View Poll Results: The Invisible Plane: Yay or Nay?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay-Yes, I feel that its an iconic piece of WW lore

27 57.45%
  • Nay-No, its pointless and silly

20 42.55%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

All this I-Jet talk really makes me want to see a race/test of piloting skill between Diana in her I-Jet, Batman in the Batwing, Carol Ferris in a new experimental plane, and Hal Jordan in a state-of-the-art fighter jet.

The Blackhawks can be the judges.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Why does Batman need a Batmobile when he can run from rooftop to rooftop or swing around the city on decel cables?

It's a creative piece of her arsenal of Wonder concepts that writers can find a creative use for. (Just like they do with Batman and all his toys.)
    Whatever you say.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Boisterously Confused

All this I-Jet talk really makes me want to see a race/test of piloting skill between Diana in her I-Jet, Batman in the Batwing, Carol Ferris in a new experimental plane, and Hal Jordan in a state-of-the-art fighter jet.

The Blackhawks can be the judges.
    That would make an awesome backup story for a WW, Batman, or GL annual! (of course, WW's going to leave the rest of those losers choking on her jetwash )

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    If you want the Invisible Jet to stick you need to have a reason that makes sense for it to even stay there in light of Wonder Woman being able to fly.
    I'll offer three:
    1. A writer could say that it flies faster than she can and lets Diana conserve her strength for action when she gets where it's taking her
    2. If you make it an AI, it becomes a sidekick handy for exposition and other story uses
    3. It makes for a dandy toy to sell to children and collectors
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-02-2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: i can't count.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That would make an awesome backup story for a WW, Batman, or GL annual! (of course, WW's going to leave the rest of those losers choking on her jetwash )
    Haha...and thanks!

Yeah, I like thinking about all the little connections between the heroes that aren't always the most obvious - like these four being pilots in there own right.

I always thought it'd be fun for a situation like a part of the Justice League escaping from Apokolips and racing to their Javelin transport (or whatever) and all of them getting there and Aquaman, Vixen, Blue Jay, Firestorm, and Fire all looking at each other and saying, "but I don't know how to fly a spaceship?" LOL

What's you Plan B people?

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'll offer four:
    1. A writer could say that it flies faster than she can and lets Diana conserve her strength for action when she gets where it's taking her
    2. If you make it an AI, it becomes a sidekick handy for exposition and other story uses
    3. It makes for a dandy toy to sell to children and collectors
    1. That will never work when it's never really been a problem
    2. Has potential.
    3. Most likely reason for it to exist.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    If you want the Invisible Jet to stick you need to have a reason that makes sense for it to even stay there in light of Wonder Woman being able to fly.
    I don't buy the second part of your argument. Just because she flies, doesn't mean she doesn't want a place to put her stuff. And Diana has lots of stuff--and yet never seems to settle down in one place for too long, so she needs her own U-Haul.

But I think--without the writers providing the answers--you and I can think of lots of uses she would have for the Robot Plane/Invisible Jet. And I'm not a reader who needs or wants the writers to give all the answers. Part of the fun of reading comics is making up your own fan theories.

So here are some:

• She needs a place to stow all her stuff. Diana has several costumes, hundreds of civilian clothes, some swords, some armour and shields, probably a mental radio, boots and sandals, a few different tiaras, a family photo album, thousands of mementos from her fans.
    • Mr. Genie and Jumpa the Kanga live in the vehicle--which exists in extra-dimensional space, so they have lots of room to move around.
    • She likes to be in charge. Sure, on dates with Steve, he could fly her around in his plane--but Diana wants to be in control and fly him around in her plane.
    • The plane is able to break through the dimensional barrier between our world and Themyscira. Diana cannot do this by flying on her own--plus it allows her to transport Steve, Jumpa, Mr. Genie and all her stuff from the world of the Amazons into the world of man.
    • Diana can't become invisible on her own. In the airplane she can--which is good for spy missions. She can also put other people on the plane and make them disappear--either to protect them (friends) or to keep them imprisoned (foes).
    • Like Batman, Diana is something of a detective and she uses the Wonder Plane as her own crime lab to do analysis and consult interpol files, when she's on a case.
    • As a personal favour to her fans, Diana adopted the plane to generate more collectibles. As some fans are dirt poor, they can literally play with an Invisible Plane piloted by Wonder Woman, by pretending that it exists.
    • It can travel through outer space and warp across the galaxy.
    • She likes her privacy when she's flying. Too many paparazzi take telephoto shots of Wonder Woman flying and sell them to TMZ.

I just want to add the reason: because it's cool.

Ww-InvisibleJet1.jpg

I liked Gail's nod to the Invisible plane, when IIRC Bruce/Wayne Enterprises developed a new hi-tech invisible jet for Wonder Woman. I think it may have been mainly used by 'Agent Prince' and ARGUS.

I just want to add the reason: because it's cool.

Ww-InvisibleJet1.jpg
    Ironically, the Invisible Plane makes an impressive visual. I will always stand by that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    This was actually a thing briefly during Post Crisis where they made the invisible jet a sentient invisible shapeshifting thing that had the default form of an invisible fortress of solitude floating in the sky https://comicvine.gamespot.com/wonderdome/4005-10913/
    IIRC, that was Byrne and that alien race he introduced that appeared during his WW run. That wasn't a bad idea,and it was a nice nod/update to WW lore.

Why does Batman need a Batmobile when he can run from rooftop to rooftop or swing around the city on decel cables?

It's a creative piece of her arsenal of Wonder concepts that writers can find a creative use for. (Just like they do with Batman and all his toys.)
    Great point! Bottom line the Invisible Plane is iconic, just like her lasso, Batman's Batmobile, Batcave and Batarang and Superman's Fortress of Solitude.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I would say that if we are talking about the movies, the plane would make no sense. It's akin to my reaction to it in the television show. There's an island of amazons living at a Bronze age level but they have this one anachronistic piece of super advanced technology for no reason that is ever explained.

In the comics where the island is scientifically advanced, it's a different story.
    It's not going to happen (at least it looks extremely unlikely), but they could have introduced the invisible jet in the DCEU.

After Steve Trevor crashed and the Germans invaded Themyscira during WW1, Hippolyta and the Amazons realised that they needed to up their game to deal with the modern day threats presented by the world of man. So, they recovered Steve Trevor's plane from the depths of the ocean, reverse engineered it and built their own, vastly improved version of the plan as the "invisible jet" using a combination of technology and Amazonian magical / mystical / godly knowledge or artefacts.

They could have done the same with other technologies, for example, creating bulletproof armour that provided decent coverage, developing projectile firing weaponry based on guns, etc.

Of course, based on the "present day" scenes in Justice League, the Amazons didn't do any of that. Instead they just decided that their bikinis and bows and arrows were sufficient to deal with any major threats, whether from the world of man or Apokolips. But, I'd be happy for Patty Jenkins to ignore Justice League and establish her own, technologically advanced version of the Amazons in 1984 who would have had 70 odd years to get up to speed with modern technology, with their own Amazonian twist.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    It's not going to happen (at least it looks extremely unlikely), but they could have introduced the invisible jet in the DCEU.

After Steve Trevor crashed and the Germans invaded Themyscira during WW1, Hippolyta and the Amazons realised that they needed to up their game to deal with the modern day threats presented by the world of man. So, they recovered Steve Trevor's plane from the depths of the ocean, reverse engineered it and built their own, vastly improved version of the plan as the "invisible jet" using a combination of technology and Amazonian magical / mystical / godly knowledge or artefacts.

They could have done the same with other technologies, for example, creating bulletproof armour that provided decent coverage, developing projectile firing weaponry based on guns, etc.

Of course, based on the "present day" scenes in Justice League, the Amazons didn't do any of that. Instead they just decided that their bikinis and bows and arrows were sufficient to deal with any major threats, whether from the world of man or Apokolips. But, I'd be happy for Patty Jenkins to ignore Justice League and establish her own, technologically advanced version of the Amazons in 1984 who would have had 70 odd years to get up to speed with modern technology, with their own Amazonian twist.
    Yeah. This is why I think Perez (whose work I love) did us no favors back in 1986.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

To add onto that, why does Batman needs the Batmobile when he has the Batcopter, Batjet, Batwing, and the Batrocket?

Just let Diana fly and use the jet from time to time so we can all be happy.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.