Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    I also wonder if this is all connected to news that DiDio might write a Superman book and the impending CRISIS. Looks like Dan and Jim are doing their damndest to undo what Geoff achieved with Rebirth. I wonder if DC can survive another massive sales failure before Dan is gone for good? Rebirth really shouldn't have worked as well as it did and it seems with Doomsday Clock's delays and Geoff's departure, Rebirth's endgame will be ignored completely and DiDio will restore the New 52 continuity. Bendis is systematically dismantling the marriage and Jon and it won't be long before it's all completely undone.

The good news it that there's still great Superman stories being told by Jimmy Palmiotti and Tom Derenick. Maybe they'll become regulars in the 100 Page Giant for as long as those last.
    No offense, but I think that is dramatic overthinking of what's happening. Despite what Geoff done with Rebirth, it's not like we know what the endgame is and what is or isn't being restored. Not to mention while a lot of Post Crisis and Pre-Flashpoints elements were added in, it's not like New 52 continutity was shuffled to the side. For all intents and purposes it is the post-New 52 universe just with more Pre-Flashpoint elements being integrated in. Bendis seems interested in Jon and the relationship, so it's not like he is removing them, just focusing on a different chapter of them. New 52 Superman as a whole wasn't a bad concept, but it just needed to be intergrated in the Reborn stories better.

I would actually argue that for all intents and purposes this is the pre-Flashpoint world, with only a little bit of New 52 peppered in, but all the same I do agree that those particular concerns are exaggerated and won't come to fruition. At least not on Earth-0.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

The whole idea that Superman needed to outgrow his Golden Age mindset never sat right with me. For all the talk about not being ashamed of Superman much of the fanbase seems ashamed of him by nature.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    The whole idea that Superman needed to outgrow his Golden Age mindset never sat right with me. For all the talk about not being ashamed of Superman much of the fanbase seems ashamed of him by nature.
    Nah, just the red trunks.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

At the very least, he should have his Golden Age mindset when he's younger and maybe simmer down a bit as he gets wiser with age. But never lose the basic mission: stand up for the little guy and stand up to corrupt individuals in power. It should be the very core of the character. I don't see why we cannot even have it as part of his past.

Because people will politicize it. DC doesn't want any aspect of Superman to be controversial.

Except for the stupid shock value gimmicks where they intentionally piss us off with weird, short term stunts that only derail the larger narrative.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Because people will politicize it. DC doesn't want any aspect of Superman to be controversial.

Except for the stupid shock value gimmicks where they intentionally piss us off with weird, short term stunts that only derail the larger narrative.
    They were willing to piss off people with their Superman social media posts on World Refugee Day.

This could actually fit into my idea that Earth-0 is actually the original Earth-Two, changed after the Crisis, and the original Earth-One has been since lost. In all the chaos of the original Crisis (the changed Crisis thanks to Convergence), Earth-One was, after undergoing a transformation of its own, unknowingly swallowed by the Dark Multiverse. There its stayed all this time, and Sideways will be the first guy to find it. But soon, with all the other damage done to the multiverse in the wake of Metal and the goings on of Snyder's JL, will need to be returned to where it belongs for not only its sake but for the sake of the stability of the whole multiverse.

So I dream.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-06-2018 at 03:52 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

He didn't have just one mindset throughout the entire golden age. A few years into it and he was already essentially the Superman we recognize today. I do think he should fight social injustice but it doesn't have to involve him letting criminals die needlessly(and that happens quite a bit in the early golden age). And there were times when the stories could get pretty silly, like Superman taking on a racket that involves forcing store owners to have slot machines in their stores which kids play and lose money on. That is an awfully specific social injustice.

Apparently, it's confirmed that this Superman is from the Dark Multiverse, but still heroic, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Apparently, it's confirmed that this Superman is from the Dark Multiverse, but still heroic, I guess.
    Not at all surprising. Did any of us truly expect anything else?

And not everything in the dark multiverse is twisted and evil. It's just the place where worlds go before they're recycled by the World Forge. It's not just nightmares and evil Batmen, it's any world that couldn't find a foothold in the Orrery of Worlds, for whatever reason.

~ Black Panther.

Yup. But apparently, DiDio didn't refuted nor confirmed the fact that this guys was New 52 Superman... That's intriguing, to say the least.

Yeah, it sounded to me like the t-shirt and jeans Superman has some mystery about him. He's probably IN the Dark Multiverse, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised for a reveal that he's not FROM the Dark Multiverse. Especially with Didio dodging the question over whether he's the New 52 version. So there's being set up some purposeful air of mystery about his origins. Which is exciting, especially that this is happening in a time that I consider to be the official beginnings of the lead up to Snyder's huge crossover (Crisis 4). Keeps my hope of the return of the companion Earth to Earth-0 alive.

I'm just happy that Morrison is writing him again. I highly doubt he'll be evil given it's his creator who's writing him.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

If I remember correctly, Morrison is supposed to co-write the second arc anyways. I wonder if that's still happening or if plans changed because of him being busy.