Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Because the version hailed as the "iconic" isn't the only which exists, and that one of the many versions happens to be the one which managed to make this character not only sufferable, but loveable to me. The version from 2011 up to 2016, if it helps you... And because I also take aimes at the idea that Superman is iconic, because I find that if the Reborn story is indicative of what it entails for the rest of the DCU, it's a very bad thing to have him hailed as its core.

So, yeah, the so-called "iconic" version, despite hat its fans may proclaim is just that : so-called.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Because the version hailed as the "iconic" isn't the only which exists, and that one of the many versions happens to be the one which managed to make this character not only sufferable, but loveable to me. The version from 2011 up to 2016, if it helps you... And because I also take aimes at the idea that Superman is iconic, because I find that if the Reborn story is indicative of what it entails for the rest of the DCU, it's a very bad thing to have him hailed as its core.

So, yeah, the so-called "iconic" version, despite hat its fans may proclaim is just that : so-called.
    The trunks have been part of the main continuity, serials, TV, and films costume for 73 years with only that brief time 98 with the Electric Blue and Red Costumes being a break until the 6 years of New 52/Rebirth/Reborn. You can't compare 6 years to 73 the trunks aren't the "so-called Iconic look" they are the iconic look and no trunks is the 21st century version of the mullet.

I didn't think anyone was really talking about any particular version of Superman, just a piece of his costume. You associated Superman in trunks with "so-called iconic", and Superman had the trunks for over 70 years so that kind of implies that you take issue with any pre-New 52 version of Superman being considered iconic.

As for your point about how Batman's color scheme and "texture" making his trunks more acceptable while Superman's texture somehow resembles underwear and being bright red makes them corny, I just don't buy it. In the comics, there's very little information to tell us exactly what fabric comprises superhero suits other than metal or cloth. Just going off the art, Batman's and Superman's classic suits could both easily be made of the same fabric.
    Last edited by Last Son; 07-09-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Not taking into account the fact that Batman's underwear are pretty easy to not notice in the games (and comics) compared to Superman's very bright red and "in your face" underwears is what is hypocritical. It took me hours to even notice the Batman's underwear in the games, because they aren't able to draw the player's attention. Neither their color nor their texture are comparable to Superman's really outdated and corny undies are. Their very texture is underwear-like, no matter how much defenders of the so-alled "iconic" Superman tries to spin it.
    Not buyin' it, sorry. The front cover of the first game shows them plain as day. The grey's not that dark. If you didn't notice them, then ok - but it doesn't change that all this "hand-wringing" that people are doing is fixing a problem that wasn't there to any tangible extent to begin with.

Superman's colors are more "in your face." All of them. And that does play a role, sure. But it's still hypocrisy. And that's just one example - I have others (like DC candies I saw in Chicago, where they use New52 Superman and Wonder Woman, but the 90's Garcia-Lopez blue and grey Batman with the trunks...wtf were they thinking? Can't miss those colors!). Take also that the sales had a jump at first (as did Rebirth) but in the end didn't make much difference, and it's a non-issue.

And "their very texture is underwear-like"? If that's the case, let's just let him run around naked, because the whole suit's made of that.

So you just don't get the regular version of the character. That's fine. There are characters I don't like, either. And if you like the New52 version, that's great. Looks like you'll see him soon for at least an issue or two of another book, and I'm happy for you. But regardless of how you feel about Superman in general, he'll always be the center of the DCU. He's iconic because, most likely, he's the reason you have whatever other characters you prefer. He's certainly the reason DC has a viable business now. And thankfully, as much as they'd taken a "the character is the problem" stance for a while there, they've at least remembered that by keeping him the core (regardless of the version).
    Last edited by JAK; 07-09-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    I feel like his Reborn suit was DC finally figuring out how to make a trunksless Superman suit work. That said, how do you guys feel about Henry Cavills suit?
    Henry's suit was fine, I guess. It makes for a cool visual, but, in my opinion, doesn't necessarily match the grandeur and majesty we, as fans, normally associate with Superman. It makes Superman look too much like a Kryptonian patriot. If a new Superman movie is ever confirmed, Superman should move away from this suit and wear something closer to the Reborn suit or the Action Comics #1000 suit. It would like a natural progression for Superman and make the statement that he is at peace with Krypton's passing and has truly accepted his role as Earth's protector. The colors should be brighter, the cape should be a bit shorter and the belt section should be more noticeable.

I've always tried to maintain the idea that the red trunks are just a minor aspect of Superman's outfit and that Superman is Superman no matter what. But seeing Superman wearing the red trunks in Action Comics #1000 somehow felt… right. He felt complete. Don't get me wrong, I loved both Rebirth suits but there is something timeless about the red trunks. I wasn't expecting DC Comics to bring back the trunks but it's something I definitely appreciated.

Someone did a mockup of Cavill in the Reborn suit and he looked pretty damn good. I think his suit is fine as it is, but switching to the Reborn suit would be a-ok in my book.

Retired

I think they should have gone with the jeans and T-shirt look for the first movie and the Batman battle (but no cape). Then in JUSTICE LEAGUE or whenever they planned for him to be reborn, he would be in the black regeneration suit. And at the end of JL, his black suit would brighten with new life energy and he would gain his red cape for the first time. Also his power levels and those of the PZ villains would be relatively low. But the effect of his rebirth would be to amplify his power set and he would be exponentially more powerful.

I’d love to see the t-shirt and jeans look in any outside media. It’s the perfect “Year One” look for Clark, shows that he’s a man of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    I’d love to see the t-shirt and jeans look in any outside media. It’s the perfect “Year One” look for Clark, shows that he’s a man of the people.
    I'd kind of like to see the jeans and shirt look, but with the original S symbol from his first comic appearance back in the 30s, kind of as a nod, but he gains the more traditional S when he dons the traditional costume (minus the trunks).

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'd kind of like to see the jeans and shirt look, but with the original S symbol from his first comic appearance back in the 30s, kind of as a nod, but he gains the more traditional S when he dons the traditional costume (minus the trunks).
    I’ve thought that exact same idea would be great. Maybe Martha tries to recreate the symbol from memory and that’s how the first S-shield is created.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    Well I can only speak for myself, but the trunks seem dated to me. And I don't see what this whole argument of "needing the red trunks to break up the blue"is about. I mean both of the present Flashes suits are red and no one is complaining about any color separation. I guess it's a pointless argument really. Classic Superman fans seem to be getting what they want at the end of the day.
    Superman also then seems dated to you. The red shorts are a design element. In the world, men where them to hold their jocks in place. Without them, superman looks neutered. Aside from that, it is a great red accent to the costume.

Anytime I read that someone thinks something is dated, I think that person is probably too young to know what that would mean. A corset might be dated. Superman's outfit is very modern and timeless. It make him look human.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    Superman also then seems dated to you. The red shorts are a design element. In the world, men where them to hold their jocks in place. Without them, superman looks neutered. Aside from that, it is a great red accent to the costume.
    Kind of harsh. Design elements become dated, it's why I don't wear ascots and polyester shirts and bellbottoms. Just because you think an outfit is outdated doesn't mean you believe that the person wearing it is outdated.

And the neutered thing depends on the artist and how they adapt to replace the trunks.

]Anytime I read that someone thinks something is dated, I think that person is probably too young to know what that would mean. A corset might be dated. Superman's outfit is very modern and timeless. It make him look human.
    No, it isn't indicative of age, and no fashion is "timeless" (only stories and the human experience is timeless). It only means that they hold a different opinion than you. In both works of fiction and fashion different opinions will always abound. It's part of why these things remain relevant, no conflicting opinions no discussion less interest.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post

Anytime I read that someone thinks something is dated, I think that person is probably too young to know what that would mean. A corset might be dated. Superman's outfit is very modern and timeless. It make him look human.
    I am fine with people liking what they like but to say superman outfit is "timeless and modern" that is pretty funny in context of the trunks. Almost every hero at DC(and a large amount elsewhere) had trunks in the beginning and they all disappeared except for the recent rebirth with Batman and Superman. Not even the Superman analogues wear trunks Mr Majestic, Sentry, Prime , Icon, Blue Marvel, Apollo, All Might etc. You can't call it timeless when literally the industry phased it out and the characters meant to attract the superman base don't use that part of the look. Superman trunks is definitely dated but as long as his fans don't care it does not matter. Superman general design is timeless but the trunks nope not even Superboy carried it on. The only time you see trunks in the genre is when heroes or stories trying to point back to golden age comics like a Incredibles, You see Trunks ,Domino Mask and Capes we know they are calling back on past.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am fine with people liking what they like but to say superman outfit is "timeless and modern" that is pretty funny in context of the trunks.
    But it is also true. The design is very modern, and Superman will outlast the Sentry. It is your idea of modern that is the fault here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am fine with people liking what they like but to say superman outfit is "timeless and modern" that is pretty funny in context of the trunks.
    But it is also true. The design is very modern, and Superman will outlast the Sentry. It is your idea of modern that is the fault here. And FWIW, trunks aren't fazed out, they never existed at all for the Flash, GL, Dr Midnite, or Captain America, for that matter. - or maybe Cap did have trucks.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 08-13-2018 at 07:18 PM.