Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    What if the trunks were just a red part of the pants and not an actual separate garment?
    Can't speak for everyone but I still wouldn't like it.

Retired

The thing is there are hundreds of DC and Marvel comics in recent years, when the no-trunks idea has taken hold, where the artists draw lines that make it seem like the characters are still wearing trunks, just trunks that are exactly the same colour. So the red trunks with red leggings question has merit. I don't think people would make a big deal about it, because when Superman was wearing all blue, some artists did draw those lines and nobody seemed to freak out about it. It's only when there's an obvious contrast that it seems to attract attention. This is why I don't think it's such a big deal if Batman wears black trunks with black-grey leggings. Or if Captain America wears blue trunks with blue leggings.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Can't speak for everyone but I still wouldn't like it.
    Did you make a sour face and cross your arms defiantly after you typed that?

Did you make a sour face and cross your arms defiantly after you typed that?
    Nope. I can disagree without being sour or petulant. I actually rather like the debate, I just don't always have the best words to respond with. Sorry if it read like I was being cross or anything.

Nah it's fine, I was just messing with you. Still though, I don't see where the issue is if there's no actual outer-wear, just a color pattern as in the Rey Mysterio example. Maybe if there was something else there to indicate visually that the red is just a color pattern(like the 619 down the side of his pant leg)?

Just for the hell of it, another example of the trunks-which-aren't-trunks look:

ed209-16.jpg
    Last edited by Last Son; 07-06-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Nah it's fine, I was just messing with you. Still though, I don't see where the issue is if there's no actual outer-wear, just a color pattern as in the Rey Mysterio example. Maybe if there was something else there to indicate visually that the red is just a color pattern(like the 619 down the side of his pant leg)?

Just for the hell of it, another example of the trunks-which-aren't-trunks look:

ed209-16.jpg
    It just is a visual that seems distracting. A red belt, a slightly different blue from the top, not drawing the bottoms like latex leggings but more like pants, problem solved outside the fans who hate change.

And Robocop is different, because it doesn't look like trunks, but like his legs are mechanically separate from his pelvis, which works because robot.

If the bottoms were drawn more like pants, then it would be even more apparent that the red portion isn't trunks. I don't hate change, I just don't have a problem with the trunks and I feel like all this wide-scale conforming is making superheroes less unique. One common excuse to ditch them is "no one else has them anymore, so Superman shouldn't either", which is kind of a silly reason to get rid of something. Like every superhero look should just be the same few acceptable suit elements mixed and matched like a create-a-superhero feature in a video game.
    Last edited by Last Son; 07-06-2018 at 08:10 PM.

If the bottoms were drawn more like pants, then it would be even more apparent that the red portion isn't trunks. I don't hate change, I just don't have a problem with the trunks and I feel like all this wide-scale conforming is making superheroes look less unique. One common excuse to ditch them is "no one else has them anymore, so Superman shouldn't either", which is kind of a silly reason to get rid of something. Like every superhero look should just be the same few acceptable suit elements mixed and matched like a create-a-superhero feature in a video game.
    I disagree. There are so many different things that make Superman look distinctive to me outside the undies. And plenty of things make heroes look different from one another without being as dated. Masks, is there one? Is it domino, partial or full face, a cowl? Cape or no cape? Armor? Boots or sneakers? Symbol of some sort? Colors and textures. Gloves or no gloves? Belts? Just for show or functional? Jacket or coat? Superboy style street clothes? And I will quit now because I could do this for a bit.

And if the bottoms were drawn like pants, why put another color in it?

I disagree. There are so many different things that make Superman look distinctive to me outside the undies. And plenty of things make heroes look different from one another without being as dated. Masks, is there one? Is it domino, partial or full face, a cowl? Cape or no cape? Armor? Boots or sneakers? Symbol of some sort? Colors and textures. Gloves or no gloves? Belts? Just for show or functional? Jacket or coat? Superboy style street clothes? And I will quit now because I could do this for a bit.

And if the bottoms were drawn like pants, why put another color in it?
    Because it would still be too much blue?

Because it would still be too much blue?
    Only to some segment of fans. In all his trunks-less looks I never once thought it was too much blue. Probably most readers didn't. But the trunks fans will always use it as their argument.

I still say its not a question of how much color rather the distribution of it. Obviously utilizing the trunks give you more red. But when using a trunkless design you can distribute some red via accents elsewhere. This has been mostly achieved via the belt. The New 52 went a step further and provided red accents to the cuffs and neck areas. A similar idea is how the Flash suit works. Its essentially one big red onesie but the yellow accents make it work without it having ever needed a pair of yellow trunks.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Only to some segment of fans. In all his trunks-less looks I never once thought it was too much blue. Probably most readers didn't. But the trunks fans will always use it as their argument.
    Your tone comes off a bit disrespectful.

Your tone comes off a bit disrespectful.
    I don't mean for it to. Can you tell me how so?

It would still be underwear over leggings, why would color matter?
    see below
    .... it was a leading up to question i was going for the blend in attached look via last sons example

thanks last son that was exactly where i was going

The too much blue;
    That's an argument that is base on an overall design look.

Unlike the anti-trunk fall back crutch - that they are "underwear" (which they aren't) and /or "outdated" (when the entire costume comes from the same time period) - in truth, "outdated" is just a replacement word - as it just high-lights the one section of the - body and costume - that some find offesnsive in some manner because it reminds them of the whole underwear misconception to begin with!

Just like land real estate it is - LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION - couch it, any way you like but the needle alway comes back to this and the location here is just a problem for some.