Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Dynamite Acquires Will Eisner's "The Spirit"

In a pre-Comic-Con announcement, Dynamite has revealed that it plans to publish new adventures of legendary creator Will Eisner's "The Spirit."

Full article here.

Dynamite's doing a great job with its new books. Seriously, I would have never thought most of the monthly titles I read today would be Dynamite.

Now, put Matt Wagner on it!

This is fantastic news. The Cooke run really proved that the character could update and be exciting and interesting. If they can avoid the temptation to make it gritty and sleazy (which is a big part of what sank the film, apart from the fact that Miller is not now nor is he ever going to be a real film director), this will be a definite addition to my pull list!

I thought Dynamite might have picked up the license when they got Doc Savage.

Interesting to see what theyll do with it.

BANNED

cool, i had a hunch they might try to acquire the property, to go with the rest of their pulp line.

i doubt i'll actually pick it up though, i'm kinda over the pulp thing already...

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

That's nice. I hope they get a good artist for it because honestly, most of the artists they have working on their series are rather... meh.

I would love to see Cooke return to this character and do some more with it. Loved his run with the character.

All-New Member

This may be the worst thing to happen to The Spirit since Frank Miller made a movie...

BANNED

This is awesome!!!!!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Am I the only one that's been completely underwhelmed by Dynamite? It seems like they swoop up these properties left and right, only to do incredibly mediocre things with them. An exception would be the Gold Key characters; those books are all pretty good.

On the other hand, I've never been a fan of The Spirit, so I should just shut up...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by batlash View Post
    This may be the worst thing to happen to The Spirit since Frank Miller made a movie...
    Let's at least give it a try before making such a statement.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by eallengd View Post
    Let's at least give it a try before making such a statement.
    I'm more than willing to be proven wrong. In fact, I'd love to be proven wrong (are you listening, Dynamite?). But based on what I've seen of most of Dynamite's output, I'm just not at all optimistic. I've been very unimpressed with what they've done so far with any of their licensed characters.

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

I'm on board, the pulp stuff from Dynamite has been stellar and I'm always game for more. Bring it on!

BANNED

I'm game, but i've never read the original Will Eisner comics. I hope i can someday get a delicious collection of the classic Spirit.

I'd love for them to put out a new reprint series, less pricey than the archives.

Amazing Member

I'm hoping they'll publish Frank Miller's Spirit storyboards