Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

I have a wedding song that encapsulates Bruce's whole life in a nutshell lol.

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    The NYT writer isn't the reason this is an issue, Tom King and DC are. People would have been even more pissed if they had all gone and spent a bunch of money for an event that didn't happen.
    It's basically just DC's marketing department's fault. They made it into an event instead of just an arc in the middle of a longer story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I have a wedding song that encapsulates Bruce's whole life in a nutshell lol.
    Bane's even singing at the reception

Fantastic Member

Default Batman Issue 50 spoiler/letdown

I have mixed views on the whole handling of the Batman/Catwoman wedding storyline. Just flummoxed though as to why DC would reveal big spoiler and then state it was to avoid others from spoiling? Seriously' that's the equivalent of a film director standing outside a theatre and telling everyone the ending to the movie. My movie' I'll spoil it. Just seems illogical.
    I'm not too hung-up on outcome, fans saying they invested so much and were cheated by the events in 'said' issue as they bought the tie-in's. The events of issue fifty, doesn't detract from those stories at all. Their logic seems a bit askew.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

So uhh, Tim Seeley says he didn't even know what would happen in issue 50 lol https://twitter.com/HackinTimSeeley/...61295854518273

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's basically just DC's marketing department's fault. They made it into an event instead of just an arc in the middle of a longer story.
    Negative. King has been hyping this for a while now. He even went on a late night show hyping it. He doesn’t get a free pass. He’s still the writer of the shitty story to begin with.

BANNED

Here's BC's advance review

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07...-spoiler-free/

The reason for what does happen is very… well, stupid, and only makes sense if you have a very warped perception of what a kindness is. It’s also rooted in the parts of the Bat mythos that once made me the Batman Hater; it also makes one of the main characters far less likable.

Like I said already, the art is great. Mikel Janin and June Chung nail it in the main thrust of the artwork. The likes of Becky Cloonan, Frank Miller, Neal Adams, Tony S. Daniel, and Jason Fabok contribute some gorgeous artwork to the remainder of the book.

Batman #50 is a massive letdown of a comic. It shoots for meaning and deep emotional resonance but trips itself up on its own perception of what the Batman should be. It’s a visually gorgeous book, and some of the writing is genuinely eloquent and beautiful. However, the whole is far less than the sum of its parts, and I can’t recommend it.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Negative. King has been hyping this for a while now. He even went on a late night show hyping it. He doesn’t get a free pass. He’s still the writer of the shitty story to begin with.
    And who was it that was making this out to be something of was never intended to be? DC and their PR department were the ones who made a bigger deal of this wedding scenario in my opinion and they were the ones primarily responsible for snafu here not the writer. Also King being a writer at DC would be obligated to follow whatever the company line is. In this case DC had made this wedding out to be a huge deal so he had to go along with that. If he's guilty of anything here it's trusting the PR machine with this. It's pretty clear that this plot point was never intended to be resolved in issue #50 at all.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    And who was it that was making this out to be something of was never intended to be? DC and their PR department were the ones who made a bigger deal of this wedding scenario in my opinion and they were the ones primarily responsible for snafu here not the writer. Also King being a writer at DC would be obligated to follow whatever the company line is. In this case DC had made this wedding out to be a huge deal so he had to go along with that. If he's guilty of anything here it's trusting the PR machine with this. It's pretty clear that this plot point was never intended to be resolved in issue #50 at all.
    I think you have it backwards. King has been courting controversy the moment he introduced Catwoman.

First the murders which he answered by pushing the Swamp Thing issue months later.

The firing of Doyle over the engagement. Which left the office without a head editor for a year.

The ripoff Joe Kelly storyline with Wonder Woman which Liam Sharp unfairly got caught in. Sharp even changed his own story.

Blatantly pandering to one Poison Ivy fan on Twitter.

Solicits for Rules of Engagement and Travelers were outright lies.

This man is no saint, he has engaged in questionable behaviour for a while now. DC pushed their biggest book, they supported King all the way. They had a major selling point (frankly the only selling point) so they chose to capitalize on it and once the process started it became hard to stop. What should they have done? NOT promote their flagship book?
    Last edited by Armor of God; 07-03-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Fantastic Member

As a fan I'm pissed but I'm still have a least little hope that this either a fake out or at least the wedding will happen just at a latter date I don't know maybe I'm just being naive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jovos2099 View Post
    As a fan I'm pissed but I'm still have a least little hope that this either a fake out or at least the wedding will happen just at a latter date I don't know maybe I'm just being naive.
    Well we have the 2017 annual as a potential flash-forward. I'll only dismiss that as an elseworld when the run is over and nothing comes of it...but I'll probably still regard it as a flash-forward anyway until another run contradicts it.

Even if King's ultimate plan is to never marry them but give them sufficient emotional closure, he might be ordered to alter his ending and give us the desired outcome, but no way is DC going to repeat this as a major attraction. It'll be a ''surprise'' epilogue to a bigger story they'll promote.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-03-2018 at 10:30 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    I think you have it backwards. King has been courting controversy the moment he introduced Catwoman.

First the murders which he answered by pushing the Swamp Thing issue months later.

The firing of Doyle over the engagement. Which left the office without a head editor for a year.

The ripoff Joe Kelly storyline with Wonder Woman which Liam Sharp unfairly got caught in. Sharp even changed his own story.

Blatantly pandering to one Poison Ivy fan on Twitter.

Solicits for Rules of Engagement and Travelers were outright lies.

This man is no saint, he has engaged in questionable behaviour for a while now. DC pushed their biggest book, they supported King all the way. They had a major selling point (frankly the only selling point) so they chose to capitalize on it and once the process started it became hard to stop. What should they have done? NOT promote their flagship book?
    To be fair Batman doesn't really need the promotion to start with so they very well could have left this whole thing alone and it would have sold anyway. They also could have promoted the wedding by asking the question "Will they make it to the alter?" or something along those lines. They did neither. They made out that the wedding was happening, that it was a done deal and I can't fault King for that.

Whatever other supposed controversies he was involved in he is NOT a member of the PR department at DC. He's merely a work for hire writer and I doubt very seriously he has any control over the company related PR for his books. He doesn't even write the danged solicits as far as I know. I also find it highly unlikely, now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, that he's the one allowing this farce to continue since there is literally no point in continuing to put salt into everyone's wounds.

Bottom line is that the marketing strategy for this can only be blamed on the PR machine and the higher ups that allowed it to get out of hand.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 07-03-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Lol DC marketing is ridiculous but the King haters still manage to one up them. That's quite a feat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    To be fair Batman doesn't really need the promotion to start with so they very well could have left this whole thing alone and it would have sold anyway. They also could have promoted the wedding by asking the question "Will they make it to the alter?" or something along those lines. They did neither. They made out that the wedding was happening, that it was a done deal and I can't fault King for that.

Whatever other supposed controversies he was involved in he is NOT a member of the PR department at DC. He's merely a work for hire writer and I doubt very seriously he has any control over the company related PR for his books. He doesn't even write the danged solicits as far as I know. I also find it highly unlikely, now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, that he's the one allowing this farce to continue since there is literally no point in continuing to put salt into everyone's wounds.
    It does actually since sales have fallen well below the 100k mark DC has been accustomed to. Besides DC would never have passed a chance to promote a gimmick. Its a deplorable industry tactic that does deserve all the scorn it can get but the problem is that King wrote a non story. This is what it all comes down to. Why did he drag the marriage to 50 if it was never happening? Why not write his "story" immediately after WOJAR? King created the hype train. He is the one who attached importance to an otherwise meaningless number while he continued to churn out rubbish filler, pander to a Twitter fan, ripoff another story and get his editor fired. Green Lanterns is also having its 50th issue released this week for instance, no controversy there.

Fantastic Member

All I care about that he starts to treat bruce like a competent hero even the supped up bane needs a hero who is looked at that might be a challenge so far kings version of batman is less than that he no longer has catwoman to cover for him. The proof is he king cant write a good story with a character he dislikes aka batman so I have no faith that occurs. If he writes him like he written him so far he will be canned by issue 60