Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

That Chicago picture … "You don't tug on Superman's cape" I keep hearing that "Jim Croce" song in my head - "You Don't Mess with Jim"

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Underwear doesn't have belt loops. My trunks don't have the belt built in, they have loops for my belt, which helps hold the trunks in place (and gives me a place to hide my phone, lol)

Everybody has their tastes, though. "Edna" here doesn't much like my cape...

Attachment 70981
    (this is from Wizard World Chicago, this year - had a blast, btw)
    That Chicago picture … "You don't tug on Superman's cape" I keep hearing that "Jim Croce" song in my head - "You Don't Mess with Jim"

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    LOL - good call! Love me some Jim Croce, too. Yeah, it's was pretty funny - she asked if she could do it (for a "The Incredibles" reference) and I loved the idea so much, I had to have a pic of it for myself.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I saw Superman with trunks during all my Childhood and years later in films/animated series(all my life before read comics during N52 era)..

When I saw the character without trunks in N52 I was confused.. Why? But fortunatelly his belt was red(He needs the red)..

All the costume blue is boring(or with yellow belt, he needs red), I see the costume with red trunks now and I am happy for that.
    Last edited by adrikito; 09-19-2018 at 03:21 AM.

Batman - should follow Superman's lead and don the trunks! Back to Basics!

WW- Back to the 1940's we go to "Sensation Comics No 1" with Wonder Woman in a skirt! We've come full circle!

The "S" symbols were - Works in Progress with slight variations on a theme, and artistic renditions (interpretations) - although they could have stop with one symbols in the middle.

You're right, some change is good, but then again, some change is unnecessary and actually a mistake! So you have to ask yourself - why am I changing this or, in this case - who am I changing this for?
    It comes down to opinion. You think it's a mistake but I think it's a nice change that makes Superman look modern and cool. And I don't think I'm alone on this. Maybe I'm the minority in this forum, but I can assure you many feel like I do.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Batman doesn't wear trunks anymore and he is still Batman. Wonder Woman has an skirt now and she is still her. In fact, she looks better.

Same thing with Superman. The underwear does not define him, IMO.

Also, the 'S' has changed thru the years and it's still Superman. Some change is good.

Attachment 70992
    Batman - should follow Superman's lead and don the trunks! Back to Basics!

WW- Back to the 1940's we go to "Sensation Comics No 1" with Wonder Woman in a skirt! We've come full circle!

The "S" symbols were - Works in Progress with slight variations on a theme, and artistic renditions (interpretations) - although they could have stop with one symbols in the middle.

You're right, some change is good, but then again, some change is unnecessary and actually a mistake! So you have to ask yourself - why am I changing this or, in this case - who am I changing this for?
    Batman Rebirth #53 "Please prepare the original suit" "I need to remember who I am."

Batman (2016-) 053-024.jpg

That proves nothing. Just one writer's opinion.

A lot or the merch in stores has a Superman and the League wearing the New 52 (and sometimes the Reborn suit) costume. Gee I wonder why.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 09-19-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Incredible Member

A lot or the merch in stores has a Superman and the League wearing the New 52 (and sometimes the Reborn suit) costume. Gee I wonder why.
    Simple.... Overstock. A costume change for a character might last a few years. But any merch created with that look is likely to cram shelves for a longer period after that look is abandoned. Probably a couple of more years before it all sells through.

Nevertheless Superman's trunks are back and Batman's trunks are back.

Probably because the trunks being back is too recent for the factories in Taiwan to retool the dies to make Superman action figures with trunks.

From the newest Krypton - Superman ice cream. I think he looks great, and I hope DC/WB continue to market the character with different suits to get people more used to it.

https://www.superheroicecream.com/

I hope so too, and I think they will. The trunks didn't go away from all sight in the five years the main continuity version was without them. I anticipate the same here. Not only in merchandising but, again like the period in which the main continuity version was without them, in other-continuity comics.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Agreed. A different artist drawing it doesn't make it a different symbol/costume/etc.

I hate when I see things like this promoting 'how much they've changed....' Because they weren't changes. Electric Superman was an arc that began... and apparently ended in 1998. Kingdom come was an elseworld story. The basic symbol went through 7 changes in the first 2 years... and then stayed consistent for the next 77 years.

The Reborn suit was the best modern outfit update we got. Of course DC barely sticks with it before they brought back the trunks. Irritates me to no end. I hope to see him wearing it again.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The Reborn suit was the best modern outfit update we got. Of course DC barely sticks with it before they brought back the trunks. Irritates me to no end. I hope to see him wearing it again.
    I too really liked that suit. It's the only time I've liked Superman sans trunks.

Actually, I can answer that: licensing. I've done work in music licensing (for companies who licensed both my music and images from other properties) and those things can take years to set up. In addition, license materials are usually a few years behind on changes unless there's a specific push from the company. It's why some things were New52 right away, but others stayed classic for a few years. The Rebirth suit was still being used after the Reborn suit came out, and the Reborn suit being used when they're back to the "new classic".

It's also up to the licensee. DC, if they're like other companies and I'm sure they are, sends a range of "accepted artworks" that can be licensed for use by the company doing the licensing to pick. One candy company, for example, had DC suckers for Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Clark and Diana were New52, but Batman was 90's era, trunks and all. Explain THAT one, I dare ya. lol

But yeah - there are a lot of business factors that're involved with the whys and hows of that kinda stuff, and not really to do with "being current" or even any sense of market preference.

Hope that helps.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/