Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

(head explodes) Wonder if this is that Superman project Didio was supposedly working on? Is he going to bring New 52 back in some form?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    (head explodes) Wonder if this is that Superman project Didio was supposedly working on? Is he going to bring New 52 back in some form?
    My guess is this is just a alternate reality for this particular story, that'll maybe be sorta established as surviving and existing somewhere "out there," but it's not about to launch a whole Ultimate DC52 imprint or anything.

We know Sideways taps into the dark multiverse, but there's more to the cosmology than just a nightmare realm where worlds that can't survive are recycled by the World Forge. It's where realities that can't hold their shape sink, new ones rise....there's a lot of distance there, lot of places to pass through. Lots of places where this alt reality could settle into a stable orbit, so to speak.

And for all we know, Sideways can access the 52 or hypertime or who knows what. Maybe he can access the entire Orrery or Worlds. We don't know enough about his powers yet, but he's powerful enough a cosmic guardian decided to try and recruit him. So this just might be nothing more than a hypertime tangent that Sideways falls into.

I don't really care, honestly. I'm getting t-shirt Superman back, in a book I'm already reading and enjoying. Even if it's just for this one issue, I'm satisfied. Morrison's T-shirt Superman is the best.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Master Hero Vladimir

What does DC hope to gain by reintroducing a failed version of Superman? Seriously, what's so successful about New 52 Superman that should get viewers excited for his return?

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    What does DC hope to gain by reintroducing a failed version of Superman? Seriously, what's so successful about New 52 Superman that should get viewers excited for his return?
    A whole lot of us were saying the exact same thing about two years ago.

We ended up being wrong then. I wouldn't be too quick to throw shade at an annual now. Especially one with Morrison's name on it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    A whole lot of us were saying the exact same thing about two years ago.

We ended up being wrong then. I wouldn't be too quick to throw shade at an annual now. Especially one with Morrison's name on it.
    I only hope New 52 Superman is only featured in this story. If DC goes as far as to make him the new protagonist of the Superman stories, then it would invalidate the Superman we've been reading about for the last 2 years. Also, didn't New 52 Superman merge with the pre-Flashpoint Superman in Superman Reborn?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

There are no words.

Thank you Sideways! I knew that book wouldn't let me down!

I am so all over this.

And Sacred, I think you'd enjoy Sideways. That, Terrifics, and Unexpected are definitely up my alley, and your alley seems to run parallel to mine. Give them a shot if you have the extra time and money. Sideways introduces some very Morrison-ish concepts, Terrifics is nothing but big, high concept stuff (very FF like, obviously) and Unexpected is......it reminds me greatly of Morrison's Seven Soldiers, only these people actually know each other.
    That does indeed sound interesting. I'll keep them in mind for the future, and I'll be definitely picking this issue up for this version of Superman.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    I only hope New 52 Superman is only featured in this story. If DC goes as far as to make him the new protagonist of the Superman stories, then it would invalidate the Superman we've been reading about for the last 2 years. Also, didn't New 52 Superman merge with the pre-Flashpoint Superman in Superman Reborn?
    More than a merger, it was a thinly disguised erasure of the New 52 Superman. Almost none of his adventures can have happened the way they did, save perhaps H'el on Earth and Men of Tomorrow, and even then, I'm not sure. But his Action Comics debut, Doomed, Truth, all his Justice League history, all his SM/WW history, even his Last Days, has been erased, and beyond two panel nothing indicate that Ulysses even exist anymore.

The Superman on this cover at first glance looks like he's a bit older and has a broader more muscular build than the New52 Superman. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean anything- like every Superman, New52 Superman's look could differ somewhat from illustrator to illustrator, issue to issue and even panel to panel. There were some comics where he was depicted like that.

That the main character in Sideways can apparently travel from alternate reality to alternate reality, that makes literally anything possible. With an infinite number of worlds, virtually everything that could happen does happen somewhere. This could be a Superman from a universe with the New52 history up to the end of the first t-shirt era that deviates when Superman carries on with the same look instead of switching to the Kryptoniam body armor, a world where Truth Superman doesn't regain his powers fully but grows his hair back from the buzz cut and brings back the cape, a world where its just essentially a version of SuperDad who likes a simpler costume, or something else entirely. I remember a show about alternate worlds where people encountered a universe that appeared to be 10 years in their past but really it was a universe where the big bang happened 10 years later and thus everything seemed like the 80s instead of the 90s but was in fact technically not our past or even the past but the present day in a different world despite their calendar reading 1980 or whatever.

I haven't read any of the Metal or Sideways stuff, but I gather from earlier posts and other things I've seen that the Dark Multiverse is a lot of universes that have gone wrong in nightmarish ways. Maybe this is a universe where there is a costume supply shortage.

In any event, I'm mostly just trying to talk myself down from getting too excited, because I don't want to get my expectations so high that I am crushed when it turns out its just a one issue cameo from a Superman who's only relationship with the New52 Superman is a shared version of a costume.

However, seeing what appears to be the New52 Superman punching out a growing pile of bad guys on a cover is awesome. I liked the Kryptonian body armor better, but if this really is the New52 Superman in any form, I'll definitely get the issue on Comixology, and would love to subscribe to a monthly about him. Maybe he can travel the multiverse fighting for truth, justice, and the universal way. Maybe he's defending his own world, a close variant on the New52-verse, and they can follow that story- a beacon of hope in a world maybe suddenly ravaged by invaders from the dark multiverse and the effort to repel them, rebuild, and to fight new and old threats that fester as the world gets back to its former New52-esque greatness.

John Morrison's presence with this picture of Superman on the cover does give me the sense that it probably is at least an alternate world Superman who's a lot like who we hope he is- the New52 Superman- even if he's technically his own man in a very different universe or whatever. Probably just a one or two issue cameo, but I can always hope for more, right?

I really miss this character a lot.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 06-30-2018 at 12:18 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    remember a show about alternate worlds where people encountered a universe that appeared to be 10 years in their past but really it was a universe where the big bang happened 10 years later and thus everything seemed like the 80s instead of the 90s but was in fact technically not our past or even the past but the present day in a different world despite their calendar reading 1980 or whatever

Yay, you watched Sliders. (seriously, why has nobody brought that back yet?)

Fantastic Member

I love sliders by the way I think the whole series is on Hulu

It's nice to see Superbro once again.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

There's no release date on this, right?

Morrison on Superman is always a treat. Hope his Green Lantern run gets unveiled soon.

This could be Old 53 Superman, for all I care. I am just curious to see Grant Morrison write his Superman again. And I'm not even the biggest Morrison Supes fan out there, I just like the buzz it creates for Superman, particularly from a guy who's pretty thoughtful of the character and genuinely enjoys writing for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Yay, you watched Sliders. (seriously, why has nobody brought that back yet?)
    One of my favorite shows of all-time! Especially the first two seasons. I'm not sure why no one has brought it back yet. It seems like a perfect candidate to revive- either a season six contiuation, or a complete remake/reboot that starts with a recast Quinn in his early 20s discovering sliding in his basement for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovos2099 View Post
    I love sliders by the way I think the whole series is on Hulu
    Only the first three seasons are on Hulu. Seasons 4 and 5 are missing. Still very much worth watching/rewatching, though.

Incredible Member

Only I'm confused by people's comments? Superman is superman, I do not see any difference of the two.