Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I had a feeling it was going to turn out this way. Not surprised at all. Reminds me of the last time I took a break for awhile from DC, it involved Dick Grayson and Starfire.

At least Marvel finally gave us Romy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Genius. I laughed for like five minutes at this. The perfect touch of keeping Colossus' dialog unchanged. And the womp womp at the end.

You know King's dialog would be more like "Bat...." "Cat....?" "Bat....!" (I love King's work so much, but, man, he does that a lot in Batman.)

BANNED

I mean, if Dick and Babs got married on the same day, I'd think DC has spies in Marvel. (I would also accept it as a good substitute, though I don't think it works for each character at this point.) But runaway bride is such a (weird) staple of comics. You get the anticipation of the marriage and the sales boost that comes with it, and none of the bother of writing an actual marriage and shaking up the status quo.

I find it kinda funny and ironic that when X-men Gold 30 was released, many DC fans were saying: DC is doing a wedding right, and Marvel royally screwed up their attempt. And as much as I wanted Bat&Cat to be a thing I was thinking don't count those chickens yet, and sure enough DC follows Marvel's example and throws an iconic relationship into a dumpster fire. At least Marvel swapped one iconic couple getting married for another where as DC is like: "Just like let it burn! The only good Batman is an unhappy Batman!" Brings back my feelings of the failed Nightwing&Starfire wedding, and Peter&MJ marriage. I gave up on comics for awhile after both of those. Editorial seems to think marriage is the death touch for superheroes. Hopefully Mr&Mrs X ends up proving them wrong.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelNovasun View Post
    I find it kinda funny and ironic that when X-men Gold 30 was released, many DC fans were saying: DC is doing a wedding right, and Marvel royally screwed up their attempt. And as much as I wanted Bat&Cat to be a thing I was thinking don't count those chickens yet, and sure enough DC follows Marvel's example and throws an iconic relationship into a dumpster fire. At least Marvel swapped one iconic couple getting married for another where as DC is like: "Just like let it burn! The only good Batman is an unhappy Batman!" Brings back my feelings of the failed Nightwing&Starfire wedding, and Peter&MJ marriage. I gave up on comics for awhile after both of those. Editorial seems to think marriage is the death touch for superheroes. Hopefully Mr&Mrs X ends up proving them wrong.
    You had the Peter and Mary Jane and Lois and Clark marriages for for like ten or so years to prove the idea wrong and they still sought to tear them apart except Lois and Clark came back. And they still think that what more can you do to prove anything I ask you?
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Marvel is always blatantly copying DC :[

Just look at Hyperion among others.

Someone over at the 'NYT Times' DC thread analogued this to someone promising to give you a million dollars, only to kick you in the nuts at the very end of it. Now I have the perfect analogy for X-Men Gold #30. Someone threatens you to kick you in the nuts. They threaten you with this over the course of around 6 months, even sending a picture of their leg to remind you (Wedding Special). When the day finally comes, they, in turn, reveal it was just a prank and give you a million dollars. Not as much as you would've liked for the constant threats, but better than the nut-kicking by a mile.

And that about summed up my feelings about Gold #30.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelNovasun View Post
    Lmao, yeah, I saw so many twitter posts saying Marvel screwed up the wedding but how DC was going to do it right. "Thankfully we still have DC to look forward to."

Annnnd it was another shitty fake. At least they're both consistently bad, right? It isn't like you can definitively say DC is doing some amazing stuff and Marvel isn't or vice-versa. Nope. Both pulling the same bullshit.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so fanfiction-tier badly done from start to finish, at least in Marvel's case. I can't imagine the requirements for becoming a writer at Marvel are very high.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Someone over at the 'NYT Times' DC thread analogued this to someone promising to give you a million dollars, only to kick you in the nuts at the very end of it. Now I have the perfect analogy for X-Men Gold #30. Someone threatens you to kick you in the nuts. They threaten you with this over the course of around 6 months, even sending a picture of their leg to remind you (Wedding Special). When the day finally comes, they, in turn, reveal it was just a prank and give you a million dollars. Not as much as you would've liked for the constant threats, but better than the nut-kicking by a mile.

OMG, yes to all of that! LOL

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

This isn’t exactly new.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I mean, if Dick and Babs got married on the same day, I'd think DC has spies in Marvel. (I would also accept it as a good substitute, though I don't think it works for each character at this point.) But runaway bride is such a (weird) staple of comics. You get the anticipation of the marriage and the sales boost that comes with it, and none of the bother of writing an actual marriage and shaking up the status quo.
    The spy is obviously Jeph Loeb. He’s been sabotaging Marvel since he left DC.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post

...that is a hilarious analogy. Lol, perfection.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

poor dc fans
    They don't even get a consolation marriage (which is way better than the original, but that's beside the point)

BANNED

Just goes to show--there are no new ideas in comics. Failed Marriages. BIG DEATH ISSUES !!!!!!!!!! Maybe there aren't any stories left to tell.