Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What can Galactus do that Odin can't?

I'm trying to get a better handle on what differentiates these two (the classic comic 616 versions) in terms of power.

I get that Classic Odin is the gold standard of the Skyfather brand. And I get that Galactus is the kinda the same for the cosmic being brand.

Classic Odin has some crazy feats that put him above every single superhero in both Marvel and DC (unless we're calling the Spectre a superhero, which I'm not). Is Galactus just more of the same, or does he have powers and abilities that even Odin can't compete with (And what are they)?

Or, if it's easier to illustrate this way:

1. The Arena, standard gear and rumble settings

2. The Contest, where each takes turns performing the same feats to the tune of "anything you can do, I can do better"

Bottom line: why is Classic Galactus generally considered mightier than Classic Odin?

I think it's more scope/scale than power set. Galactus can do everything that Odin can but at a higher level.

Ok, here's a power that no superhero has:

Can both or either legit resurrect the dead?

As in, find the soul in the afterlife and reunite/ recreate the body?

Or, failing that, do time shenanigans to rescue them right before their death and bring them to the present?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Ok, here's a power that no superhero has:

Can both or either legit resurrect the dead?

As in, find the soul in the afterlife and reunite/ recreate the body?

Or, failing that, do time shenanigans to rescue them right before their death and bring them to the present?

I believe that they can, but they ofttimes forget or are restricted from doing so because of the plot. IIRC, Odin once stopped Mangog by resurrecting the entire race that he was composed of.

Oh, Galactus can ultra-purify a soul, to the point where it doesn't accumulate any further impurities even after being his Herald for eons, as he did for the Surfer. I don't think that Odin can do that.

I don't think that Odin can do the equivalent of Devouring, either, that is to say, destroying an object or place by just deciding to absorb its essence into himself.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 06-30-2018 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I don't think that Odin can do the equivalent of Devouring, either, that is to say, destroying an object or place by just deciding to absorb its essence into himself.
    You haven't seen him at a feast then.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Odin once just straight up marched into Hel and said "yeah i know thors dead.... but screw that" and pulled him out alive lol.

I think Odin purifying Mangog was less him resurrecting the species, and more him just freeing the souls/essence and granting them peace. It ultimately didn't stop Mangog either.

Galactus does not necessarily show off a lot of "new" powers over Odin. Just better. Like how Gladiator essentially has Superman's powers just... better.

Odin can shred up a galaxy with brute strength and raw damage output. Like maybe not flat out blow it up in one shot, but at least carve out big noticeable chunks of one, or lay waste to big enough portions that the whole galaxy trembles in some way. Galactus meanwhile flat out destroys /multiple/ galaxies as side scatter of his fight with Tyrant. Or even better imo can teleport an entire galaxy across the cosmos.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a "new" power Galactus had that Odin didn't. It may even be the opposite. He might have less. Odin has a longer wackier career after all. But Galactus is just on a different tier of raw output. Like a 12v power wheels vs an actual semi truck.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Default What can Galactus do that Odin can't?

Also I think Galactus can do that thing where you role your tongue, and Odin totally can't.
    Last edited by Güicho; 06-30-2018 at 03:05 PM. Reason: What can Galactus do that Odin can't?

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    I think it's more scope/scale than power set. Galactus can do everything that Odin can but at a higher level.
    Exactly. There are any number of characters that can do anything if you mean demonstrate any power. Or they've demonstrated enough powers that we spot them pretty much any power. In that respect, everybody from Galactus to Samantha Stevens is in the category of "They can do anything". But it's the scale and sheer level of power that they can do it on that makes the difference.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Also I think Galactus can do that thing where you role your tongue, and Odin totally can't.
    But Odin can grow a beard while Galactus can't since Galactus has zero feats of beard growing.
    Power with Girl is better.

How does Odin fare against Celestials compared to Galactus?

And what about Mephisto? Has Classic Odin ever fought Mephisto?

I know Galactus has at least once, and it was a draw after Mephisto grew to match Big G's size. The fight ended when Mephisto realized this was pointless, because his true enemies were righteous and pure, and Galactus was neither. So Mephisto lost interest and just told Galactus to leave his realm (and take the hostage Silver Surfer with you). Or something like that.

That fight implies to me that Mephisto and Galactus are relatively equals. So is Mephisto thus mightier than Odin?

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

I know Galactus has at least once, and it was a draw after Mephisto grew to match Big G's size. The fight ended when Mephisto realized this was pointless, because his true enemies were righteous and pure, and Galactus was neither. So Mephisto lost interest and just told Galactus to leave his realm (and take the hostage Silver Surfer with you). Or something like that.

That fight implies to me that Mephisto and Galactus are relatively equals. So is Mephisto thus mightier than Odin?
    Doesn't Mephisto get a big boost from being in his realm?
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    But Odin can grow a beard while Galactus can't since Galactus has zero feats of beard growing.
    wouldn't a species where everyone had beards perceive Galactus as having a beard? Or did that thing where every species sees something different when looking at him get retconned?

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Yeah, his realm is part of him so he has more control over the universal laws inside of it
    Last edited by Hiromi; 06-30-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    IIRC, didn't that fight end when Galactus basically went,"Screw this, Imma eat your dimension," and Mephisto responded by going, "Dammit, that's where I keep all my stuff; fine, whatever, just take your herald and go."
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 07-01-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Here we go:

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Badly. Galactus can fight multiple Celestials and gold his own. Odin, even with the Destroyer Armour, gets washed completely by them.

As I recall, this fight was from a very brief period where Mephisto was written as way stronger than had ever been before and he's never really come that close since.

Also, on another occasion when he tried to kidnap the Surfer, Norrin's soul was so pure Mephisto couldn't even touch him.