Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Why hasn't Beast Boy gotten a solo yet!?

Seems pretty annoying to me in the last few years, Cyborg, Starfire, and Raven have all gotten solos while Beast Boy has been left in the dust. Heck DC does seem to lack all ages books and he seems to be the most popular character with kids because of the current cartoon.

I don't think people see Beast Boy a "solo" character,I know I don't... I wouldn't mind seeing him lead an iteration of the Doom Patrol.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Beast Boy is better as an ensemble character. Either with the Doom Patrol or the TT. I'd really prefer to see him back on the Doom Patrol as a POV framing character.

Cause I’d probably bomb. Though an all ages BB book doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

Astonishing Member

Beast Boy putting together his own version of the Doom Patrol would be an interesting story arc.

He's gotten a mini, though not successive ones like Raven has (or have they been ongoings? It's hard to tell sometimes ).

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Beast Boy putting together his own version of the Doom Patrol would be an interesting story arc.
    Didn't they do a TT East story like this?

A Young Animal title, with him going by 'Changeling' again, could do good.
    Perhaps titled "Changeling: The Beast Boy" or "Beast Boy, the Changeling" (eventually giving way to just being called "The Changeling"), so readers more familiar with one name instead of the other would still recognize him.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Didn't they do a TT East story like this?
    I'm pretty sure he was on the Doom Patrol after Infinite Crisis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    A Young Animal title, with him going by 'Changeling' again, could do good.
    Perhaps titled "Changeling: The Beast Boy" or "Beast Boy, the Changeling" (eventually giving way to just being called "The Changeling"), so readers more familiar with one name instead of the other would still recognize him.
    It's kind of funny that most people probably barely recognize or know about "Changeling" even though it's actually what Gar went by for most of the New Teen Titans .

Incredible Member

Could someone explain why Beast Boy only works as an ensemble character or can't hold his own story? In certain iterations he has been able to turn in to mythical creatures and sci fi creatures, so he can fit in any setting. He is kind of like an animal version of Ben 10. He has range.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Could someone explain why Beast Boy only works as an ensemble character or can't hold his own story? In certain iterations he has been able to turn in to mythical creatures and sci fi creatures, so he can fit in any setting. He is kind of like an animal version of Ben 10. He has range.
    What they REALLY mean is that they don't want to see Beast Boy as a solo character. Any character CAN work solo. Fans just want him to be restricted to a team just because it's always been like that. It's nonsense, to be honest.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

I guess because Beast Boy has only worked as part of an ensemble character, and hasn't held his own story. Im not sure why, but no one really seems interested in Best Boy from a creative standpoint at DC. When he gets a story its always just that kind of filler story of the run. Personally at this point, because they have force him on pretty much every TTs, from Dick to Damian, only for him to pretty much just be there, just the sight of him bores me. Which isn't really the characters fault, but thats where im at with beast Boy.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-01-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Incredible Member

I'm curious, does he actually have a appreciation thread? I've seen some for the other titans but not him. I really haven't had much exposure with Beast Boy, but he was my favorite in TT series. Though I like his characterization in Young Justice the most.

Incredible Member

I don't get why people think we can only work as an ensemble character if he's given the right supporting cast a solo for him would be pretty interesting. I mean we've barely ever seen him interact with anyone outside the hero world.

Astonishing Member

I think that Beast Boy's main problem is that writers see him as the funny guy and don't do much with him besides that. In the past Beast Boy was more than comic relief. Now writers just ignore the darker aspects of his character(Abnett seems to be bring that back with BB currently looking like a monster but this is Abnett and I don't see it ending well).

Writers seem not to realize that the funny character isn't very funny on their own if everyone treats them as a joke or no one reacts to their jokes. The best funny characters are the ones who are competent and funny or the ones who serve as a foil to the overly serious character or the crazy character.

Right now, Beast Boy isn't written as competent(he should be),not very funny and isn't anyone's foil.