Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Claremont's second and third return to the X-Franchise

Claremont is for good or for ill the most influential writer for the franchise as a whole, almost every modern portrayal is based to an extent on his work, he was kicked out of the books in the 90s, but eventually came back in a couple of occasions. So as the title say, what do you think about his returns, both during the Revolution era in the early 2000s (if i remember the name correctly) or when he came back to the main book on 2004 to 2006. You can also include his runs on X-Xtreme-X-Men, Excalibur and Exiles (X-Men Forever is valid too, if you want).
    Last edited by TheCape; 06-30-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Details that i got wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Claremont is for good or for ill the most influential writer for the franchise as a whole, almost every modern portrayal is based to an extent on his work, he was kicked out of the books in the 90s, but eventually came back in a couple of occasions. So as the title say, what do you think about his returns, both during the Revolution era in the late 90s (if i remember the name correctly) or when he came back to the main book on 2004 to 2006. You can also include his runs on X-Xtreme-X-Men, Excalibur and Exiles (X-Men Forever is valid too, if you want).
    I enjoyed each.

All-New Member

I think it's fair to say that his subsequent work isn't anywhere near as good as his original run on the X-Men. That said, even on his worst day, Claremont is still better than the current run on X-Men Gold. No-one better captured the soap opera elements and the feeling of the X-Men as a family of outcasts better than he did, both of which are sorely missing from today's X-books.

I really loved his original run and his run on X-Treme.

While his style was extremely verbose (which was typical for older writers), I do sometimes miss all the narrative boxes and thought bubbles he used. It allowed the reader to get insight into multiple characters in a single issue. I liked knowing what was going on inside the heads of each characters because how a character acts can often be different than what they're thinking. Usually nonverbal cues are another way you can convey that, but's it's a lot harder to do that in a couple panels of a comic book than in TV/movies. I feel like the change in narrative style for modern comics has relegated a lot more characters to background/wallpaper status if they're not A-list.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    While his style was extremely verbose (which was typical for older writers), I do sometimes miss all the narrative boxes and thought bubbles he used. It allowed the reader to get insight into multiple characters in a single issue. I liked knowing what was going on inside the heads of each characters because how a character acts can often be different than what they're thinking. Usually nonverbal cues are another way you can convey that, but's it's a lot harder to do that in a couple panels of a comic book than in TV/movies. I feel like the change in narrative style for modern comics has relegated a lot more characters to background/wallpaper status if they're not A-list.
    I think that Scott Snyder is the only writter that i can think, who have a similar verbose style of writting (not quite the same but close enought).

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I dropped the X-books after Davis' run in the late 90s and I have never had any desire to read Claremont's run that followed, it seems ... not good. His X-treme run was mostly fun, but it was also basically a regurgitation of his greatest hits from the 80s. His mid 00s run had potential (ignoring that Savage Land story where Rachel becomes a dinosaur), it was definitely better than what came after.

His Nightcrawler run was extremely bland.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Claremont is for good or for ill the most influential writer for the franchise as a whole, almost every modern portrayal is based to an extent on his work, he was kicked out of the books in the 90s, but eventually came back in a couple of occasions. So as the title say, what do you think about his returns, both during the Revolution era in the late 90s (if i remember the name correctly) or when he came back to the main book on 2004 to 2006. You can also include his runs on X-Xtreme-X-Men, Excalibur and Exiles (X-Men Forever is valid too, if you want).
    Revolution was 2000 and I would consider that through his Uncanny in 2006 to be one return. X-treme wasnt just some side title and it directly fits into his Uncanny.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Revolution was 2000 and I would consider that through his Uncanny in 2006 to be one return. X-treme wasnt just some side title and it directly fits into his Uncanny.
    My mistake there, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Second this. I was bored to tears.

Really enjoyed his Uncanny stint with Adam Kubert. That was a fun run and a great, tight cast (Jean Grey, Storm, Cable, Beast, Gambit).

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Didn't think about the solo titles, but if we are taking then into account, his second Wolverine run was disappointing and kind of weird.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think his "Revolution" run tried to do too much in terms of changes to characters, relationships, etc. I believe had Claremont focused more on simply telling good stories rather than challenging readers' expectations, he might have gotten vastly better results. The early 2000 were also a time when the general taste was towards comics having a more cinematic feel, with "wide-screen" action, no captions or thought baloons, which made Claremont's style seem even more dated.

Then came X-Treme X-Men where I feel Chris really got his s#it together, also thanks to 2 excellent artists in Salvador Larroca and Igor Kordey, and delivered a super-fun series which actually got better and better over time. Momentum carried over to his third Uncanny X-Men run, which was also great in my opinion aside from that terrible Savage Land story which we'll chalk up to a very difficult night following a very big dinner at a cheap Mexican restaurant.

On the negative side of things, I think his Genoshan Excalibur series was extremely weak, and Aaron Lopresti was a terrible mismatch for his stories, and I must say I didn't much care for his Exiles either. New Excalibur on the other hand started off pretty strong, then got really weird with that Diana Fox plotline, although I did enjoy the Nocturne-stroke stories.

X-Men Forever and Nightcrawler were both a lot of fun, too. I think Forever suffered Claremont's fascination with body modifications and power swaps, and again Claremont trying to change too much about every single character thus immediately labeling the book as an alternate reality that "didn't matter". Nightcrawler was fun from start to finish though, nothing exceptional but with solid character work and entertaining stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Really enjoyed his Uncanny stint with Adam Kubert. That was a fun run and a great, tight cast (Jean Grey, Storm, Cable, Beast, Gambit).
    What bugged me about that was that cable didn’t stick around too long.
    Last edited by protege; 07-01-2018 at 09:02 PM.