Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do you feel about Jason has a character?

For me it’s a good idea to had a male character but the way they have written Jason is lazy and terrible. I honestly would have liked if they fixed Donna and Cassie’s relationship with Diana first then have Jason reveal as her brother. Not only that but it seems he will be another lazy throw away character. I would have liked if he wasn’t her brother in a blood sense if they are just going to write him like this. I mean he gets more pages than Diana

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

It was an interesting but one that was badly mishandled. If Geoff Johns was handling Jason it would probably be better since Jason is his creation Robinson was definitely out of his depth in so many ways. Then there was the Scott Snyder stuff to contend with he really just didn't do a good job. I'm more of a blame the writer than blame the character.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I really dislike this character, probably more than can be put into words.

I am not averse to a male character in the Wonder family. Jason, however, is just poorly done from start to finish.

1. Either the Amazons are isolated or they aren't. That somehow Hippolyta has a pen pal and a secret portal through which an infant can be passed just makes no sense in the context of the Amazons.
    2. Follow-up - if you accept that she has a pen pal, then to find out it's a man is just ridiculous for a culture that doesn't trust them.
    3. More follow-up - And that she trusts him enough to give him her newborn son.
    4. Normal childhood in a fishing village where he is visited by his brother Hercules, who never visits his sister but leaves her all of his worldly belongings?
    5. Despite normal, apparently happy childhood with powers that rival Diana (super strong + flight) and training by a demi-god, he grows to hate a sister he never met, so much so that he's willing to be a party to her murder...
    6. And to the murder of the brother who cared enough about him to visit and train him.
    7. He completely dominated the book and showed up the hero, completely replacing her in two issues.
    8. Hopefully this will be fixed/resolved in the last issue, but he is given armor intended for his sister (who has been around for a decade and never called by the gods to get it) but handed to him because he has dangly bits.
    9. The most insulting part of the entire mess in my opinion? That armor gives him powers Diana had had throughout history, and the writer rubs our noses in it repeatedly. Wisdom of Athena? Check. Speed of Hermes? Check. Tells Diana he's faster than her. Diana tells him to use all his wonderful god-given powers and skills while she just punches the bad guy in the face. Once upon a time, Diana had skills and options, but this just highlighted how she doesn't have/use them any more while The Man in the Book can do all she used to be able to do and more!
    10. He has the personality of a dish rag making stupid decisions despite the aforementioned Wisdom of Athena.

That's my Top Ten for you

I didn't outright hate the concept (as is usual for me with creative concepts) at the outset, but his execution and personality have been lackluster. In action, he's a dud.

I'm just not excited by him or his story. I'm all for including more Wonder sidekicks and associates for Diana, but DC is doing a horrible job of it in Rebirth. Steve is around and that's good, but we've only had one issue in many where he and Diana connect about their relationship, so his characterization has been stalled. Donna has a horrible Rebirth origin and has no interaction with Diana that's positive. Cassie is MIA in Rebirth. Etta hasn't been around in many, many issues. Hippolyta is off the table and trapped on the island because of a MacGuffin.

I have a Re-Re-Birth origin for Jason that I'd use if I got to revamp continuity, but it'd require lots of changes to Wonder continuity.

Anyway, I hope we get a writer at some point that can redeem Jason and make him compelling instead of the Scrappy Doo of the Wonder mythos. I'd like that writer to also be skilled enough and creative enough to characterize all the Wonder Women, while weaving in Jason, Achilles Warkiller, Steve Trevor and other ARGUS agents, Captain Wonder, and Heracles into Diana's stories.

We deserve that much.

Incredible Member

To be honest, I stopped buying and reading the Wonder Woman comics since before he even appeared. So, my opinion is relatively uninformed.

But, I really dislike the character. I'm not opposed to a male Wonder Boy / Captain Wonder / Wonder Something Else being introduced and developed as part of Diana's Wonder Family. I think it's a shame that Diana's Wonder Family has never really gotten the same attention as the Bat Family or Supes Family.

However, introducing Jason as a long-lost secret twin brother, with ALL the powers of Wonder Woman and so many more, with magical armour and with bizarre and poorly developed character motivations is not how I want to see it done. I'm also STRONGLY in favour of re-establishing the core Wonder Family of Diana, Donna and Cassie before introducing any other superheroes to Diana's cast of characters.

At least he was good looking, although his costume really should have been the male equivalent of Diana's costume (i.e. reveal plenty of skin to amplify the beefcake factor) to try to compensate for all of the negative aspects of his character, which was pretty much everything other than his good looks.

I think Jason is bland and pointless. I guess the character COULD'VE worked if executed properly but he hasn't. Doesn't really offer any new, exciting angle. Jason is just The Olympian 2.0.

I think conceptually he was entirely intriguing and worth wading into and established as a supporting character in Wonder Woman's world, especially the idea of him being Diana's brother. Some hated that fact the most, on the other hand to me it was the most interesting part about him. Sadly I also think its been mishandled at virtually every turn that no one will probably try to fix it and he'll just be erased and/or forgotten.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I think Jason is bland and pointless. I guess the character COULD'VE worked if executed properly but he hasn't. Doesn't really offer any new, exciting angle. Jason is just The Olympian 2.0.
    Yeah, it was an extremely iffy idea to begin with, but the execution could have made it interesting, or at least bearable. Some people were freaking out about it even before we saw the printed pages, which I still think is pretty ridiculous. But they executed it in the worst way possible. Jason has been shoved down our throats, and the story is not told well enough and his personality isn't developed or interesting enough to be worth it. If he gets killed off or just is quietly ignored, I can't say I'd miss him. I can't imagine that DC is stupid enough to think Jason is a success that needs to be double down on. They can expand the mythos by actually utilizing the extended family and siblings she already has. Grail killed off Hercules and Perseus, who would be vastly more interesting characters to explore in a modern setting, and of course Donna should have been fixed by now and Cassie needs to be re-introduced.

I think if Johns had written this himself, it would have been at least a little better. how much, I'm not so sure but I doubt it would have been as abysmal as Robinson's run was.

Long lost twin siblings never interest me. It’s why I don’t really want Nubia to be Diana’s twin either. Putting that aside Jason is still a bore. Boring origin, no personality, and no real character motivations or goals to speak of.

Nubia at least was a character we liked and cared for. I would have actually liked Jason to have bonded with Diana. The man who raised Jason is the one who got him to want to be a superhero and liked Diana. But I don't understand if he trained Jason why does Jason suck?

I feel that hes pretty much a let down given his background and his being a brother to Diana. Honestly if we found out he was a sibling of Cassies and he stuck to the whole 'party dude sailor' angle he would have been fair enough.

As it is though, its like their simultaneously playing to Geoff Johns love of evil brother figures for the protagonist by having him constantly switch sides, while also trying to make him more powerful than Wonder Woman. He was fine with the water and water vapor transformations. No need to keep piling on new stuff like a magic spear and magic armor and such.

Spectacular Member

Couldn't care less about him. If he disappeared from comics all together I'd be fine with it.

I think Jason is like a house guest, who has become much too comfortable with you, in too short a time. It's like ..he's walking around naked in front of your friends or your neighbors. He doesn't use the air freshener in the bathroom, when he should. He's sharing things about himself that you don't need or want to know. He's staying too long.

Instead, I had hoped he would be much, much more enigmatic - the Racer X to Diana's Speed Racer. That would have required giving Jason significantly less panel-time, and I'm not sure James understood that, when he was making him the narrative centerpiece of the WW comic.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    For me it’s a good idea to had a male character but the way they have written Jason is lazy and terrible. I honestly would have liked if they fixed Donna and Cassie’s relationship with Diana first then have Jason reveal as her brother. Not only that but it seems he will be another lazy throw away character. I would have liked if he wasn’t her brother in a blood sense if they are just going to write him like this. I mean he gets more pages than Diana
    I've probably mentioned this before, but Jason is a small part of a larger problem in the Wonder Woman books in where nearly every damn writer feels the need to go back to her origin and tinker with it some more. Jason is just another ill-conceived addition to an already complicated origin (Zeus daddy/not the daddy, clay birth/natural birth, hidden pregnancies, magic trees...etc).

It's obvious everyone has a strong opinion on which origin it should be, but DC needs to pick one, stick to it and MOVE ON to stories set in the present.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I think Jason is like a house guest, who has become much too comfortable with you, in too short a time. It's like ..he's walking around naked in front of your friends or your neighbors. He doesn't use the air freshener in the bathroom, when he should. He's sharing things about himself that you don't need or want to know. He's staying too long.

Instead, I had hoped he would be much, much more enigmatic - the Racer X to Diana's Speed Racer. That would have required giving Jason significantly less panel-time, and I'm not sure James understood that, when he was making him the narrative centerpiece of the WW comic.
    The Greeks didn't have as much of a nudity taboo. Unless it's a family figure or love interest superhero characters don't have much in the way of modesty. I can see how Jason would be in breach of xenia (ancient Greek system of hospitality, key to Homer's Odyssey), since he's all take and very little give in how he's involved in the story. A solicit for a recent issue even lampshaded how he's yet to win a fight! Waiting for nearly two years after he was teased in Rebirth #1 probably didn't help, since any hype from that had died down.

At least the early Wonder Woman Rebirth storylines weren't saddled with Jason the way Tom King's Batman was struggling to do anything interesting with Duke Thomas before Scott Synder finally used him in Metal.