View Poll Results: Was Killing off Logan a Bad Idea?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 45.74%
  • Maybe

6 6.38%
  • No

45 47.87%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It was a bad idea. All they did was try to replace him with vastly inferior character in Old Man Logan. What kind of logic is that replace Wolverine with Wolverine that is old? Of course they did it for movie synergy. Then they renamed X-23 like she needed his name or like there is anything wrong with the name X-23. The only problem with Wolverine was that Marvel decided that he needed 5 solo titles a month and that he needed to be wallpaper in team titles. But that is what happens with popular characters look at Batman, Superman and Spiderman. They all get multiple solos, appear on multiple teams and have a bunch of characters created with basically the same powers. Killing him was a awful gimmick just like these sucky Hunt for minis.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Killing him was fine. Bringing in the constant discount version is what was bad.

We didn't need the clones of clones, AU children, and X-23 turning into Wolverine. And while it happened before his death, we didn't need Daken lol

I agree that part of what made it bad was the number of clones brought in. They could've left it at Laura, but I think they didn't because Marvel overlooked what Wolverine's fan base was about to start with. Laura was never going to cut it for them, so we got a bunch of knock offs until he was resurrected.
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 06-28-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Yes. Two wolverines was fine. Wolvie and Laura were great. Now we have jimmy, gabby, and OML. Not to mention daken also being in the mix of sorts and an inversion sabertooth.

Yes wolverine was everywhere, on so many teams and just popping up places, but it was far better than a wolverine off shoot appearing everywhere so that you then have to keep track of the annoying little ferals

Though to be fair, Laura did get some nice development with him being “gone”.

BANNED

These days, killing any character is a bad (lazy) idea.

If you feel you need to kill someone for your story to matter then you should stop writing, have a long walk, then come back in a more creative mindset.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Yes, but as others have mentioned the bigger issue was oversaturation they simply replaced him with alternative characters and more oversaturation.

Another issue for me is legacy characters, I hate it not the idea but the execution, whether it be Marvel or DC. There's never a long term plan to develop the person taking up the mantle than in comparison to their predecessor. But if the stories surrounding the characters lack the proper depth, influence, or importance they inevitably become secondary placeholders.

There are exceptions but it matters more if the character themselves as themselves are also developed. It's why I wish characters could honor others by keeping their individualism, but through their actions honoring said person.

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    Why can't a character retire for a few years instead of dying. No fighting, just living an easy life and villains be happy they aren't facing that problem no more. If wolverine retired instead of dying it be so much better than them magically reappearing again and being up for a fight.
    No nuance, or long term plan to have or cultivate the sorts of stories that could create compelling narratives, arcs, and development to make sense of an otherwise normal and logical issue.

Since I really liked the All-New Wolverine series, I'm glad they killed off Wolverine for the stint that they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    This could have helped flesh out why she chose to honor him this way (and to those who argued Logan wouldn't have wanted her to do it, so what? It was her choice to make, not his).
    I'm not sure Logan would've disapproved as much as some people think; his big thing seemed to be that he wanted her to do better than he did and I think that she arguably succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    It was kind of annoying how the characters keep treating Old Man Logan as he was 616 Wolverine, except when the plot tell then otherwise.
    Well, the idea that OML Logan and 616 Logan were different people was the central point of the All-New Wolverine "Civil War II" story, and I think that they made it understandable why the characters would want to think they were the same and why they realized that wasn't the case.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

No. Wolverine being overused wasn't just a problem for the books(that wasn't solved thanks to OML being everywhere anyway), but also for his character. It was good for him to take some time.

It was a pointless idea seeing that they immediately brought OML who behaved pretty much exactly like 616 Logan and even the characters didn't treat him much differently.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

What if the plan the whole time was because Marvel was so certain they could just carry on the over saturation they had no fear of killing off Logan?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

No! But it was poorly executed. Anyways, I like my Wolverine dead.
    Last edited by Cyke is Slim; 06-29-2018 at 02:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    It was a pointless idea seeing that they immediately brought OML who behaved pretty much exactly like 616 Logan and even the characters didn't treat him much differently.
    Except when it was plot convenient. lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Except when it was plot convenient. lol
    I think the only person who consistently did was Laura, and I liked how strained their relationship was and that it never truly defrosted both over the fact she knew he wasn't "her" Logan, and his actions during the CWII tie-in.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

No killing him was fine since he got a break. Its what they did next that made a mess.
    X-Men Forever

Right idea, terrible execution