Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Morbius

Isn't the alien costume having more of a seperate voice/persona than Eddie one of the more recent developments in the comics?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Isn't the alien costume having more of a seperate voice/persona than Eddie one of the more recent developments in the comics?
    Its implied to have a persona for a while now, an actual voice is more recent (last 10 years?) but its occasionally communicated in narration boxes

Astonishing Member

So a film that's been constantly delayed ends up being a stinker? Colour me shocked!

Worst part is this was a early fan event the bad reviews are from! So the reactions were less big movie critics and more comic fans!

Astonishing Member

I mean, the delays didn't help it any. But now you have Matt Smith coming out saying he didn't understand his character or the script. I usually reserve judgement until I see things, but I was iffy on this to start with (despite loving Morbius). But none of what I am hearing is good. At all.

This thing looked like hot garbage from the start, so I'm not surprised early fan reviews aren't good.

Mighty Member

We'll see if poor reviews stick to this one. They didn't when it came to Venom.

Thing is, I think this film has been doomed since they cast Leto. He's just not leading man material, no matter how hard Hollywood tries to make fetch happen.

Compare with Venom. Both Venom films are complete messes. But they know that, don't attempt to hide it and and just roll with the absurdity. Which, unless you're going to go full horror, is really the only way to handle 'man bonds with parasitic alien who can control his body against his will and speaks to him with a voice only he can hear.' Even Hardy clearly recognizes that the entire project is absurdity and throws himself at a performance that is part camp, part utterly fearless goofball. It's Hardy's attitude and commitment that carries those films, and I suspect it is what fans connected with. Bad movies? Sure. But rollicking good fun. And sometimes that's all you want from a film.

This film appears to want to take itself too seriously, right down to a method acting Jared Leto who has neithrt hope of embracing the premise's ridiculousness nor the charm and charisma to transcend the material and make it compelling the way Hardy did.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    We'll see if poor reviews stick to this one. They didn't when it came to Venom.

Thing is, I think this film has been doomed since they cast Leto. He's just not leading man material, no matter how hard Hollywood tries to make fetch happen.

Compare with Venom. Both Venom films are complete messes. But they know that, don't attempt to hide it and and just roll with the absurdity. Which, unless you're going to go full horror, is really the only way to handle 'man bonds with parasitic alien who can control his body against his will and speaks to him with a voice only he can hear.' Even Hardy clearly recognizes that the entire project is absurdity and throws himself at a performance that is part camp, part utterly fearless goofball. It's Hardy's attitude and commitment that carries those films, and I suspect it is what fans connected with. Bad movies? Sure. But rollicking good fun. And sometimes that's all you want from a film.

This film appears to want to take itself too seriously, right down to a method acting Jared Leto who has neithrt hope of embracing the premise's ridiculousness nor the charm and charisma to transcend the material and make it compelling the way Hardy did.
    Venom in general is also way more marketable than Morbius is. Always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Venom in general is also way more marketable than Morbius is. Always has been.
    Yep.

Even after the near miss back in the "MKI..." films, folks have been totally ready for them to attempt Vemon a second time.

Morbius?

Nowhere near the level of folks trying to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Venom at least looks cool and Tom Hardy plays lovable losers well. Morbius as a character though doesn't look as cool, doesn't have the comedy that Venom had in the trailers, and seems to have been made solely to exploit the popularity of vampires. I'm not surprised it's flunking the way it is.
    Are vampires still that popular? There was a period- mostly between the late 90's to the early/mid 2010's - where you had multiple hot properties like Buffy, Underworld, Twilight, and Vampire Diaries. But those properties have either ended or been relegated to comics. I can't think of the last vampire MOVIE that's been a hit. Last one I saw in theaters was the last Underworld movie.

And Morbius himself isn't one of the more popular characters, at least to my knowledge. Heck, the most I know about him came from the 90's cartoon- and in that, he wasn't allowed to suck blood with his fangs. Instead he drained 'plasma' with mouths on his hands.

I really don't know why this movie exists. Well, I do- Sony want's their shared universe. But why they chose THIS character is beyond me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Are vampires still that popular?
    They seem to be in blockbuster limbo but studios definitely want a genre revival. Besides Morbius and a new Blade, Nic Cage will play Dracula so we'll see.

Are vampires still that popular? There was a period- mostly between the late 90's to the early/mid 2010's - where you had multiple hot properties like Buffy, Underworld, Twilight, and Vampire Diaries. But those properties have either ended or been relegated to comics. I can't think of the last vampire MOVIE that's been a hit. Last one I saw in theaters was the last Underworld movie.

And Morbius himself isn't one of the more popular characters, at least to my knowledge. Heck, the most I know about him came from the 90's cartoon- and in that, he wasn't allowed to suck blood with his fangs. Instead he drained 'plasma' with mouths on his hands.

I really don't know why this movie exists. Well, I do- Sony want's their shared universe. But why they chose THIS character is beyond me.

One guy's guess...

Someone over there took one look at the "Netflix..." Marvel shows, and took to formulating a plan.

Micheal doesn't take?

No biggie, and you just keep right on trucking.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    So a film that's been constantly delayed ends up being a stinker? Colour me shocked!
    Meh I'll wait to see it before I say it's bad I never trust what anyone says about movies.

There was a period- mostly between the late 90's to the early/mid 2010's - where you had multiple hot properties like Buffy, Underworld, Twilight, and Vampire Diaries.
    I'd also count Blade among those ranks. And there was True Blood.

Hell, you could argue that the period had it's origins in the early 90s with Interview with a Vampire and Gary Oldman's Dracula.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    They seem to be in blockbuster limbo but studios definitely want a genre revival. Besides Morbius and a new Blade, Nic Cage will play Dracula so we'll see.
    I mean, that one is a comedy so not sure that is meant to help a genre revival.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I mean, that one is a comedy so not sure that is meant to help a genre revival.
    I didn't look into what they were going for with Renfield, but after The Invisible Man I felt I was going to watch it no matter what it was about.