hopeless was hopeless. You had two Dakens running around thanks to Taylor and Grace. Then Bunn brings Jimmy Wolverine back for the love triangle drama. So we were back to square one. I don't know what Alonso was even doing.
    And Weapon H, Hulkverine is all the rage .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    There doesn't NEED to be short hairy drunk on a motorcycle driving around Canada digging up his past and there are plenty of impulsive brawlers that throw themselves into a fight amongst the X-Men already.
    This is one reason why I thought they should have given Laura an actual role in Secret Wars beyond a one-panel cameo in one of the tie-in books. Have her be one of the survivors from the main 'verse, make it part of her decision to put on the cowl for the final confrontation, and give her something important to do that helps bring God Doom down, thus fulfilling Destiny's prophecy.

It would have been a great way to pave the way for her role post-Secret Wars, while giving SOME payoff to the end of Wolverines (Destiny said Wolverine would be important to saving the multiverse, she didn't say it would necessarily be Logan).

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Then when Soule gives us Wolverines he drags it out and ends it with his girl, Mystique coming out on top and screwing everyone else over.
    The worst part, as I noted before, was that the end relied on everyone being complete idiots:

Daken and Sharp refuse to help Creed against Siphon after Mystique traps them all together with him, leading first Laura and Deathstrike to lose theirs in their attempt to help. Then they use a hungry Siphon like a bloodhound to track down Mystique. But rather than turn him loose on her, Deathstrike decides to CUT HIS HEAD OFF for to prove some non-existent point. And when Mystique uses a smoke grenade to escape, Yuriko suggests group rest should SPLIT UP TO HUNT THE SHAPESHIFTER. And then LAURA forgets she knew how to identify Mystique when she's in disguise and gets gutted.

BANNED

They killed him off and four more popped up just like a Hydra. It was dumb.

Fantastic Member

Why can't a character retire for a few years instead of dying. No fighting, just living an easy life and villains be happy they aren't facing that problem no more. If wolverine retired instead of dying it be so much better than them magically reappearing again and being up for a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post

The worst part, as I noted before, was that the end relied on everyone being complete idiots:

Daken and Sharp refuse to help Creed against Siphon after Mystique traps them all together with him, leading first Laura and Deathstrike to lose theirs in their attempt to help. Then they use a hungry Siphon like a bloodhound to track down Mystique. But rather than turn him loose on her, Deathstrike decides to CUT HIS HEAD OFF for to prove some non-existent point. And when Mystique uses a smoke grenade to escape, Yuriko suggests group rest should SPLIT UP TO HUNT THE SHAPESHIFTER. And then LAURA forgets she knew how to identify Mystique when she's in disguise and gets gutted.
    The art was bad too. Then Destiny reveals she always knew Raven would try to bring her back to life and cock-blocks her from beyond the grave. Oh my God.

I don't think it was good or bad. I think it led to some great moments, especially with X-23 becoming the new Wolverine. Old Man Logan also had his moments. I really like the role he played throughout the past few years. Granted, it was always going to be finite because Logan was not going to stay dead, but I enjoyed it.

At the same time, though, the whole death did feel like a gimmick. It also felt like part of Marvel's effort to undermine the X-men so they could promote the Inhumans, which didn't work. So in that sense, I think his death was a misguided decision, but not necessarily bad.

That's just my opinion, though.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Remember when characters faked their own deaths, or just asked for time to go away? I still don't know why Wolverine had to actually die.

Jane Foster becoming Thor was a great moment. Laura becomes Wolverine off-screen. Even Daken becomes Wolverine on-panel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Remember when characters faked their own deaths, or just asked for time to go away? I still don't know why Wolverine had to actually die.
    He didn't have to die and we all know he wouldn't stay dead because he was a cash cow.

It's stupid. Just stop killing off characters. Go meta and do it without acknowledging it because we know nothing is ever going to change for good. it's the nature of a product that is built to be indefinite.

BANNED

No.

But replacing him with Old Man Logan and Ultimate Wolverine was a terrible idea that undercut the all-new Wolverine.

And bringing him back is a terrible idea as well.

It's quite a feat by Marvel that they managed to overexpose a character that was supposed to be dead at the time.

With so many wolvie clones I never got a chance to miss him which defeats the whole purpose of giving him a break.

So no, good idea, bad execution.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

It was a sales gimmick