View Poll Results: How bad will the fallout from BATMAN #50 be?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zero - no effect, good or bad, whatsoever

9 5.03%
  • Minor - just the fans will complain

30 16.76%
  • Medium - fans and retailers will complain

72 40.22%
  • Major - fans, retailers, and pros/media complain

50 27.93%
  • Mega - someone(s) is losing their job(s) over this

18 10.06%
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

50 will be my last issue of Batman. I love Tom King's work, but this is so infuriating lol. They build all this up for a Charlie Brown missing the football moment. I'm done with this run if the spoilers are all true which is a shame, because I really loved this run until now. This reminds me of the old TV Show Lois & Clark: Adventures of Superman show where they had a wedding fake out and people were pissed.

Spectacular Member

I'm very dissapointed that they will not be married in this issue, but the majority of my current dissapointment goes directly to DC marketing. All the hype. All the covers, the beautiful covers. The previeved interior art. The tie-ins for the Batfamily. The "wedding album" that is to be coming out. All the comic book stores doing events to celebrate the milestone... It really is a crappy thing to do to their fan base. I am eager to read the issue when it comes out Wednesday, as well as Catwoman, but the hype machine around the issue has really soured it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    This article misses the whole point. The problem wasn't that the story got spoiled. It was that fans hated where the story is going.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-wrong-...woman-wedding/
    Even if that is true, and it definitely isnt as the sales certainly dont reflect that at all.
    DC is not usually the type of company that pulls the plug at the 11th hour when fans voice their opinion. say what you will about the New 52 but DC at least stuck with it until it couldnt milk it anymore.
    the idea that fans hated the idea of a married Batman and that killed the story is pure fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Zudomon View Post
    50 will be my last issue of Batman. I love Tom King's work, but this is so infuriating lol. They build all this up for a Charlie Brown missing the football moment. I'm done with this run if the spoilers are all true which is a shame, because I really loved this run until now. This reminds me of the old TV Show Lois & Clark: Adventures of Superman show where they had a wedding fake out and people were pissed.
    I was thinking this exact thing

When I was reading The war of Jokes and Riddles I kept thinking "what is the point of this?"
    because the idea is basically that Batman proposes, then he realises that he needs to confess this story to her to get a definitive answer but by proposing first Catwoman must have made a choice already, which means that Batman's Joker & Riddler story will either:
    A: Change her mind (whatever that is)
    or
    B: Do nothing

and as I was reading, even by the end I saw absolutely nothing that would make Catwoman change a "yes" to a "no" or a "no" to a "yes".
    So she was always going to say yes.
    why?
    because if she said no then THE ENTIRE F*CKING ARC WAS A F*CKING WASTE OF TIME!!

This is exactly that but on a much bigger scale
    the whole build up of the story is absurd to end like this
    there is an entire issue of Batman on which Catwoman picks her wedding dress
    King went to Seth Meyer to promote the book.
    The closest thing that I compare this to is when Superman died and even then at least people had stories with Superman Dead.

whatever you like the book or not, or like the idea of the wedding or not I think 1 single thing that every single comic fan hates beyond all reasons beyond all excuses is this little idea that somehow we have wasted time following an story arc.
    And I think thats were most of the recentment is coming from.

BANNED

I meant that fans hated the fakeout.

The Bat/Cat relationship was what had me reading this book and I was interested in th Cat solo. Not anymore. Hard pass to this bait and switch.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'd say the variant carpet bombing and tie-in event is what made fans the angriest. Weddings that don't pan out aren't new in comics. That and the spoilers being IN THE ARTICLE TITLE, thus spoiling everyone regardless if they wanted them or not. Spoilers going out early isn't a big deal, one can normally avoid those. I caught them in my news feed when I woke up for work. Not how I wanted to spend my morning. Remember Dick and Kori in New Teen Titans, for example? But when they're marketing it this aggressively only to not follow through, yes, that stinks of greed. DC milked the fans of the idea pretty hard and it sucks. Even if they seal the deal later, it sucked to be done that way.

Batman is still their most lucrative character following this, that won't change, but I think a lot of good will the King run has garnered will be severely tested. The sales will likely return to their pre-wedding numbers, if not a bit lower.

Fantastic Member

I can understand it go for it if you are marketing it that way. I am and still apposed to bat/cat on principle but the marketing scam was wrong they should at least give people a refund exchange titles or a free book at least. Or fire the marketing department for their deception but that would not help the fall out because of this. Though the good thing for me bat/cat would not really happen in the end

BANNED

I was intrigued by the idea of this iconic comics couple marrying after a zillion years, even though I knew it'd never last--if it happened at all. Very definitely Lucy pulling Charlie's football away. I guess we're back to the abusive Bat-God who treats his family like crap.

I got it now, sorry

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    I got it now, sorry
    However, I think DC should never have done this in the first place, and backing out was probably better than going forward.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

It's not the fakeout that's the issue for me it's the blatant false advertising. DC ALREADY knew what King's story entailed yet their PR machine chose to go ahead and act like the wedding was happening anyway. They didn't act as if there was any doubt of it happening and now they are trying to cover their asses with this nonsense about dropping clues in those very advertisements. Sorry but that's just BS. There wouldn't be an issue at all if they had simply added a note of doubt into all the PR for this. They might have had disappointed fans but not the sh#t storm they have now.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 07-02-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

DC probably thinks bad publicity is better than no publicity at all.

King will have a hell of a job to sell me on the idea that Claire Clover (Gotham-Girl) working with Hugo Strange and Psycho Pirate, the two men responsible for driving her brother to madness, the death of their parents and her having to kill her sibling to save Gotham. And that's discounting how Flashpoint Batman can even be there in the first place. It's a twist for the twist sake, and I'm really afraid for the future of the Batman title because of it.

BANNED

The problem is that King had nothing to show during his entire second year on Batman. All he did was consistently write filler arcs and not even good filler. Travelers, the Ivy arc, the Wonder Woman arc they were legit terrible. His only big story during that period was also terrible. Then he devoted an entire issue to copying things other creators wrote while his own contribution amounted to panty shots of Selina. There was no virtually no story being told. DC wanted their flagship book to actually look like it, thats why they promoted the heck out of the wedding because what else could they do? King gave them nothing else to support and market. DC is far from blameless but the real problem is that King's work was not befitting DC's biggest book. Sorry but thats what it is. His dialogue was terrible, he told far more than he showed, there was virtually no story, he wrote filler, he dragged the non existant marriage to 50( Just why again?), his Batman stories were barely Batman stories as there was hardly any crime fighting, hardly any appearence from Batman's own established supporting characters, hardly any action and certainly no memorable action. Even now the last page twist that he dropped should have been set up. King should have placed his pieces carefully leading up to that twist. He chose to do none of that. He wasted time plain and simple and thats me ignoring 50. Even if the marriage had taken place the last several issues would still have been a waste of time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    King will have a hell of a job to sell me on the idea that Claire Clover (Gotham-Girl) working with Hugo Strange and Psycho Pirate, the two men responsible for driving her brother to madness, the death of their parents and her having to kill her sibling to save Gotham. And that's discounting how Flashpoint Batman can even be there in the first place. It's a twist for the twist sake, and I'm really afraid for the future of the Batman title because of it.
    She's a non entity as a character, her brother was the focus of the first arc while she spent the rest of the first year on a bed then she vanished for the entirety of year two. She's a blank slate character and thus King can do whatever he wants.

Just one example, it will turn out that Hank never had a sister. Claire was simply planted on him by the villains all along.