Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    In my opinion, no.

This felt like a story that could've been told with ANY superhero character ("Someone is impersonating me and ruining my name") — there was nothing about this book, at least from issue 1, that was distinctively Selina Kyle, other than her visual trappings.

I can't believe I'm saying this, because I really didn't expect it, but this book felt GENERIC.

I hate that that's the case.

That's weird, I totally liked it. I'm here for the duration.

BANNED

I liked it... Looks like I'm a tentatively adding a Bat book to my pull. It's been a while.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I thought it was fine - I was worried it'd be thin and flimsy, but it's thick and heavy. I didn't get a chance to see if the ink ran on fingers - since I was flipping through it in the store, I didn't want to damage any copies - but that's a big worry for me. The other being how will the color last - my comics on matte newsprint paper from the early/mid 2000s have faded quite a bit.
    I'm glad to hear this. I actually think matte paper would be a nice improvement over the very flimsy stock of most Marvel and DC comics right now. I haven't had a chance to get this issue yet but I was wondering how it would turn out.

Was the issue 20 pages? Apparently with the matte paper, DC now plans to (rightly) have their $4 comics at 22-24 pages. I'm not sure if they've implemented that yet, though.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's weird, I totally liked it. I'm here for the duration.
    All 6 or 12 months of it

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    All 6 or 12 months of it
    Whatever, I read a lot of female lead titles so I'm used to short runs. At least this one will have awesome Joëlle Jones art and writing, so it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    This felt like a story that could've been told with ANY superhero character ("Someone is impersonating me and ruining my name") — there was nothing about this book, at least from issue 1, that was distinctively Selina Kyle, other than her visual trappings.

I can't believe I'm saying this, because I really didn't expect it, but this book felt GENERIC.

I hate that that's the case.
    There are only a limited number of basic plots, so some rehashing is to be expected. What made it feel like a Catwoman book is partly the circumstances she is right now (due to plot reasons in other books), but more so her reaction to it.

Granted, the dozen of Catwomen impersonators felt a little silly, once one sat down to consider it, but it had a fun effect once one hit the frame.

(There is also the issue of the "jaded critic", as Lois Bujold called it. Once you hit a certain point in your reading, new and original plots and stories become rather scarce, so depending on that to find enjoyment in fiction becomes rather tricky.)

All 6 or 12 months of it
    This makes me angry.

Buzz off

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    All 6 or 12 months of it
    This makes me angry.

Buzz off
    I think your response is coming off as quite rude.

Unfortunately, Miles To Go may be correct in his response of "6 to 12 months", even when talking about a Catwoman series. Do we have any idea of how many issues Joëlle Jones is contractually committed to for this series? And while Selina may have a better longevity record when it comes to keeping a series going compared to some other female-lead books, we still don't know if/how much backlash this run may receive from what happened with Batman #50.

While I hope for the best, only time will tell if the fans and if DC itself will give this book more than a half-dozen or so issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Unfortunately, Miles To Go may be correct in his response of "6 to 12 months", even when talking about a Catwoman series. Do we have any idea of how many issues Joëlle Jones is contractually committed to for this series? And while Selina may have a better longevity record when it comes to keeping a series going compared to some other female-lead books, we still don't know if/how much backlash this run may receive from what happened with Batman #50.
    Also, I'd say that it's much more likely that any backlash against DC will hit Catwoman rather than the estabalished Batman titles. Whether or not DC intended to do so, they've managed to set up Joëlle Jones and the title for failure just as it launched.

Good set up issue and I like seeing glam Selina back in action. I'm slightly weary of copycat Catwoman stories from stories past, but the last page gave it a new wrinkle, so that's good.

Still, I hope to see Selina develop some intrigues and adventures with other costumed foes. I don't need to see Black Mask again, but I wouldn't mind a revitalized Hellhound or Slyfox from way back in her first series.

I'm also curious if, how, and when the ending of Batman #50 might come into play in the title. Hopefully King and Jones are working closely on how that'll eventually play out.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    . . . I'm also curious if, how, and when the ending of Batman #50 might come into play in the title. Hopefully King and Jones are working closely on how that'll eventually play out.
    And I'm hoping King stays as far away from this book as possible!

He's already created enough possible problems for it because of Batman #50!

Fantastic Member

less of king involved with batman or related characters the better unless he likes them

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense man View Post
    less of king involved with batman or related characters the better unless he likes them
    And even then . . . the less of Tom King involved, the better!

I liked the first issue so far. I will be buying the 2nd issue for sure. And based on where things go from there, I will possibly get the 3rd and the 4th and so on.

As far as Joelle's set up, well I did like the initial copy cat. But I will have to see how she handles the "gang" of copy cats that Selina ran into.

I also liked the part when they showed her reaction to her decision regarding Bruce. I liked how they showed the note from Alfred with her things. I actually would like to see Alfred in the first few issues as well.

And of course, the art was good.

We shall see what Joelle does with this series. I'm excited to see where she takes Selina and this time, the revamp of the series feels fresh and modern, unlike what happened with Catwoman & her N52 series.

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    . . . I'm excited to see where she takes Selina and this time, the revamp of the series feels fresh and modern, unlike what happened with Catwoman & her N52 series.
    To me, it's hard to imagine a "fresher" approach to Selina than what Genevieve Valentine gave us in New 52's Catwoman #35-46.