Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    The Greeks didn't have as much of a nudity taboo. Unless it's a family figure or love interest superhero characters don't have much in the way of modesty. I can see how Jason would be in breach of xenia (ancient Greek system of hospitality, key to Homer's Odyssey), since he's all take and very little give in how he's involved in the story. A solicit for a recent issue even lampshaded how he's yet to win a fight! Waiting for nearly two years after he was teased in Rebirth #1 probably didn't help, since any hype from that had died down...
    I meant it another way. With Jason, he has been a villain, a bad roommate, a superhero-in-training, an associate of the Justice League; now, he's a bad guy, again. Like the naked house guest poking around in your fridge at 5:30 am in the morning, ..I've just seen way too much of him, in too short a time to endear myself to him, as a recurring character.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    I've probably mentioned this before, but Jason is a small part of a larger problem in the Wonder Woman books in where nearly every damn writer feels the need to go back to her origin and tinker with it some more. Jason is just another ill-conceived addition to an already complicated origin (Zeus daddy/not the daddy, clay birth/natural birth, hidden pregnancies, magic trees...etc)...
    I'm sick of tinkering with and adding things to Diana's origin. I think one of the Perez era writers made Diana a clay reincarnation of...PANDORA? When I read that, I wanted to pick up my head and throw it at someone. Too much...

As for adding a male Wonder to the mythos, and particularly, a blood relation to the Themiscyran royal family, ..Jason has soured me on the idea, somewhat. The Superman comic has successfully adopted the Guardian, as a proxy cousin; Orion, Nemesis or a similarly established male character could fulfill the same sole in the WW comic. Such a character would already be fairly well-known, have his own established personality and backstory, and been commercially successful, at some earlier time, ..making him a little harder for WW writers to mess up and kill off. Perhaps, if he was a Sensations Comics hero, like Sargon the Sorcerer or Mister Terrific...

Editors might be inclined to keep him around.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Lennox and his siblings from Azzarello's run were a more interesting take on the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Lennox and his siblings from Azzarello's run were a more interesting take on the concept.
    It took a while, but Lennox eventually grew on me. I might have even grown to give a sh?t about Cassie with him as her dad. I really liked Cassandra, Siracca and Milan and the seemingly random powers they inherited as a result of being Zeus's children. None of them were shoehorned into starring in the book in Diana's place.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I HATED Lennox when the run was first coming out. On the re-reads, and especially after having experienced Jason, I sort of regret being as harsh on him and the other new siblings as I was. I'd take them over Jason any day of the week.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Nubia at least was a character we liked and cared for. I would have actually liked Jason to have bonded with Diana. The man who raised Jason is the one who got him to want to be a superhero and liked Diana. But I don't understand if he trained Jason why does Jason suck?
    Not there when it happened, but I wonder if fan reaction (at that time) to Nubia was positive. Or is it mostly history and nostalgia that's given her a softer glow.

That said, Jason's very meh to me. As others noted, I wish the execution of his introduction and storyline was better. At this point, I'd much rather have Hunter Prince come back and be the male protege/sidekick to Diana.

I've been re-reading Young Avengers and appreciating how well Wiccan has been developed and his unabashed connection to Scarlet Witch. It's a shame that DC can't seem to do that properly for Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    For me it’s a good idea to had a male character but the way they have written Jason is lazy and terrible. I honestly would have liked if they fixed Donna and Cassie’s relationship with Diana first then have Jason reveal as her brother. Not only that but it seems he will be another lazy throw away character. I would have liked if he wasn’t her brother in a blood sense if they are just going to write him like this. I mean he gets more pages than Diana
    I don't like him.

He feels forced into the story, I find nothing endearing about his character, and calling his spear Polly is just flat out ridiculous.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I don't like him.

He feels forced into the story, I find nothing endearing about his character, and calling his spear Polly is just flat out ridiculous.
    Agree 100%. Additionally, I feel that Azz added male characters to the detriment of Diana. It was almost like she couldn't win major battles without the help of male counterparts. Jason feels like another male character in this same vein. For example, the battle with Grail and Darkseid. Diana needed Jason's help. This idea that she needs a man's help to defeat her foes just goes against everything I feel that character was created for in the first place. Jason should have remained a forgotten plot point and everyone just move on.

Thinking again... Jason and Grail stories might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    Not there when it happened, but I wonder if fan reaction (at that time) to Nubia was positive. Or is it mostly history and nostalgia that's given her a softer glow.

That said, Jason's very meh to me. As others noted, I wish the execution of his introduction and storyline was better. At this point, I'd much rather have Hunter Prince come back and be the male protege/sidekick to Diana.

I've been re-reading Young Avengers and appreciating how well Wiccan has been developed and his unabashed connection to Scarlet Witch. It's a shame that DC can't seem to do that properly for Wonder Woman.
    From the people, I have talked to yes. Most of the fans who read it did like Nubia more.

Fantastic Member

Should have been Hypolita's issue not Diana's from the start

Hmm... a romance story between Grail and Jason... the more I think about it the more I want to see them do it.

Well he's gone now, and I'm not sorry to see him go. Johns should have dealt with Jason himself, like he's doing the Three Jokers because Robinson did not do a good job with him. I doubt anyone will ever bring him back.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Well he's gone now, and I'm not sorry to see him go. Johns should have dealt with Jason himself, like he's doing the Three Jokers because Robinson did not do a good job with him. I doubt anyone will ever bring him back.
    We will see.

I've been waiting over a 15 years for someone to do SOMETHING with Devastation, but I'd happily wait twice as long before I had to read about Jason again.

It's kind of ironic that he calls his spear "Polly" because what he is in the end is a polymath. A character whose abilities span a vast number of areas. Though these days we usually call characters like him in stories by a different name.

Mary Sue.
    Last edited by brettc1; 07-13-2018 at 10:27 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

I hate him. I can't think of a single thing I like about him. A really bad idea, executed really poorly.

But, maybe he has a power for that, too?

Edit:
    If she has to have a brother, Azzarello did it better. If she has to have a male Wonder, Simone did it better. And/or, she can simply meet and pal around with all sorts of demi-gods and such.
    Last edited by Awonder; 07-13-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Should Jason be given a good way out? That he dies a hero's death?