View Poll Results: The Invisible Plane: Yay or Nay?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay-Yes, I feel that its an iconic piece of WW lore

27 57.45%
  • Nay-No, its pointless and silly

20 42.55%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    To add onto that, why does Batman needs the Batmobile when he has the Batcopter, Batjet, Batwing, and the Batrocket?
    And really, wouldn't getting around Gotham City quickly and "quietly" be much easier in the Batplane than the Batmobile? That way he doesn't need to worry about traffic, running over pedestrians who are too busy looking at their phones to notice the Batmobile screaming towards them, etc.

Plus, he's dressed up like a giant bat - bats fly, so Batman should fly!

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Finally a place to incorporate IRAC from the 1970s television series! It's the AI for the I-Jet. Lol!
    That would be a terrific callback!

To that I say Nay.

Spectacular Member

I like the jet. I know that it's not a popular opinion, but if I had to choose between flight or having the jet, I'd ditch the flight.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't buy the second part of your argument. Just because she flies, doesn't mean she doesn't want a place to put her stuff. And Diana has lots of stuff--and yet never seems to settle down in one place for too long, so she needs her own U-Haul.

But I think--without the writers providing the answers--you and I can think of lots of uses she would have for the Robot Plane/Invisible Jet. And I'm not a reader who needs or wants the writers to give all the answers. Part of the fun of reading comics is making up your own fan theories.

So here are some:

• She needs a place to stow all her stuff. Diana has several costumes, hundreds of civilian clothes, some swords, some armour and shields, probably a mental radio, boots and sandals, a few different tiaras, a family photo album, thousands of mementos from her fans.
    • Mr. Genie and Jumpa the Kanga live in the vehicle--which exists in extra-dimensional space, so they have lots of room to move around.
    • She likes to be in charge. Sure, on dates with Steve, he could fly her around in his plane--but Diana wants to be in control and fly him around in her plane.
    • The plane is able to break through the dimensional barrier between our world and Themyscira. Diana cannot do this by flying on her own--plus it allows her to transport Steve, Jumpa, Mr. Genie and all her stuff from the world of the Amazons into the world of man.
    • Diana can't become invisible on her own. In the airplane she can--which is good for spy missions. She can also put other people on the plane and make them disappear--either to protect them (friends) or to keep them imprisoned (foes).
    • Like Batman, Diana is something of a detective and she uses the Wonder Plane as her own crime lab to do analysis and consult interpol files, when she's on a case.
    • As a personal favour to her fans, Diana adopted the plane to generate more collectibles. As some fans are dirt poor, they can literally play with an Invisible Plane piloted by Wonder Woman, by pretending that it exists.
    • It can travel through outer space and warp across the galaxy.
    • She likes her privacy when she's flying. Too many paparazzi take telephoto shots of Wonder Woman flying and sell them to TMZ.
    Sure unless you're like YouTuber J's Reviews who doesn't like head canons and in some ways I don't either. And if you rely on head canon's it means the writer is not doing a good job of making sure the story works. Also using stealth while flying has not been much of a problem for Wonder Woman. When was the last tiem anyone cared to show the troubles of Wonder Woman having no secret identity? However I see little wrong witht he rest though the poor thing is rather dark.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Why does Batman need a Batmobile when he can run from rooftop to rooftop or swing around the city on decel cables?

It's a creative piece of her arsenal of Wonder concepts that writers can find a creative use for. (Just like they do with Batman and all his toys.)
    Bruce doesn't do that as often these days actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah while in Deathstroke he took a cab since the writer always felt it was stupid for Batman to drive a Batmobile in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Yeah while in Deathstroke he took a cab since the writer always felt it was stupid for Batman to drive a Batmobile in the first place.
    Because somehow taking the taxi when chasing criminals and rushing to beat the clock to foil a maniacal madman's plot, all while masked and trying to be intimidating, is such a smarter thing. When writing a superhero, just embrace the superhero tropes and craziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Because somehow taking the taxi when chasing criminals and rushing to beat the clock to foil a maniacal madman's plot, all while masked and trying to be intimidating, is such a smarter thing. When writing a superhero, just embrace the superhero tropes and craziness.
    At least Alfred was driving the cab. And it was a stealth mission as Bruce Wayne.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowedeyes View Post
    I like the jet. I know that it's not a popular opinion, but if I had to choose between flight or having the jet, I'd ditch the flight.
    ^This^! Very much This!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    But that’s not how that situation went down at all.

As for the plane, yay for it back in the day, nay to it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I was just making the point that the I-Jet can fit into continuity should a writer want to use it and it should not be dependent on Diana's ability to fly.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 07-03-2018 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Sure unless you're like YouTuber J's Reviews who doesn't like head canons and in some ways I don't either. And if you rely on head canon's it means the writer is not doing a good job of making sure the story works. Also using stealth while flying has not been much of a problem for Wonder Woman. When was the last tiem anyone cared to show the troubles of Wonder Woman having no secret identity? However I see little wrong witht he rest though the poor thing is rather dark.
    I think developing fan theories or arguments for including concepts or ideas into canon for fun is different than living off headcanon, but I'm not familiar with arguments the YouTube reviewer you mention makes.

The jet could be a great stealth tool someday for a rescue story in the pages of Woman Woman.

I also like the symbol of the jet as a technological wonder created by the Amazons, if we someday get the tech-advanced Amazons back. Patriarch's World should marvel at what the Amazons have been able to achieve through their philosophies and intelligence and craftsmanship, all supported by the culture they created.

I think developing fan theories or arguments for including concepts or ideas into canon for fun is different than living off headcanon, but I'm not familiar with arguments the YouTube reviewer you mention makes.

The jet could be a great stealth tool someday for a rescue story in the pages of Woman Woman.

I also like the symbol of the jet as a technological wonder created by the Amazons, if we someday get the tech-advanced Amazons back. Patriarch's World should marvel at what the Amazons have been able to achieve through their philosophies and intelligence and craftsmanship, all supported by the culture they created.
    J's Reviews is a video game reviewer and has done reviews on the DCAU that's probably why you never heard of him but has only 13,000 subscriber that's probably why you never heard of him. Sure the Invisible Jet could be used in a stealth mission depending on whether Wonder Woman can evade radar but when was the last time anyone used radar on her and it actually alerted the bad guys and then they get decimated by her? Sure but it also needs to evolve more.

I liked update John Byrne gave the Jet, being able to turn into any vehicle that she could imagine, stopping just short of it being a Lantern Ring. I hate when they made it sentient and felt it could have just been AI.

Imagine the original Worlds traveling Hero that Diana was, her burrowing under the earth with it, or transporting victims to safety, flying to Oa, etc.

I also like the idea of it just traveling behind her. She keeps her most dangerous and powerful weapons stored there. Most cannot see it, so it's sorta safe. It's her armory.
    Richard Alexander