Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Morbius

Just saw it on Netflix... It was okay. As others have said, it's not terrible, but it's not special in any way. It came across to me as "Venom" (mixed with "Amazing Spider-Man 2's" story) but without the weird, cringey humor. I'm actually surprised Leto was as restrained as he was, but maybe that would've helped this movie, as its fatal flaw was that it was just kinda boring. I feel like it just needed a few added or re-written scenes to make us care about these bland characters or build their relationships more, so that the plot would have some emotional depth.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-16-2022 at 07:56 PM.

Amazing Member

It was a decent B movie. it would have killed in the 90s, now it just kinda got lost in the background. No one ever streamed the Spider-Man or Venom movies so seeing this on Netflix was a nice surprise.

Unglaublich!

I finally watched this last night on Amazon (£1.99 to rent for 30 days here in the UK) and it was... OK. It wasn't horrendous and it wasn't great; it was OK. Aside from the post credits scenes, there was nothing connecting it to the Spider-Man universe within the movie (except for him saying "I'm Venom") so, to the general moviegoer, it could just be a random "superhero" film.

Did I spot a not so subtle X-Men reference when Nicholas was saying about "a school for gifted children in New York"...? Seemed a very specific way of referring to something that would have no connection to Morbius.

With all the CGI, it felt like neither Jared Leto or Matt Smith actually had very much to do. The whole thing just sort of wandered along until the end credits rolled. I didn't find it particularly exciting or boring... it was a movie that started and ended, and nothing more than that for me.

The post credits scenes though. They felt very shoe-horned into it! As someone else noted, where did Toomes get his Vulture outfit from in this new universe?? He just appears in a prison from thin air and he's released almost automatically, then seeks out Morbius for... reasons. Very odd to me! No mention of Spider-Man throughout the entire film and then, when Toomes mentions him, no reaction from Morbius at all. Odd, again.

It could've been a lot better, but it could also have been a lot worse. I don't have very high hopes for Sony's Spider-Universe based on this and the Venom movies, if I'm honest!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'll believe a sequel is for real when the cameras start to roll the film.

I'm for it, by the way.

The film we got was totally predictable in so many ways but it was entertaining.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Where/how the hell did Toomes get his gear in the universe he was zapped to?

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

It's a different costume so the implication is he built a new one. Despite the old one running on alien tech.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    It's a different costume so the implication is he built a new one. Despite the old one running on alien tech.
    We never knew where he got the original one anyway. Did he pillage it, did he biuld it? Either way, we can assume he's smart enough to rebuild it or steal it again.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    We never knew where he got the original one anyway. Did he pillage it, did he biuld it? Either way, we can assume he's smart enough to rebuild it or steal it again.
    Tinkerer built it from a box of scraps, in a warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I feel as though that part is obvious.

But there’s no indication of time between Toomes being released from jail, and then meeting up with Morbius. So many questions about....how did he get the money? Resources? Materials?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post

But there’s no indication of time between Toomes being released from jail, and then meeting up with Morbius. So many questions about....how did he get the money? Resources? Materials?
    A loan from the Bank of Evil?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post

He was a smart guy he figured something out I guess I'm sure if he can reverse engineer ultron and Chitauri stuff with the tinker he probably learned how to replicate it at least close anuff maybe he hit a few banks to get going or just had the know how to make it from scrap metal and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    He was a smart guy he figured something out I guess I'm sure if he can reverse engineer ultron and Chitauri stuff with the tinker he probably learned how to replicate it at least close anuff maybe he hit a few banks to get going or just had the know how to make it from scrap metal and what not.
    Yeah. Sure. Anything can be No-Prized to explain away.

Doesn’t mean it didn’t take me out of the moment.

Agree with the general "meh" sentiment about the movie. It benefited from having good actors in the four leads.
    As for the post credits. The whole thing in Spider-Man Homecoming was he was getting it all from abandoned Chitauri tech. But a homeless man with no connections in this world can just build a flying wing suit. Sure.
    But more strange is Mobius spends the entire movie trying not to be a villain, but now he is just joining with a bad guy? Huh?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Agree with the general "meh" sentiment about the movie. It benefited from having good actors in the four leads.
    As for the post credits. The whole thing in Spider-Man Homecoming was he was getting it all from abandoned Chitauri tech. But a homeless man with no connections in this world can just build a flying wing suit. Sure.
    But more strange is Mobius spends the entire movie trying not to be a villain, but now he is just joining with a bad guy? Huh?
    People in the comics have made far more powerful stuff with no explanation I don't have a problem with it. As for Mobius he didn't joint anyone he just met with him.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    People in the comics have made far more powerful stuff with no explanation I don't have a problem with it. As for Mobius he didn't joint anyone he just met with him.
    If you don't think the scene was setting up Morbius to team w/ Vulture, IDK what to say...LOL.