Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Superman in Flash 49

Humiliated again

leftbehind.jpg

Well, both Barry and Wally have literally outran Death (well, an aspect of it) itself, and Wally is even faster than Barry. So no use getting hung up on Superman not being as fast as those two.

BANNED

Kind of defeats the purpose of a Flash being the fastest being on Earth if a completely different hero has those bragging rights.

Fantastic Member

I don't see this as Superman being humiliated. Superman isn't a speedster. He's a flying brick who also happens to be really fast. Also, he has no connection to the Speed Force, so there's really no reason he should have been able to keep up with the Flashes.

Even if he's not Flash fast, Superman's speed is still pretty impressive, and he's still probably the fastest non-speedster in the DCU.
    '

That's not humiliation. The man was the only person there, without access to the Speed Force, who could keep up for even a little bit to try and talk to them. And earlier on, its clear that Superman knows that's all he could manage and all he was trying to manage. To catch up just for a few seconds to try and tell them to stop and hope they listen.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yeah Supes can’t keep up with Flash, what’s the problem? Do you want people shouting “Mary Sue”? Because that’s what would happen.

If anything Wonder Woman felt useless. Why was she even there? Just standing around?

Let's not forget about this:

Geoff Johns "classic" approach of letting his pet characters knock down established heroes to prop them up. That was "Hal punching Batman down" moment. Equally as dumb too. Flash can be faster than Superman but it shouldn't be on Superman's expense.

Nevermind, I missed the inclusion of the other pic.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I have no problem with Flash being faster than Superman. Supes is the best at nearly everything. Flash should at least be the fastest hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I have no problem with Flash being faster than Superman. Supes is the best at nearly everything. Flash should at least be the fastest hero.
    Especially if he puts his mind to it.

No sense in him being the "Fastest Man Alive" otherwise.

Incredible Member

I don't mind Flash being the fastest, that's his moniker after all but do the writers always have to use Superman to show character X is "faster", "stronger", etc?
    In this case, Kal is shown confident he can "catch up and talk some sense into" the Flashes only to bite their dust. They could have shown both Superman and Wonder Woman
    try but no, it always has to be at Superman's expense.

leftbehind2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    I don't mind Flash being the fastest, that's his moniker after all but do the writers always have to use Superman to show character X is "faster", "stronger", etc?
    In this case, Kal is shown confident he can "catch up and talk some sense into" the Flashes only to bite their dust. They could have shown both Superman and Wonder Woman
    try but no, it always has to be at Superman's expense.

leftbehind2.jpg
    I think part of it is that one of Superman's defining powers is his super-speed (faster then a speeding bullet), but it's only one facet of his powers, so writers probably want to show the contrast between that and Speedsters who are more defined by their super-speed.

Spectacular Member

I think there is also a nostalgia in a sense, as Superman and the Flash have raced in the past, so having them go up against each other has that classic feel. Of course, nowadays Flash is pretty much the clear winner, which makes it a bit less interesting.

As for why didn't they show Wonder Woman try, frankly when was the last time she's done anything super speed wise, besides the bullets and bracelets thing?