Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Totally! It was the...um....
    ...imaginary one.. and the head of our troop was.. um... ...Mister Rogers..
    Dude was a former sniper. Mad respect.

It's funny you mention him, a co-worker (fellow manager, actually) just gifted everyone with little tin mints with Mister Rogers on them, called "Encouragemints." A little something to get everyone through the heat and insanity of summer tourism season. I buy Popsicles and Mountain Dew for the crew.

I'm a big Rogers fan. That guy was an incredible person.

Oh, I'd be in for that. I have my own cape, they'll just let me walk right in! lol
    I was going to say something about security clearances......but they let that one dude with the knife just walk in the White House, and he got pretty deep before they realized he shouldn't be there. So, sure, I'll get my cape and we'll join up for the weekend!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    IHuh. I wonder if trump's "space force" will have capes? It gods damn well better!
    Probably lose a bit of its chic in freefall.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I never noticed that Supes wasn't wearing red trunks until they announced the red trunks were making a come back.

Though I only started reading superman a couple years ago so that might be why

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Well, it's not underwear is it, when something is worn outside, it must be overwear--that's just good English usage. Besides the fact that with the belt the trunks don't look like gonch. But I get the dad remark. I might not be a dad but I have a dad brain and this is something I would do.

Many years ago, when I was at uni, I signed up for a ballet exercise class for which I had to wear leggings. Of course, I wore a cup under these leggings, but modesty still made me wear shorts over the leggings. It would never occur to me to wear leggings without wearing some sort of shorts over them, if I was out in public. To me it's downright creepy to see Henry Cavill's Clark walking around without covering up--he grew up in Smallville not New York, you'd think Clark would be more modest.

Even if the original idea was circus strongmen (I'm reminded of old school wrestlers), it's understandable why early publishers glommed onto the trunks for their superheroes as those trunks help to cover up a sensitive area. Otherwise, you end up with characters like Captain Marvel and the Flash who seemed to be lacking something in that area--and you couldn't expect artists to add detail there without upsetting the morality police. So the trunks and liberal amounts of india ink hid the details without making the heroes look like geldings. I'm just saying.
    I really never got the "dad brain" thing. Did most people grow up with incredibly goofy dads? And there are better ways of protecting modesty. I view the bottom part of the costume as closer to pants than leggings.

Dude was a former sniper. Mad respect.

It's funny you mention him, a co-worker (fellow manager, actually) just gifted everyone with little tin mints with Mister Rogers on them, called "Encouragemints." A little something to get everyone through the heat and insanity of summer tourism season. I buy Popsicles and Mountain Dew for the crew.

I'm a big Rogers fan. That guy was an incredible person.
    Oh, me too - big time. I've always been a fan, and recently seeing "Won't You Be My Neighbor" just cemented that even further. A phenomenal human being who doesn't get enough credit, imo.

Are you sure he was a sniper, though? I didn't think he'd served in the military.

I was going to say something about security clearances......but they let that one dude with the knife just walk in the White House, and he got pretty deep before they realized he shouldn't be there. So, sure, I'll get my cape and we'll join up for the weekend!
    LOL! Sounds good to me! If we get caught, just tell them we're with Goldman Sachs, then they won't bother us! lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Are you sure he was a sniper, though? I didn't think he'd served in the military.
    Well, that's what I had always heard. But I just did a little bit of fact checking and it turns out that nope, the "Rogers was a sniper" thing is one of those persistent Internet rumors.

LOL! Sounds good to me! If we get caught, just tell them we're with Goldman Sachs, then they won't bother us! lol
    Well, claiming to be from Goldman Sachs would probably get you in a lot of places. Assuming you can sell it.

I wouldn't be able too. My beard is far too impressive and my tattoos far too visible (one of them anyway).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Well, that's what I had always heard. But I just did a little bit of fact checking and it turns out that nope, the "Rogers was a sniper" thing is one of those persistent Internet rumors.
    It's all good - there's a lot of those out there.

Well, claiming to be from Goldman Sachs would probably get you in a lot of places. Assuming you can sell it.

I wouldn't be able too. My beard is far too impressive and my tattoos far too visible (one of them anyway).
    Oh, well in that case... I'll just say you're my "Security". (see what I did there? lol)
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Because none of those things resemble wearing underwear outside your pants.
    So....if the leggings were RED to Match the Trunks color, would you still hold on to that theory?

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    I like the trunks because every alternative to them (as of yet) doesn't look good. The new 52 suit was a mess for various reasons and the Reborn suit had a very awkward belt. I wonder how the suit would look with a belt similar to the Red Son version instead of the trunks.

I can't say everyone makes the trunks work. Frank Miller, Doc Shaner, Frank Quitely made them look so good, I couldn't imagine their Superman without them. Ivan Reis on the other hand makes them look so tight and even uncomfortable, like Superman fights a constant wedgie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    In my opinion, the red belt helped break-up the blue a bit, but it did not work that well and the trunks break up the blue better.
    Nothing works better than the RED\Trunks which are neat, simple, effective and functional in that classic design!

The "re-born suit" was close - but - "NO cigar" as it was still a step down while looking a bit "OFF" from the "Iconic" look of the past 3/4 of a century.

The base design is just too strong - if you take something from it (or, substitute) you "weaken" it! With the exception of mini touches, like making the yellow shield on the cape a two-toned version, as so it stands out more in a pronounced fashion - Otherwise, all else about Superman's legendary costume is about as perfect as you can get, as it is all just laid out and falls into neatly and sensibly into place with-out even thinking about it.

However, if the "strategic location" and epicenter of what some "perceive as the problem area" was not under the microscope of needless controversy and misconception, this discussion would be all - Null and VOID!

For the anti-trunk crowd - best option:
    Start from scratch, on a different design path because YOU, just can't improve on the classic!
    Last edited by jimmy; 07-06-2018 at 04:56 AM.

Retired

I agree with the above. I think the best thing for new 52 was just to forget the traditional costume existed and try to design what the artist thought would be a great costume for a character named Superman. [But probably get a younger artist to do the design and not Jim Lee who keeps regurgitating old trends.] We probably would still be upset about it, but we wouldn't be thinking about the trunks so much (given that was the big detail that the new 52 left out) and we'd see the new outfit as a whole concept. The problem with the new 52 is it always reminded one of the old costume--so it kept triggering people, one way or the other.

I prefer the trunks to fit loose. I don't like when artists draw them too tight or riding up--giving Superman a wedgie. I really do think they serve to mask his junk--because that's just the civil thing to do. Booster Gold might want to show off his bulge, but Superman being essentially Clark Kent is not that kind of guy. It also gives the artists the chance to do some folds and shading, which I think adds a nice texture to the outfit.

And as I've said many times, the thing I love most is the belt loops with the yellow belt. That's such a nice touch of realism. Very utilitarian.

Kind of OT, but I always found it kind of funny when artists would draw Superman to look more old-fashioned and they'd give him baggier trunks with legs, as in All-Star Superman and Justice League: The New Frontier. It's as if they're saying "hey, this is how Superman originally looked" but most illustrations of Superman in the golden age made the trunks look like briefs, not boxers. They were maybe a bit boxier in shape, where the leg holes are a little less curved than in modern art, but they really didn't have legs, other than maybe in a couple of random instances.

Oh, well in that case... I'll just say you're my "Security". (see what I did there? lol)
    Ha! I did.

Man, I have barely logged in for weeks. Maybe a month or two. Barely done any of the "Death of Superman" stuff, haven't touched the summer holiday event yet......hell, I barely got started on the Deluge content and we're about to hit a whole new DLC.......

Did make a nice 1.5 mill on the broker yesterday and ran the DoS dailies, but that's been the only thing I've done in a while. What little gaming time I've had has been going to Overwatch.

~ Black Panther.

Ha! I did.

Man, I have barely logged in for weeks. Maybe a month or two. Barely done any of the "Death of Superman" stuff, haven't touched the summer holiday event yet......hell, I barely got started on the Deluge content and we're about to hit a whole new DLC.......

Did make a nice 1.5 mill on the broker yesterday and ran the DoS dailies, but that's been the only thing I've done in a while. What little gaming time I've had has been going to Overwatch.
    Yeah - I've been doing more with DoS, it's been good. Supergirl's reworked costume was really interesting (the almost vintage-style cheerleader texture of her top was different looking but really neat) I will say, seeing Krypto react to the DoS cape base item was touching and a really cool idea (both are in my Fortress Of Solitude base, so feel free to check it out). But I hear you on getting behind. It's easy to do, especially when things are busy for me right now (can't live on the damn thing like I did in 2011, lol)

Nice on the 1.5! I need to get back to doing more money-making stuff - plenty out there, just have to have the time to do it.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    So....if the leggings were RED to Match the Trunks color, would you still hold on to that theory?
    It would still be underwear over leggings, why would color matter?

What if the trunks were just a red part of the pants and not an actual separate garment?

RR_01282018mm_4621JPG.jpg
    Last edited by Last Son; 07-06-2018 at 07:04 PM.