Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 244 View Post
    Bendis did gave Magik some humanity which was sorely lacking in her character so I disagree. I can tell he read a lot of her back-issues in preparation of her character.
    I could not disagree more. On either points.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I thought I was the only one that LOVED sinister, but not evil, "I'm not that good, and will leave my brother partially possessed just to prove a point"- Illyana. It's like she's actually been turned into the snowflake that she told Colossus she wasn't... By you know, leaving him possessed by a demon for several months.
    Loved her return and journey up until UXM under Gillen, it felt cohesive and representative of her return, everything that she lost, and everything she was willing to do to get it back even if losing apart of herself.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Kinda on topic but maybe not really, I was re-reading New Mutants V3 last week and this is such a good ending scene. Shame the book becomes kinda pointless after Zeb Wells' run ends.

��

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I thought I was the only one that LOVED sinister, but not evil, "I'm not that good, and will leave my brother partially possessed just to prove a point"- Illyana. It's like she's actually been turned into the snowflake that she told Colossus she wasn't... By you know, leaving him possessed by a demon for several months.
    Even Magik wanted to be a better person despite her circumstances. I'm a somewhat sentimental person so I'm not a fan of morally grey characters.
    Last edited by 244; 06-29-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

...I could see both sides of the argument here...the bendis change was a little abrupt though...

Gotta admit, i'am a little curious about the fall out from the wedding debacle, even if I liked the twist.

I can't believe Kurt and Rachel are still a thing. Does anyone honestly care about them together?

Also I don't see how Kitty's character can be redeemed. She is just such a bitch right now. Maybe she should be the next X-Men that gets killed off or something? I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    God, I miss THIS Illyana, I still hold that Bendis was the worst thing to happen to her, I don't think she needed to be dark or moody all the time but imho his portrayal was so different than anything she was for years up until that point.
    This 100%. It was like Bendis completely undid all the work past writers did on her character and she became so boring. It was really disappointing to see.

What was the problem with Bendis take on Magik?, i mean i know that Bendis+Stablished character go as well as water and oil but i want to know the details.

Bendis wrote one of the best Illyana in recent history. Loved his take on her. She was quite fun

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    What was the problem with Bendis take on Magik?, i mean i know that Bendis+Stablished character go as well as water and oil but i want to know the details.
    Let's just say some fans prefer characters that are morally grey and edgy. I won't say that's a bad thing because we all have our own opinions about different characters but I don't think being morally grey is what Magik needs for her character ever since she embarked on her quest of regaining her humanity.

As for Bendis, he sort of (re)humanized Magik.
    Last edited by 244; 06-30-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    The era of Kiotr is over. Guggenheim is one of the last of the generation of writers who actively read UXM in the early '80s.
    Yeah, okay. People have been wanting kitty to get with Rachel and illyana for decades and yet Kiotr has remained a thing throughout.

Some people just wanna hate on a ‘ship, no matter how prevalent it continues to be.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Also I don't see how Kitty's character can be redeemed. She is just such a bitch right now. Maybe she should be the next X-Men that gets killed off or something? I just don't know.
    Here's a better idea: have Kitty screw up badly on a mission and several of her team mates call her out on it. Also, when was the last time Kitty underwent significant character progression? Like what lessons have she learned especially from past mistakes in order to grow as a better person?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 244 View Post
    Here's a better idea: have Kitty screw up badly on a mission and several of her team mates call her out on it. Also, when was the last time Kitty underwent significant character progression? Like what lessons have she learned especially from past mistakes in order to grow as a better person?
    Probably during whedon’s run? Bendis’ entire usage of Kitty was basically one huge age regression where he wrote her as her teenage self again, essentially, so you could say she grew up all over again since bendis, but gold hasn’t really shown kitty learning anything.

But really, it isn’t a unique lack of progression for kitty.. marvel basically lives off of keeping their characters the same rather than progress them in any significant, lasting way.

Kind of a bit too late for being called out, though there were times ororo or anyone really could have bothered to say maybe this isn’t the best plan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    He gave her back a shred of humanity instead of keeping her an amoral manipulative person 100% of the time like she was under Gillen. The weird thing is that was exactly what Gillen said he wanted to to with her, to explore what it meant for someone who had literally lost their soul to find it again, but he never did. Instead Gillen had her act even more heartless than she had before she had regained her soul. Bendis' Illyana still had an edge about her, still spouted great one liners, still scared everyone else, but she had a sense of vulnerability that was missing before. Some people only want Magik to be the badass evil person she was in AvX, while people who were fans of the character from before tended to really appreciate what Bendis did with her, which was the closest anyone has come to how Claremont wrote her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Bendis wrote one of the best Illyana in recent history. Loved his take on her. She was quite fun
    he gave her humour, but she was also still a bad ass in a fight, better than that Sapna BS

One of the (unintentionally) funniest parts of IvX was Sapna asking for Magik's help (like an optional side quest) and she's just like "I don't have time for this I'm busy!"

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

So, he gave Rachel the push to want to be more than just friends with Kurt?

As in the desire was there but she never acted on it until he started messing with her head?

Sounds like a set up to break Rachel and Kurt up later as I doubt Rachel would be able to accept any of it as real.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    He gave her back a shred of humanity instead of keeping her an amoral manipulative person 100% of the time like she was under Gillen. The weird thing is that was exactly what Gillen said he wanted to to with her, to explore what it meant for someone who had literally lost their soul to find it again, but he never did. Instead Gillen had her act even more heartless than she had before she had regained her soul. Bendis' Illyana still had an edge about her, still spouted great one liners, still scared everyone else, but she had a sense of vulnerability that was missing before. Some people only want Magik to be the badass evil person she was in AvX, while people who were fans of the character from before tended to really appreciate what Bendis did with her, which was the closest anyone has come to how Claremont wrote her.
    To be honest Gillen's team was written as if everyone was evil. Bendis' Illyana is closer to mischievous one you got when she was on New Mutants vol. 1.