Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Morbius

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    What time period is the House of Gucci set in?
    Their marriage ends in 1985 after 12 years. So I'd wager its between the 70s and 80s.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashio...of-gucci-movie

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Their marriage ends in 1985 after 12 years. So I'd wager its between the 70s and 80s.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashio...of-gucci-movie
    Well it would make sense that they use older songs in that.

Ultimate Member

That song is People are Strange by the Doors. It was written in the 1960s. Its not an 80s song even if used in a 80s movie. I have heard people complain about the use of these old songs in trailers but these are classic songs. That song by the Doors was used in the lost boys soundtrack. But it wasn't even contemporary for that time. Now that soundtrack if I recall had a mix of older and newer songs at the time. I am no soundtrack expert but hasn't the latest Shang Chi and Black Panther had many contemporary songs? Different movies have different vibes to them. Heck the entire soundtrack to Morbius could be new songs. But they just use this one in the trailer. It just really depends on the movie.
    But it seems to be every trailer. Just randomly throwing in a classic rock song whether it fits or not. Why not be more inventive?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    But it seems to be every trailer. Just randomly throwing in a classic rock song whether it fits or not. Why not be more inventive?
    I mean the people who market these movies have been doing it for a long time. I personally don't care as long as its a catchy song.

Ultimate Member

I mean the people who market these movies have been doing it for a long time. I personally don't care as long as its a catchy song.
    Marketing people don't seem to live in the real world, though. There are so many dumb commercials everyday that make me think "Why did they do this?" So, if anything, a random old song takes me out of it because I'd rather just see what the movie is about and not live for nostalgia for some bygone age

The first Morbius trailer used Fur Elise in the track.

Look up the age on that song.

Marketing people don't seem to live in the real world, though. There are so many dumb commercials everyday that make me think "Why did they do this?" So, if anything, a random old song takes me out of it because I'd rather just see what the movie is about and not live for nostalgia for some bygone age
    I think their point is they wouldn't be in the business of marketing for so long if their tactics weren't working. You, personally, may not like them but others do. These are popular songs that a lot of people like, so using them makes sense as it helps evoke positive feelings.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    The first Morbius trailer used Fur Elise in the track.

Look up the age on that song.
    At least it was a change of pace. Although I thought it was an odd addition too.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I think their point is they wouldn't be in the business of marketing for so long if their tactics weren't working. You, personally, may not like them but others do. These are popular songs that a lot of people like, so using them makes sense as it helps evoke positive feelings.
    Being in business doesn't necessarily correlated with being good at business. I've heard that about marketing at least, albeit anecdotally. But I still haven't seen a good explanation for any of this trend. It's like the Uncharted trailer. What does Led Zeppelin have to do with it or the games? What good feelings are they trying to evoke, and from whom? Boomers? Gen X-ers? Redditors who wish they were born in 1963?

Astonishing Member

At least it was a change of pace. Although I thought it was an odd addition too.

Being in business doesn't necessarily correlated with being good at business. I've heard that about marketing at least, albeit anecdotally. But I still haven't seen a good explanation for any of this trend. It's like the Uncharted trailer. What does Led Zeppelin have to do with it or the games? What good feelings are they trying to evoke, and from whom? Boomers? Gen X-ers? Redditors who wish they were born in 1963?

I mean I don't know dude. Does the fact that People are Strange playing in the trailer really bother you this much? I find that a little odder than the fact that they are using it lol

It does when they've been doing it as long as they have. Companies don't generally stay in business for decades by continuously doing things that don't work/bring in revenue.

And the feeling would depend on the song and/or movie. Sometimes they want to hype the viewer up, as in a fast-paced action flick like Uncharted. In this instance it seems, they want to appeal to the nostalgia of Lost Boys fans and evoke a eerie/creepy feeling, which fits the material (vampires.)

Ultimate Member

I mean I don't know dude. Does the fact that People are Strange playing in the trailer really bother you this much? I find that a little odder than the fact that they are using it lol
    It's not just one song. It's the nostalgia trend I don't totally understand

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    It does when they've been doing it as long as they have. Companies don't generally stay in business for decades by continuously doing things that don't work/bring in revenue.

And the feeling would depend on the song and/or movie. Sometimes they want to hype the viewer up, as in a fast-paced action flick like Uncharted. In this instance it seems, they want to appeal to the nostalgia of Lost Boys fans and evoke a eerie/creepy feeling, which fits the material (vampires.)
    I can see the Lost Boys thing but a lot of other ones make no sense to me.

It's not just one song. It's the nostalgia trend I don't totally understand
    I think the “I don’t understand” is probably the most important part.

And guess what? That’s OK. You don’t have to, and you don’t need to.

Should I refrain from adding in the fact that nostalgia has always been a thing (Not a trend, unless referring to nostalgia of a specific decade) and has been used in various forms of entertainment since before we were all born?

I can see the Lost Boys thing but a lot of other ones make no sense to me.
    That's probably due to a "you" problem, which is fine.

Exactly.