Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    And if we are trying to make Superman look modern, why does he still have a cape? Almost every superhero no longer has a cape. Even Catwoman discarded her cape back in the 1980s.
    I don't buy it aids in aerodynamics because Iron Man and lots of other characters fly just fine without a cape.

I thought it ironic that during Marvel's Civil War the SHIELD power suits were refered to as 'CapeKillers'. Besides the insanely antagonistic sound to something in hero vs. hero conflict.... Marvel has NEVER been one for Capes. Off the top of my head there was Thor (who was dead) Doctor Strange, Cloak and Moon Knight and none of them were really A-list.

DC I could see getting away with that with Superman, Batman, Robins. Dr. Midnight, Hourman, Captain Marvel... and lots of other characters sticking with the traditional looks... but Marvel? A very weird thing to call out.

Master Hero Vladimir

Honestly, I don't think DC should change Superman's uniform again anytime soon. Change is only meaningful if it's followed upon. If DC changes something only to change it again, then fans have to no reason to get emotionally invested. Both of Superman's uniforms in the Rebirth era were great and I'm glad the classic suit returned, but DC should hold off on any changes in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Honestly, I don't think DC should change Superman's uniform again anytime soon. Change is only meaningful if it's followed upon. If DC changes something only to change it again, then fans have to no reason to get emotionally invested. Both of Superman's uniforms in the Rebirth era were great and I'm glad the classic suit returned, but DC should hold off on any changes in the foreseeable future.
    I actually want to see them go the exact other way with it. Instead of sticking to one single costume, rotate them on a regular basis.

Harley Quinn stopped wearing a costume and started wearing a theme. And it seems to have worked out really, really well. You can put Harley in a lot of different clothes, and still make her instantly recognizable. As long as the colors and diamonds are there (and the hammer helps too) people identify her.

I wouldn't want to see DC go that far with Clark where there's no visual consistency at all. That'd be way too much. But if he's in a fight with Mongol and his costume gets ripped, I wouldn't be against him taking the Rebirth suit (or whatever) out of the closet for a few arcs until he gets the time to fix the torn one. Or if he's expecting a big, tough battle (like against Darkseid or someone) he puts on the New52 armor. Let Clark mix his wardrobe up a little bit. It can all orbit around the classic suit if need be, but a regular switch isn't going to hurt anyone and might help keep things interesting. And fans can enjoy it when their personal favorite rotates in.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I actually want to see them go the exact other way with it. Instead of sticking to one single costume, rotate them on a regular basis.

Harley Quinn stopped wearing a costume and started wearing a theme. And it seems to have worked out really, really well. You can put Harley in a lot of different clothes, and still make her instantly recognizable. As long as the colors and diamonds are there (and the hammer helps too) people identify her.

I wouldn't want to see DC go that far with Clark where there's no visual consistency at all. That'd be way too much. But if he's in a fight with Mongol and his costume gets ripped, I wouldn't be against him taking the Rebirth suit (or whatever) out of the closet for a few arcs until he gets the time to fix the torn one. Or if he's expecting a big, tough battle (like against Darkseid or someone) he puts on the New52 armor. Let Clark mix his wardrobe up a little bit. It can all orbit around the classic suit if need be, but a regular switch isn't going to hurt anyone and might help keep things interesting. And fans can enjoy it when their personal favorite rotates in.
    Bravo, agree completely. Take advantage of what has worked for many fans. Some prefer the New52 suit (I love it), use it. Or the Reborn one. The classic one. the Black one. Use the popular ones and keep things interesting visually. Don't even need to explain it. Clark just felt like wearing a different one. Why not? But please keep the same colors and the awesome cape. It makes him look majestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I don't know a "rotation" makes sense but they need to change uniform often enough to where fans stop complaining about change. Spiderman has been in gazillion different costumes but we know that he is going to end up back in his red and blue suit. Once we get out of the Superman is not superman if he is not in this suit everything will be fine.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I don't know a "rotation" makes sense but they need to change uniform often enough to where fans stop complaining about change. Spiderman has been in gazillion different costumes but we know that he is going to end up back in his red and blue suit. Once we get out of the Superman is not superman if he is not in this suit everything will be fine.
    I don't know much about Spider-Man, but I think Batman can afford the suit changes because he's rich and has been changing suits since the Silver Age, so it stands to reason people have an easier time accepting that Batman has many spare suits in the Batcave. Superman either has a suit made of indestructible fabric or a bioelectric aura that keeps his suit intact during battle, so he doesn't have to change his suit like Batman. Also, he hasn't made any meaningful changes to his outfit since the 90s, so whenever he changes his suit, fans notice.

Fans should get used to see Superman with a new suit sometimes, and many already like that idea. DC should keep doing it more often so more fans get used to it.

I just love this suit and art by Garcia Lopez. Looks like Superman to me. All the main elements are there. Diana has a new suit in the movies and I think it's a big improvement.

7aa3dceb697a48cdd62dc62c0b4dd3e3.jpg

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Fans should get used to see Superman with a new suit sometimes, and many already like that idea. DC should keep doing it more often so more fans get used to it.

I just love this suit and art by Garcia Lopez. Looks like Superman to me. All the main elements are there. Diana has a new suit in the movies and I think it's a big improvement.

7aa3dceb697a48cdd62dc62c0b4dd3e3.jpg
    Garcia Lopez is one of the few artists that can make the New 52 tolerable for me. My problem with the New 52 suit is that it looks needlessly complicated on-page, what with its excessive seamlines and high collar, not to mention that it's an armor, and Superman doesn't need armor in the first place.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Garcia Lopez is one of the few artists that can make the New 52 tolerable for me. My problem with the New 52 suit is that it looks needlessly complicated on-page, what with its excessive seamlines and high collar, not to mention that it's an armor, and Superman doesn't need armor in the first place.
    This, but I also hate the sharp cuffs and black shield on his cape. The whole suit looks like it's trying way too hard to be cool. I prefer trunks on Superman and Batman, but I think the Reborn suit was a perfectly fine compromise.

I think it looks great. And it looks like Superman, just more modern. The seamlines don't bother me at all. On the contrary, it gives the suit some texture. The Cavill suits in the movies are also pretty complicated and excessive, Do you like them?

Did they say that it's armor and that he needs it for protection (New52 suit)?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think it looks great. And it looks like Superman, just more modern. The seamlines don't bother me at all. On the contrary, it gives the suit some texture. The Cavill suits in the movies are also pretty complicated and excessive, Do you like them?

Did they say that it's armor and that he needs it for protection?
    It's specifically referred to as Kryptonian battle armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's specifically referred to as Kryptonian battle armor.
    But does he use it because he likes it or also for protection? I don't see what's so wrong if he likes to wear it.

Master Hero Vladimir

I'm not entirely willing to dismiss the New 52 suit, as certain artists made it look good on-page, like Tyler Kirkham, Kenneth Rocafort and Jason Fabok. The suit looked great in Injustice: Gods Among Us, but that's a video game that requires visual detail in order to impress players. The animated movies did a good job in streamlining the suit, like removing the seamlines and the armored look. I also liked Superman's characterization in Injustice and the animated movies better than in the comic books, as the comic book writers during the New 52 era were more interested in writing their own versions of Superman instead of delivering a single, more cohesive narrative.

But does he use it because he likes it or also for protection? I don't see what's so wrong if he likes to wear it.
    It actually offered protection when he first found it on Brainiac's ship because he was still at GA levels. When his powers increased, the protection element of the suit became superfluous, but it was still his suit, it was still one of the only keepsakes he had of Krypton, so he still wore it.

I never even thought this had to be pointed out in the books, but it eventually was.

In my book though, this is close to what would be what a New 52-inspired Superman's costume would look like if he ever was brought back:
    tumblr_n8oh3lWzNy1sh6my1o7_1280.jpg

The belt should be thicker, and I prefer the yellow oval.I'd make the lighter parts of the costume more blue so the difference in tone to the rest of the blue would be very minimal, basically only noticeable via the sheen, but other than that I love this look. The "lines" would actually be solar panels, and what they'd do is augment Superman's powers when he was at Golden Age levels after he finds it. Eventually Superman's powers grow to the point where he doesn't need the boost anymore, in fact the amount of solar energy he can take in eventually becomes even more than that of the suit, and at that point the usefulness of the paneling is that it becomes a back up battery for times he's away for prolonged periods from the yellow sun. That would be my absolute ideal in regards to design and what it offers.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-17-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It actually offered protection when he first found it on Brainiac's ship because he was still at GA levels. When his powers increased, the protection element of the suit became superfluous, but it was still his suit, it was still one of the only keepsakes he had of Krypton, so he still worse it.

I never even thought this had to be pointed out in the books, but it eventually was.

In my book though, this is close to what would be what a New 52-inspired Superman's costume would look like if he ever was brought back:

The belt should be thicker, and I prefer the yellow oval.I'd make the lighter parts of the costume more blue so the difference in tone to the rest of the blue would be very minimal, basically only noticeable via the sheen, but other than that I love this look. The "lines" would actually be solar panels, and what they'd do is augment Superman's powers when he was at Golden Age levels after he finds it. Eventually Superman's powers grow to the point where he doesn't need the boost anymore, and at that point the usefulness of the paneling is that it becomes a back up battery for times he's away for prolonged periods from the yellow sun. That would be my absolute ideal in regards to design and what it offers.
    Very interesting. yeah, the lighter parts need to be darker. thanks.