Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Far as I know Secret Origin doesn’t focus on Clark’s college years at all. Just put T-shirt and jeans Supes adventures there. Maybe he wore the Golden Age S-shield during that time to signify he wasn’t a “full-fledged” Supes yet.

I'll be glad they kept it separate if they intend to actually utilize a secondary Superman in another world. In that case I'd get the superior origin more or less as it was intended without having to be melded around something else. If that's never in the cards though, I'd grudgingly take the melding to the classic version, but as of now it wouldn't fit, it would require more tinkering and fans don't really want more tinkering. To me doing it in his college years wouldn't work because that would require A: he's doing it in secret, or B, he's publicly out, but that would mean said outing wouldn't have happened in Metropolis. Both situations lose a lot in the process of making it fit in that way, imo.

That said, I don't think they have any desire of utilizing Morrison's stuff with the main verse Superman. My gut feeling is if they don't at some point decide to write stories about a different Superman based around that origin, we won't see it again.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-10-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Meh. Batman has both Year One and Zero Year canon as his origins. He met Catwoman in Year One and Golden Age style. I really don’t think anyone outside the hardcore care about “tinkering” to make it all fit. It’s a hopeless task anyway, I prefer the Marvel method of just ignoring the holes. If you don’t call attention to them no one cares.

Also I want Nimrod and Drekken back in Supes rogues gallery, they’re too cool to toss to the wayside. We get some villains who can hurt Supes without Kryptonite but of course DC ignores them yet keeps Johns boring ass Ulysses around.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

In my head canon, Morrison's Action is still Clark's early years. With the New 52 costume swapped out for the iconic one. There is no reason why it can't be, it's the best modernized origin he's ever had.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I see Morrison's T-shirt & jeans Superman as more of an urban legend that spreads quickly around Metropolis for a few months. People like Glenmorgan, the police, Lois and Jimmy have definitely heard stories and rumors about him, but it isn't until he puts on the classic costume to save Lois from the helicopter crash on a sunny day in clear view of hundreds of onlookers that the rumors become a reality. Prior to that, Superman was focused on helping the little guy and was operating mostly at night battling corrupt cops, politicians, businessmen, gangsters, wife beaters and the alt-right.

Everything Clark'd done up to that point was mostly directed at the rich and powerful, who would no doubt have a vested interest in keeping quiet knowledge of this righteous SJW busting up and into the governor's mansion, exclusive penthousesa & clubs, illegal sweatshops and more. He was a boogeyman that no one believed was real because no had seen a metahuman for several decades since the JSA disappeared.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 09-10-2018 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    So you want a guy in his twenties to act exactly like a thirty year old? Why would he do that? We act how we act because of LIFE experience. Clark wouldn't HAVE the life experience to act like a more season Superman because he's NOT SEASONED YET. The Dude was 22 when he started and still coming to terms with the Death of his Parents. That Matters. Five years later he's more seasoned and he started a relationship with Wonder Woman. He's less Brass and more thoughtful. Classic Superman was thirty two meaning New 52 Superman still had Five years to get to that point. Who knows what would have happened in that span of time. Five years is a Long time. They had the time, The Problem is is that they wanted to Rush things to get to cram peoples favorite characters in right away instead of letting the timeline catch back up to where it was before Flashpoint. That's Poor planning 101. Only the Titan characters should have been around after the Fives years later time skip Not Superboy, Red Robin or Cassie and Especially not Damien. After the Next Time skip then the Young Justice Crew should have been around and you'd hear about Superman Dying and his Marriage to Lois (Or Not ) I swear People want things Now Now Now too much.
    No I want Superman to act like the character I actually like. A younger Post Crisis Superman didn't act as brash or hot headed as New 52 Superman, that was an intentional writer and executive decision to make Superman a rougher, edgier character than he was before. You're right that the rush was a flaw in New 52 Superman, that rush ended up dooming the character because no one knows what made him the character he is. DC skipped a bunch of history and character development that made other canon versions of Superman much more endeared by the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    No I want Superman to act like the character I actually like. A younger Post Crisis Superman didn't act as brash or hot headed as New 52 Superman, that was an intentional writer and executive decision to make Superman a rougher, edgier character than he was before. You're right that the rush was a flaw in New 52 Superman, that rush ended up dooming the character because no one knows what made him the character he is. DC skipped a bunch of history and character development that made other canon versions of Superman much more endeared by the fans.
    He was the way he was because the Kents died on his prom night. And he wasn’t that much more extreme than Byrne’s Post-Crisis Superman who definitely had a cocky attitude towards him at first.
    93E046F2-1EE5-41B3-96D1-DA8D93CD4E0B.jpg

New 52' Superman's "Extreme-ness" has always been overstated from the word go. The only writer to ever do anything questionable under the mandate of a more "rough around the edges" Superman (which in of itself is completely in bounds, imo; it had appeal then and I think still has appeal today), was Lobdell. And even then it was only two instances where he went out of bounds with things that were not good looks (berating Kara for nearly outing his identity when she had not the first clue about it; and even letting Superman wonder in his own head if he let Parasite mooch off Lois just a little bit to erase her memory). Even Johns work in the initial JL issues is understandable on the basis that everyone is still fairly new at all this, not to mention that at the time, these other heroes he had never met showed up on an evening in which Superman was defending Metropolis from the beginning of the invasion, and accusing him of being in league with what he was trying to protect his home from. So he's defending himself, and his city at the same time in a case of a huge misunderstanding.

In the end, no one did it AS good as Morrison and Pak. But no one made an overall mockery of the idea either, again outside of two really bad examples by one guy.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-11-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

That is precisely why Byrne's Superman is so boring, and among the reasons why his take is fundamentally flawed and counter to who the character is. The other, bigger problem is of course the "I don't care about my dead birth parents or their culture, I'M AN AMERICAN!!, so the New 52 is superior for that alone.

Superman's very creators made him rough and edgy when he first started out and evolved him past that. Morrison's Superman very deliberately wanted to start him out that way to pay homage to the Golden Age stories before having him become wiser and more restrained as his powers grew to Silver Age levels. It's a character arc, and Superman is vastly more interesting if he has such a character arc in his history. I'd find Rebirth Superman way more interesting if he was like New 52 Action Superman in his younger years. Because he was younger and would naturally be very different from a version of himself that is a decade and a half older and is married with a kid. There is again no reason why we cannot have it as his Year One, the only reason we have something like Secret Origin is because Johns is in charge, and Johns can be great but he ain't even close to Morrison when it comes to Superman.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    In the end, no one did it AS good as Morrison and Pak. But no one made an overall mockery of the idea either, again outside of two really bad examples by one guy.
    I would agree. The only thing that prevented the New 52 Superman from thriving was editorial mismanagement, which led to a lack of solid writers to guide this new incarnation of the character. Had DC completely fumbled John Byrne's reboot in a similar fashion, the Post-Crisis era would have crashed and burned just as quickly.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That is precisely why Byrne's Superman is so boring, and among the reasons why his take is fundamentally flawed and counter to who the character is. The other, bigger problem is of course the "I don't care about my dead birth parents or their culture, I'M AN AMERICAN!!, so the New 52 is superior for that alone.

Superman's very creators made him rough and edgy when he first started out and evolved him past that. Morrison's Superman very deliberately wanted to start him out that way to pay homage to the Golden Age stories before having him become wiser and more restrained as his powers grew to Silver Age levels. It's a character arc, and Superman is vastly more interesting if he has such a character arc in his history. I'd find Rebirth Superman way more interesting if he was like New 52 Action Superman in his younger years. Because he was younger and would naturally be very different from a version of himself that is a decade and a half older and is married with a kid. There is again no reason why we cannot have it as his Year One, the only reason we have something like Secret Origin is because Johns is in charge, and Johns can be great but he ain't even close to Morrison when it comes to Superman.
    That's meta, but even if Siegel and Shuster intended to shift the character's narrative, it's not like they indicated that there was just that way to do the character. Byrne honored the tv series just as Morrison honored their work, and at least Siegel could dig it if not both men.

I dunno why it's always either/or for the character. But I think it makes the case for separation, as others have said. Let this Superman and the weird silver age mutations have their own corner of the DCU instead of jamming this stuff into that stuff. I mean there are much worse elements you could jam into the character history, but it's kind of just lip service unless your bring over the whole New 52 beginning story anyway.

And two different Supes in today's issue of Sideways, and two Lois. But the plot twist is...

spoilers:
    Morrison's Supes isn't from the Dark Multiverse.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I was just done with work when this news came into my feed. What the frick is even with this continuity?!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Seems like Didio wants to reinstate the direction of the New 52 really bad if he's removing Nightwing, killing Wally and now New 52 Superman is back. They're going to force another reboot if they keep this sort of thing up.

BANNED

Hey, at least they're bringing back N52 Supes from a period mostly everyone likes