Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    I still think their will be a marriage down the line.
    I see it as a potential endgame/epilogue for King's run, something to subvert the "Batman dies" climax teased since the beginning

Fantastic Member

Imagine a New version of the Trinity with Thomas Wayne jor el and hippolyta

Fantastic Member

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Someone pointed out to me that Sunday, July 1 is an international joke day of the year. How much of all of this is true I have no idea. It's... weird.

I trust both Tom King and Joelle Jones as creators. I am sure that the execution will be excellent, and the twist will make sense in the context of the individual issue and both ongoings.

But, man, it still doesn't feel great after the build-up, the one-shots, and the printed invitations in comic shops. At some point, you have to deliver, or else your readers stop trusting you. At least Marvel still had an actual wedding in Gold #30, and of arguably a much more popular couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovos2099 View Post
    I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Someone pointed out to me that Sunday, July 1 is an international joke day of the year. How much of all of this is true I have no idea. It's... weird.
    This would be a very elaborate joke coming from multiple sources.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I would hope whatever PR hack allowed this colossal screwup is put alone in a room with Tom King for 15 minutes.

Also, DC overplayed its hand here. Don't sell retailers on a big status quo changing event when you know full well it's not the case.

It's a shame Tom King's story is going to get lost in this cluster#@?!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm a big fan of Tom King's work, he's one of the current bests- but his Batman has been really all over the map in quality for me. I Am Suicide and I Am Bane were both great, but then there's stuff like War of Jokes and Riddles which I found to be almost unreadable in parts. I stick with it because when it's good, it's really good.

King excels when writing the Batman who sword fights with despots and has loads of international intrigue. That's the Batman I like most. The more "classic noir Batman" he veers towards, the less it works. Bruce Wayne sitting down with the League of Asassians is one thing, since that is a world of espionage and tense discussions- but having the Joker and Mad Hatter over for dinner at Wayne Manner is ridiculous and pulls me out.

This seems like another case of that. I'll still be reading the CATWOMAN book since it's Joelle Jones, but go back to my "wait and see" approach with Batman. Channel surfing, if you will. I love channel surfing with Batman.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-01-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Lmao what a waste of everyone’s time and money. DC are morons, this has pissed King off. Great job you dumbasses, you’ve pissed off your customers, retailers, and your star writer. What a complete clusterfuck.

BANNED

Please fire Tom King from Batman and perform a massive editorial overhaul. Put Tomasi on Batman after Tec 1000, he's the only writer who can restore goodwill quickly after this eff up. Send King far away as possible from Batman.

So DC are really going to be splitting their two biggest characters from their established love interests on the same week. I expect plenty of outrage come Wednesday when Man of Steel #6 reveals whether Clark and Lois have split or not.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I don't think King should not be blamed for the backlash. He had been clearly building up to it and DC higher ups have probably known for over a year what was going to happen. Blame the execs and marketing who promoted the hell out of this issue with a crap load of variants and proclaiming it's the event of a lifetime because they wanted a huge sales boost. If this had been low key marketed with just like a couple variants, I don't think the backlash would be as high. Based on the poll, the majority of readers thought it was going to happen because of how much of a push it was getting. DC sacrificed the long term for the short term. I feel bad for the people who bought every single variant (I think there were around 30ish) for a wedding that doesn't happen.
    How do you this isn't the story King wanted to tell? The point is the story isn't over.
    King's run always felt like something else was going on. There was a catch. It was just too shallow to be true and his batman didn't read like Batman.

Bleeding Cool noted that there were thing's missed by the NYT. There's much more going on here. The story isn't done yet. I don't think DC pulled the rug out at the last minute. I think this is exactly the story King pitched them.

I don't blame them for trying to squeeze as much cash out this. They are a business. It's what they do. It boosted King's sales numbers.

We are comic readers we are adults. If people blew lots of cash on variant that was a gamble they decided to take. No one forced them.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    So DC are really going to be splitting their two biggest characters from their established love interests on the same week. I expect plenty of outrage come Wednesday when Man of Steel #6 reveals whether Clark and Lois have split or not.
    They haven't, if anything Lois is just off on some kind of mission of her own. It's been pretty spelled out.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    . . . At least Marvel still had an actual wedding in Gold #30, and of arguably a much more popular couple.
    On what planet?!?

It was a dick move on DC’s part to let the NYT review the issue (if that is in fact what happened) but it doesn’t really matter as the “marriage” was a joke from the start in that it wasn’t going to be real, since it was the alter egos getting married.

That said it does suck for the people who read this book that the storyline got spoiled.