Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Maybe he joins the Seven Solders as a roaming multiversal Magnificent Seven? Z's likely not gonna stay given her JLD obligations, but you know how Morrison loves creating super teams in the hopes that someone might pick them up again. He did it with Cap Comet's team during his Action run, Seven Solders themselves, the Ultra-Marines being the heroes of the baby universe with no heroes, Justice Incarnate, and so on.

Plus, this Superman 100% fits the roaming cowboy motif. This is probably gonna be my guess till shown otherwise.

Edit: In fact, the idea of a hero (or heroes) coming to a small town to free it from oppression by teaching the people how to fight is literally the plot of Seven Samurai, and that's the movie that has quite a lot in common with Magnificent Seven. And funny enough there's 6 Dark Multiverse Superman characters being oppressed.

I'm changing my guess to the idea that roams the Dark Multiverse with his newly freed friends and counterparts righting wrongs and moving on like, again, cowboys or ronin samurai. Final guess. No take backs.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-05-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    Maybe, but unlikely.
    I wouldn't bank on that explanation either. Far more likely in my mind its the former idea: a multiversal incarnation of Superman like New 52 Superman. But either way both options I consider far more likely than a clone.

So yeah, if we're doing final guesses, my guess is he's a denizen of a world like the beginning of the New 52. This world either became unnaturally trapped in the Dark Multiverse. Or it was always in the Dark Multiverse far enough back when it was the World Forge, and it was a stable world that was meant to be upgraded into the Orrery but never was because the Forger was killed by Barbatos. The Forger wasn't there to do his job, just as Barbatos stopped doing his and why the unstable worlds remained and deteriorated. The particular world of this Superman though wasn't unstable and thus has never deteriorated.

My wish is that regardless what happens to him at the end of this story, he and his world will indeed be moved into the main multiverse. If not now, foreshadowed to be something that might happen in Snyder's larger event tale for 2019. There's at least precedence Sideways and his lore will matter. His very power is multiverse related and this upcoming event that Metal and now JL is leading into is entirely about the multiverse dying and needing to be saved.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-05-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Please, show me anything of New 52 referecned post-Reborn and then I'll believe it. The most we saw was Ulysse in one panel, and never appeared again. There is nothing of the New 52 Superman in the current one, in term of narrative. Haters of the New 52 may clamor all they want that this character can't exist anymore, because "merger", but DC has been willfully ignoring it and pushing everything it could to make any events of the New 52 impossible.
    While it's subdued and I do believe this is in some way 'really' the New 52 Superman, Truth and Final Days have both been referenced (in Nightwing and New Super-Man respectively), Morrison's take on Xa-Du recently appeared, the Super-Flare is still a power, Darkseid War still happened, and the Earths of President Superman and Superdoomsday are both out there.
    Buh-bye

I think the actual practice makes it far more apt to say this is far more the post-Crisis/pre-Flashpoint whatever-you-want-to-call-him Superman. Superman Reborn was narratively crafted as a merger, but in practice its been more of an absorbtion. There is the extremely rare holdover, most notably by far being that his parents are dead. And as you mentioned the occasional villain like Xa-Du. The other major change of course is the son, but that's not a New 52 thing. Thus, the scale being tipped so drastically in one direction over the other makes it hard to say that there is much of New 52 Superman is in there in meaningful form. To me this is the pre-FP Superman with his already mashed up history mashed up just a bit more for extra measure.

But either way that's all pretty irrelevant, as there's plenty of other ways to explain who this Superman is and why he's like the Year One New 52 Superman even if they do keep the narrative-but-not-practiced explanation of the merger in the main verse. It doesn't have to have anything at all to do with the main verse.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-05-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I consider him Convergence-Superman with a lot of pre-FP elements and some New52 ones mixed in. I mean, I don't recall pre-FP Supes living in incognito on a farm for 10 years of his superhero career.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Please, show me anything of New 52 referecned post-Reborn and then I'll believe it. The most we saw was Ulysse in one panel, and never appeared again. There is nothing of the New 52 Superman in the current one, in term of narrative. Haters of the New 52 may clamor all they want that this character can't exist anymore, because "merger", but DC has been willfully ignoring it and pushing everything it could to make any events of the New 52 impossible.
    The biggest carryover from the New 52 is that the Kents were still killed by a drunk driver, which was orchestrated by Vyndykdvx, so the single most important change by the New 52 reboot of Superman is still intact, as are this incarnation's biggest and most well-received storylines.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I think new 52 fans should be excited, I really don't think he will be killed off.
    From your lips to Dan Didio's ears!
    Assassinate Putin!

The car accident is different now, per Doomsday Clock #1, and implied to be Dr. Manhattan's doing, not Vyndktvx. And the details of the accident are a bit different. Far more likely that Vyn doesn't even exist in this timeline. Johns took the general idea but changed it up some. Furthermore there is still the chance he did that to reverse it, so there's still the chance the biggest N52 holdover idea could be on borrowed time as it is.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-05-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The car accident is different now, per Doomsday Clock #1, and implied to be Dr. Manhattan's doing, not Vyndktvx. And the details of the accident are a bit different. Far more likely that Vyn doesn't even exist in this timeline. Johns took the general idea but changed it up some. Furthermore there is still the chance he did that to reverse it, so there's still the chance the biggest N52 holdover idea could be on borrowed time as it is.
    I think it's too early to know exactly what's going on with Doomsday Clock, although I don't think Dr. Mahnattan's tinkering necessarily retcons out Vyndtktvx since Johns established that our big blue nudist was taking advantage of previous instabilities in the timestream.

However, if you want to look at comics you love as a glass half-empty, go ahead. Afterall, that's exactly what Superman would do

Definitely too early to say with absolute certainty but I was just looking at how the accidents were different. Still car accidents, but the Kents weren't run off into a tree before. Could just be creative license, though, I'll grant that. But even then I'm still not so sure how much Johns would want to reference another cosmic-level character into this story, so if the Kents' death does come up again before this story is over, its hard for me to imagine Vyn being referenced at all. And if unreferenced, with a general default being SO, I would tend to consider it out. But that's just one way of looking at things without concrete confirmation of course.

But if I am right it would be glass half full for me, as I don't even want Morrison's stuff attached to the main verse Superman anymore. I just don't think it fits to the point I would prefer it be attached to a separate incarnation now. So if the Vyn stuff is out, that's actually good news to me as the Morrison run could, potentially, be attributed to another version. Like this one.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-05-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Actually this would be glass half full for me, as I don't even want Morrison's stuff attached to the main verse Superman anymore. I would prefer it be attached to a separate incarnation now. So if the Vyn stuff is out, that's actually good news to me as the Morrison run could, potentially, be attributed to another version. Like this one.
    I think you can have both. Much like how the Kal-L of Earth-2 was a separate incarnation of Superman infused with some of the DNA of the earliest Seigel & Shuster stories and their original plan to have Lois & Clark hook up, I think this T-shirt & Jeans Superman will contain the strongest elements of the earliest New 52 Superman stories. However, both them continue to have a strong influence upon the mainline Superman from getting married to Lois Lane to Jonathan Kent's youth to the renewed political undercurrent of the current Superman comics.

All the best elements of those past versions of Superman still continue on in new ways, as they always have.

BANNED

Looks like Didio dodged a bullet...this could have been one of his last DC projects

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...ed-mark-doyle/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Looks like Didio dodged a bullet...this could have been one of his last DC projects

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...ed-mark-doyle/
    They were actually considering getting rid of the Black Label imprint? Seriously? Over that? First bit of criticism and they cave immediately. Thta's stupid!
    Assassinate Putin!

If this a sign of things to come it seems like the new President doesn't like the concept of Black Label as a whole. Its very design was a place for more mature themes. If she's against that in its entire concept, which she very might be if the silhouette of a nude man caused this kind of ruckus, then it very well could die before it even really gets started. Or if it does survive it could be a place where your most recognizable heroes, the Supermans, the Batmans, the Wonder Womans, etc, will be hands off when it comes to said more mature themes. I could see a situation where its mandated big time characters like that have to stay PG.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-06-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

How did you end up getting involved with that Sideways annual?

Morrison: Well, it was the same dinner with Dan Didio. It worked out pretty well. We came out with a couple of comics. Dan told me he was bringing back a couple of characters from my Seven Soldiers series, and also he wanted to kind of do a farewell to the New 52 Superman with the tee shirt and jeans, the kind of "blue collar Superman." So, I said, "Yeah, I'll help you out with dialogue." He wanted it to be as authentic as possible dialogue to the characters, so I said, "Yeah." I didn't explain it. I just went in and wrote some crazy dialogue.

I really enjoyed that “blue collar” take on Superman, particularly the tee shirt and jeans issues. But I feel like that personality you helped craft for him in those Action Comics issues, it never really fully seemed to carry through to the other Superman books. Did you ever have plans to develop that era of the character more beyond that initial big New 52 origin story that you did for him?

Morrison: No. I mean, I had the ideas obviously the more I thought about it. But it was a just at that time I was finding it quite difficult to do monthly comic books and everything else at the same time. So, to be honest, there wasn't any kind of "lost stories" that I didn't get to do. At least until Dan handed me this Sideways annual, and then I got to put some words back into the New 52 Superman's mouth. So that was fun. It was good to revisit the character.

Do you feel that you still have more to say with any version of Superman?

Morrison: No, honestly, it's been weird, and I think there are stories to be told, but I kind of told my good ones a little bit. And I might come up with something else, but … They asked me to take part in things like Action Comics #1000, and the Batman one [2019’s Detective Comics #1000], but I've said so much with these characters that it seemed really difficult to condense it into a short story. And I'm in such envy of the people who do that so well.

Source: https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...ollar-superman
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 11-06-2018 at 11:46 AM.