Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I wonder if the "maybe we'll meet in again in a years time" means that the current plan is to see this Superman in next years Sideways annual.
    Or the next big event that Scott Snyder & Brian Bendis are planning?

I think that's it. Especially if its a Crisis. The specific pointing out of a year later I found telling from the start, considering I think by the time Snyder's event gets rolling, current continuity will have made the Doomsday Clock jump. Which is a year later narratively.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

And let's be honest, the odds of Sideways surviving another year is questionable. It's a damn good book and its one of the best selling New Age titles (I think?) but another twelve issues? We might not be that lucky.

Here's hoping Nuperman (and Sideways!) shows up like a boss for the next Crisis!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And let's be honest, the odds of Sideways surviving another year is questionable. It's a damn good book and its one of the best selling New Age titles (I think?) but another twelve issues? We might not be that lucky.

Here's hoping Nuperman (and Sideways!) shows up like a boss for the next Crisis!
    It's averaging around the 12k, if I'm not mistaken, so not the best (The Terrifics) but not the worst (The Silencer and Curse of Brimstone) from the ongoing series. Even if Brimstone went from 10k to 28k in October, possibly because of the lenticular and artist effect (the lenticular definitively played a part, but compared to the other NAoH books, the amount was insane : all the others enjoyed a boost from 3000 to 5000 more copies, if I'm not mixing my numbers).

Overall, I think Sideways could go up to issue 24 and a second annual, because the introduction is clearly over and all the pieces are set for Derek to actually become a genuine hero.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think that's it. Especially if its a Crisis. The specific pointing out of a year later I found telling from the start, considering I think by the time Snyder's event gets rolling, current continuity will have made the Doomsday Clock jump. Which is a year later narratively.
    Last year there were rumors of yet another Crisis in the works but Jim Lee shot that down quickly. This might be because they either don't want things getting out or because they are still mulling the details. This might truly be the last we see of Nuperman if no one but Didio is interested in him. But I"m hoping that they are planning something big fairly soon.
    Assassinate Putin!

Actually, if I recall right what Lee specifically shot down was the idea that they were rebooting again. That was the original BC rumor, that the next Crisis story was going to reboot the verse again. Then Lee came out and said no, we're not rebooting. He never actually said there wasn't going to be another Crisis story, however.

Indeed, I think it would actually make all the sense in the world if BC's source got confused specifically because there was the scoop of plans of another Crisis. And the source just made the mistake of assuming that also meant a reboot.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-15-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Actually, if I recall right what Lee specifically shot down was the idea that they were rebooting again. That was the original BC rumor, that the next Crisis story was going to reboot the verse again. Then Lee came out and said no, we're not rebooting. He never actually said there wasn't going to be another Crisis story, however.

Indeed, I think it would actually make all the sense in the world if BC's source got confused specifically because there was the scoop of plans of another Crisis. And the source just made the mistake of assuming that also meant a reboot.
    Exactly. The Flash War epilogue all but confirmed that another Crisis was imminent, as has Scott Snyder (whereas Bendis has teased). The only thing we don't know is what kind of Crisis it'll be. Presumably, the big bad will be this mother of monsters that Snyder's been teasing in Justice League. Since it's tied to Metal and the Dark Multiverse, it makes perfect sense for Multiversal Superman to show up, although I don't think it's likely that he'll be playing a prominent role. It would be nice, but I think it's unlikely.

Yeah, and they said the New52 wasn't a reboot either.

We've known for more than two years that a reboot was coming. When Rebirth hit and we found out about the "missing ten years" the endgame was obviously getting that history back, right? Fixing the crumbling reality of the DCU? That means changing the history as it currently stands. Which is a reboot. I mean, that's basically the definition of the word.

I dont want to sound like one of those uber cranky hate-fans (which I fear I sound like far too often, unintentionally) but lets be honest; if DC is "fixing" history/continuity, they're rebooting. They just know that the "r" word scares fans off so they don't use it.

Now, maybe this reboot is going to be the big Snyder Event next year and maybe it's not, I dont know. But the plotline they've crafted about Manhattan and broken time? That's going to require a reboot to resolve.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well, I think this is a situation where terminology can cause crossed wires. Reboot does mean different things to different fans and these differences in opinion of how to define it I feel is valid. When I say reboot in this case, I'm talking about the full smash (or close to it) COIE/New 52 type deal. And that was clearly what the original BC article was hinting toward. Another full reset. That I'm pretty darn certain is not happening. What certainly is happening are changes that are in the vein of what I consider retooling, or fine-tuning. Doomsday Clock looks to be restoring the last major missing piecesof lost pre-FP continuity. Then there's Snyder's event dealing with a dying multiverse which will more than likely be an excuse to tinker more. Some people consider these things a reboot in of itself. With me, if things come out the other side still within the general framework of the current continuity, I avoid the word reboot. Not in any attempt to lessen what's going on, but really just because its the terminology I've always used and am used to.

Basically I think this is going to be another Zero Hour in concept. Crisis in name, but the building plot sounds more like ZH. Zero Hour saw the universe get erased, then was saved by the heroes, mostly intact but with some retooling (outside of instances of the Legion which got a total start over). Looking at what's going on now, its kinda similar. The multiverse is "dying". I have no doubt its going to be saved but in the process, obligatory differences. Still techinically the same continuity framework, though.

That said I also expect it to have the same level of success that Zero Hour did in alleviating the confusion and streamlining things on the main Earth though: not much. But its just another reason why the potential of a new Earth coming out of it too is such a major appeal to me. Braced to be disappointed, but still hopeful.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-15-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Keep in mind also there were a lot of specific claims about what would be in said Crisis. Namely that they were going to undo all the marriages, which was one of the main reasons people hated New 52. I can imagine why they would want to shoot that down. So a Crisis/reboot isn't outside the realm of possibility without that specific thing. When it comes to Superman, they have a history of outright lying about reboots. Birthright was originally sold as a "fill in the blanks" story. It was over a year before they came right out and admitted that, yes, it was a hard reboot. New 52 happened so quickly that I don't remember what the official story was there.
    Assassinate Putin!

Lee & Didio did indeed say that the New 52 wasn't a reboot, and, from a certain point of view, they were right as neither Batman nor Green Lantern were rebooted, and several other creators were under the impression that this was simply another continuity pruning and reshuffle similar to what was done following the Crisis on Infinite Earths (when neither Batman nor Green Lantern were rebooted). However, as sales came in, Didio changed his mind and retroactively decided that the New 52 was a much harder reboot than was initially intended. Of course, when sales started to drop even faster and the cluster&%$# that was Convergence confused everyone, that decision was reversed and we got Rebirth.

I think reboot can mean different things to different people. In terms of continuity, a reboot is a wiping of past history for a fresh start. DC has never done a full reboot. It's only done partial reboots of selected characters, and mostly to Superman and Wonder Woman. The New 52 was the closest DC has ever come to a full reboot because only Batman and Green Lantern and a handful of others emerged with their past history relatively intact. Infinite Crisis simply merged elements of Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis continuity back together, Zero Hour did relatively little aside from condense the timeline to 10 years rather than the 15 years they'd been using before. The original Crisis on Infinite Earths rebooted Superman and Wonder Woman, but the biggest changes were mostly to accommodate for not having parallel Earths anymore. Aside from that, the history was pretty much the same.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

I've done this, in regards to the T-Shirt and Jeans look in contrast to the costume with the trunks.

https://rednether.tumblr.com/post/18...an-idea-i-have
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Basically I think this is going to be another Zero Hour in concept. Crisis in name, but the building plot sounds more like ZH. Zero Hour saw the universe get erased, then was saved by the heroes, mostly intact but with some retooling (outside of instances of the Legion which got a total start over). Looking at what's going on now, its kinda similar. The multiverse is "dying". I have no doubt its going to be saved but in the process, obligatory differences. Still techinically the same continuity framework, though.
    You guys are right in that "reboot" does have different meanings for different people. But if continuity is altered, or started from scratch, I maintain it's still a reboot. Just different magnitudes. If you're just changing one aspect of a character's mythos, it's a retcon (like saying Clark raised Jon over the last ten years when we never experienced that). But a retcon is still, technically (in my mind) a reboot.....just a really small one. So to my way of thinking, when DC puts their continuity back together post-Manhattan, that's gonna be a reboot as well.....just probably not COIE in scale.

I agree that this is Zero Hour all over again.

Man, that was the first major Event I got to experience as an active reader.......and twenty-something years later, here we are again. The more things change......

~ Black Panther.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You guys are right in that "reboot" does have different meanings for different people. But if continuity is altered, or started from scratch, I maintain it's still a reboot. Just different magnitudes. If you're just changing one aspect of a character's mythos, it's a retcon (like saying Clark raised Jon over the last ten years when we never experienced that). But a retcon is still, technically (in my mind) a reboot.....just a really small one. So to my way of thinking, when DC puts their continuity back together post-Manhattan, that's gonna be a reboot as well.....just probably not COIE in scale.

I agree that this is Zero Hour all over again.

Man, that was the first major Event I got to experience as an active reader.......and twenty-something years later, here we are again. The more things change......
    In Superman's case though, he definitely got a second hard-reboot. after 1986's one.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Man, I can't count the number of reboots and smaller retcons Clark has had since 86.

Fortunately not as many as Wonder Woman (seriously DC, where's the respect?), but still far too many for my tastes.

~ Black Panther.