Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Morbius

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Oh, are they still doing this?
    ...did, did you think they weren't?

I've always had a soft spot for Morbius - especially when he's not painted as a simple villain. Tortured monsterman is a popular archetype for a reason. I was disappointed in how they handled Venom, but I have fairly high hopes that this will be better.

I have a soft spot for him and I hope it does well.

Mighty Member

I would have honestly been amazed if they had pulled off another Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would have honestly been amazed if they had pulled off another Venom.
    Weren't the reviews for venom terrible?

Astonishing Member

Venom at least looks cool and Tom Hardy plays lovable losers well. Morbius as a character though doesn't look as cool, doesn't have the comedy that Venom had in the trailers, and seems to have been made solely to exploit the popularity of vampires. I'm not surprised it's flunking the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Venom at least looks cool and Tom Hardy plays lovable losers well. Morbius as a character though doesn't look as cool, doesn't have the comedy that Venom had in the trailers, and seems to have been made solely to exploit the popularity of vampires. I'm not surprised it's flunking the way it is.
    Plus Jared Leto isn't a likable actor. He's constantly in the news for suspect shit.

Astonishing Member

Yeah Venom is just more popular/iconic, Hardy owned the role and audiences decided to ride or die with him accordingly.

This time bad reviews about the "second coming of Catwoman" might actually leave a mark.

Personally the trailer always made me hope Morbius would lean on the horror elements, but because it has to be blockbuster superhero fare, I wondered if I was looking at some Dark Universe/Mummy style experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Weren't the reviews for venom terrible?
    Yeah, but he's still too popular and cool in an edgy way so it ended up working out.

Mighty Member

I dont’t think there was much anticipation for this one. Much like New Mutants, it seems to a movie no one wanted. Even Matt Smith said he had no idea who his Character was.

And lets face it, the movie is already losing points simply having Leto as the lead. He is like this Generation’s Shia Labeouf, but worse. You put him as the Joker and he comes out basically doing as much harm as he can.
    There are a million other actors who are better than him, and he doesn’t really have the star power anymore to really stand out.

However saying that, I do want to watch it. Not because I think it’ll impress me, but because it looks so awful I think it might actually be a blast to watch.

Thing is Venom a) is a wildly popular character that even non-comic fans recognize and love, and b) had Tom Hardy giving an memorably gonzo performance that embraced the absurdity of the character.

Neither Venom movie was good, but they were fun if that was your bag.
    Personally, I thought they were a blast.

Morbius, however, is no Venom and Jared Leto is no Tom Hardy. Based on the reviews so far, Morbius looks like it's Venom with none of the fun and goofiness that made those movies work.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Thing is Venom a) is a wildly popular character that even non-comic fans recognize and love, and b) had Tom Hardy giving an memorably gonzo performance that embraced the absurdity of the character.

Neither Venom movie was good, but they were fun if that was your bag.
    Personally, I thought they were a blast.

Morbius, however, is no Venom and Jared Leto is no Tom Hardy. Based on the reviews so far, Morbius looks like it's Venom with none of the fun and goofiness that made those movies work.
    In addition...

The "Alien..." half of Venom was essentially a character in the films that folks seem to have really loved.

Nothing that I have seen so far really points to that the "Vampire..." part of the Morbius character will be anything like that.