Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Classic Superman is the pre-Crisis one. He's gone as much as NuSuperman.
    Eh, you know what I meant

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Eh, you know what I meant
    Yes, I know. I just wanted to clarify. Btw, nice new avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by korath View Post
    eh, you know what i meant
    good avatar... I liked this moment too.

I canīt understand why there are people worried about this.. Maybe this superman will die here or never will return..

SIDEWAYS ANNUAL #1
    U.S. Price: $4.99ON SALE 11/7
    Sideways unleashes his “super” secret weapon against Perrus in an effort to free the oppressed people and escape to his home dimension. He’ll get some additional help from the newly discovered Seven Soldiers, but only if someone makes a heroic ultimate sacrifice. Plus, a bonus backup story in which Sideways meets the Unseen!!
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-18-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    I don't think that's the real New 52 Superman. The real version has merged with the up to new 52 version. This one is more likely to have a temporary appearance and after an annual comic he won't appear.
    The first part is quite possible. Could just be based on the original idea of New 52 Superman, which frankly was entirely the product of Morrison, and then really only continued by Pak afterwards (and I'd argue Soule got it right later on in SM/WW as well) But maybe this guy really has no history beyond that original Morrison inspiration. And hey I think that'd be awesome enough. The second part would be a major missed opportunity, not to mention rather a douche move on DC's part.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-18-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The first part is quite possible. Could just be based on the original idea of New 52 Superman, which frankly was entirely the product of Morrison, and then really only continued by Pak afterwards (and I'd argue Soule got it right later on in SM/WW as well) But maybe this guy really has no history beyond that original Morrison inspiration. And hey I think that'd be awesome enough. The second part would be a major missed opportunity, not to mention rather a douche move on DC's part.
    This is a swan song for him, a chance for Morrison to give his creation a better sendoff. Ideally he’ll get an Earth of his own to go back to, but there’s zero chance he’s going to get his own ongoing or whatever. Not to say I wouldn’t read a Morrison Superman ongoing featuring this guy, but the odds are slim to none.

BANNED

Feedback is key. It might be intended as a one-off, but good word of mouth can always lead to something else down the pipeline.

Morrison is an easy sell for what Didio may be planning, and it's also a healthy risk for the publisher to take one of his more divisive projects and try to course correct, it takes the pressure off of other writers.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

LOL, I feel bad that the only page he was apparently in is posted for free. I don't as strongly want to buy this issue if that's the case. But the annual for sure and the issue after it, I think, if his story continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This is a swan song for him, a chance for Morrison to give his creation a better sendoff. Ideally he’ll get an Earth of his own to go back to, but there’s zero chance he’s going to get his own ongoing or whatever. Not to say I wouldn’t read a Morrison Superman ongoing featuring this guy, but the odds are slim to none.
    I'm not convinced at all of that for a few reasons. One reason is of course I'm a fan and have wanted it brought back from the day it was announced it was being axed. So I'll get the bias acknowledgement out of the way first. But, its far from all that; there's other reasons. One, this is Didio bringing him back, and Didio is a fan of younger incarnations. Not at all out of the realm of imagination that he's trying to find a situation in which to utilize that alongside the main line with all the history. Also, the Morrison version in particular has no need for a swan song if he was never to be seen again. He told the story he wanted to tell in his run, and even further more it was entirely possible, perhaps even intentional on his part, to link up his New 52 run as his ideal Superman's beginning, and then view his All-Star Superman as his ideal Superman's ending. With all that in consideration, I hope Didio brought him back for a reason far less underwhelming than an unnecessary send-off. Thirdly, doing this just to kill him off or send him off seems unnecessarily cruel. Why get his fans hopes up like this just to disappoint them all over again? Its wholly unnecessary.

So yeah, long story short, this as a swan song would be stupid.

Miles also might be onto something that maybe Didio also wants to gauge the feedback.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-18-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Hot take; It's not a good idea to bring back Jeans & T-Shirt Superman even if it's to put him on a separate New 52/Ultimate Marvel inspired Earth in the Multiverse. I'm aware how unpopular this will be on here but the Superman canon was considered messed up with Reborn trying to fuse Post Crisis and New 52 continuity under one roof. Trying to bring back a second canon version of Superman will be even more confusing for readers. I said this before Last Days of Superman and I'll say it again; DC have to pick one mainstream Superman and stick with it. They can't try to appease both sides of the Superman fandom who either want a younger brasher Superman or a wiser experienced one.

It worked for decades once upon a time. And with all the alternate universe/imaginary story/Elseworld/call-it-whatever-you-like stuff since that original concept was axed, its hard to make the argument that it would be too confusing for comic fans today. If something's been par for course for them for almost a century, why now would it be too difficult to grasp? If anything its even easier and more acceptable. Not only comic fans get it these days, but also your general audiences due to comic book films and a host of other pop culture entertainment concepts that have "rebooted". No way it would be too confusing. They can very much try to appease more than one side. You can't please everyone, but there's absolutely no shame in trying to appeal to the most that you can. I see no logic in the idea that you have to pick one Superman and stick with it.

The only potential downside to this is in resources. You have to give most of your attention to your main line, so do you have the resources to go outside of that? I would imagine they do with all the other imprints they're constantly trying. But that's the only potential roadblock. Not in people being confused. Hell, even if we imagine for a moment fans just stopped understanding the alternate reality concept, its not like comic book fans don't roll with confusing concepts all the time anyway. And certainly not in there needing to be only one Superman. That pretty much flies in the face of Superman's entire history. There hasn't been just one incarnation since the very first year of his existence.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-18-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Classic Superman is the pre-Crisis one. He's gone as much as NuSuperman.
    It would be awesome if he's still out there somewhere too. I'd love to see a Super-book that's just all the Supermen from the previous continuities. Nuperman alongside pre-Crisis Superman alongside maybe post-Crisis Superman or classic E-2 Superman. Make it a Super-team! Sort of like what Peter David wanted to do with all the different Supergirls!
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    It would be awesome if he's still out there somewhere too. I'd love to see a Super-book that's just all the Supermen from the previous continuities. Nuperman alongside pre-Crisis Superman alongside maybe post-Crisis Superman or classic E-2 Superman. Make it a Super-team! Sort of like what Peter David wanted to do with all the different Supergirls!
    That's a cool idea worth of a 12-issue event maxiseries.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Hot take; It's not a good idea to bring back Jeans & T-Shirt Superman even if it's to put him on a separate New 52/Ultimate Marvel inspired Earth in the Multiverse. I'm aware how unpopular this will be on here but the Superman canon was considered messed up with Reborn trying to fuse Post Crisis and New 52 continuity under one roof. Trying to bring back a second canon version of Superman will be even more confusing for readers. I said this before Last Days of Superman and I'll say it again; DC have to pick one mainstream Superman and stick with it. They can't try to appease both sides of the Superman fandom who either want a younger brasher Superman or a wiser experienced one.
    Actually, they can. IF they treat it like a sort of Earth 2 situation where he gets a stand alone book or the whole New 52 Earth gets it's own stand alone title. Obviously the only people who are going to buy it will be people who like that version so it's not like it's competing with the main books. Everyone gets something they want. And if it bombs, they just cancel it. It's a calculated risk but not a bad one. Think of the Smallville comic being published alongside the main line. Or Earth One. Which they don't appear to be doing anything with any time soon anyway.
    Assassinate Putin!

Wasn't the Pre-Crisis multiverse restored after Convergence?

It was and it wasn't. It was in the sense that it was stated to have done that, but it had to be explained after the fact because the way it was written in the actual book was so incoherent. It wasn't in the sense that it hasn't been used in actual practice whatsoever. Nothing from Convergence ever really ended up being explored in depth or respected as canon materials outside of the Convergence Superman eventually taking over (which was eventually retconned out in of itself). Everything else was either just outright ignored or just faded away as the Convergence spin-offs after the fact crashed and burned. Snyder is doing his own thing with the Multiverse concept these days, so it will probably get a whole new official spin as it is once again. With his storylines, such as the Source Wall breaking and the multiverse "dying", its setting up a major redefining.

This is one reason why I think his major crossover in 2019 is indeed a proper Crisis. And with a change in landscape of the Multiverse (while essentially leaving the main line alone insofar as keeping Earth-0 as it is for the most part), its the perfect time to attempt something like a companion Earth. Its another reason that Didio doing this now with the New 52 (or at least New52-like) Superman is conspicuous. Beyond an ill-conceived sending out party or brief nod.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-18-2018 at 04:25 PM.