Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well did a new status quo have to mean she was married?
    Isn't a "woman-who-ditched-her-husband-to-be-on-their-wedding-day" (which I'm only assuming since I haven't yet bought and read Catwoman #1 / didn't necessarily plan to buy Batman #50) a new status quo for Selina?
    no its pretty typical, I do what i want
    but to hurt bruce like that, leaves a bad taste

Pretty good, pretty good. Great art.

This was... fine? I guess?

It did make me realize I'm not as down with Jones's art as a lot of people are.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

The only good thing going for the first issue was the art, well and that savage Alfred burn. Everything else was about as generic as you can get for a super hero comic book.

I feel like we read a different book?

This was frankly awesome, yeah the art carried it, but Jones introduces a creepy cool villain, with an intriguing background, .

I like how Governor Creel doesn’t say anything!

And the page with the Copycats was bonkers.

Jones references the non wedding in 5 panels. Perfection

I didn’t catch where Selina was?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Holy crap, I didn't know Laura Allred was doing the colors on this. This book is absolutely gorgeous.

Jones and Allred together are just stellar.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    I feel like we read a different book?..
    I suppose it is because I've never really been that big a fan of Catwoman. I've always found the character rather bland in her solo adventures. The only hook for me here was that she would be Mrs. Batman and all the extra possibilities such a development entails. Now that has been removed from the equation I'm cold for this book. Perhaps I am holding the series to an impossible standard.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-04-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    but Jones introduces a creepy cool villain, with an intriguing background
    Uh... what background?

I didn’t catch where Selina was?
    Mexico.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I suppose it is because I've never really been that big a fan of Catwoman. I've always found the character rather bland in her solo adventures. The only hook for me here was that she would be Mrs. Batman and all the extra possibilities such a development entails. Now that has been removed from the equation I'm cold for this book. Perhaps I am holding the series to an impossible standard.
    Precisely, take away the impact of the non-event and this book is nothing...oh, and the Alfred burn was distasteful and OOC also.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Precisely, take away the impact of the non-event and this book is nothing...oh, and the Alfred burn was distasteful and OOC also.
    I don't know about OOC. Alfred is loyal to a fault. Plus he sees Bruce in many ways as his "son".
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I don't know about OOC. Alfred is loyal to a fault. Plus he sees Bruce in many ways as his "son".
    Yeah, I get that he's mad, but I think he'd want to try and understand Selina's side of the story too or try to reach out to her more discreetly since he covered for her when she stole her wedding dress. He's went to bat for the pair of them in multiple canons (and even wrote a fanfic 'shipping them in Brave and the Bold) He'd be concerned for how she's feeling too, and if there was a chance he could reconcile the two, he'd take it. Selina would obviously have to want it, so would Bruce, but he'd try.

Fantastic Member

You need to show that there was an idea of compromise and talking to each other batman was the one bending all over so far no evidence of that. So being solo I think is good for selina away from bruce for as long as possible before king wants to use her again.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense man View Post
    So being solo I think is good for selina away from bruce for as long as possible before king wants to use her again.
    Can we just change that to
    So being solo I think is good for selina away from Tom King for as long as possible

Mighty Member

Ok, so this book looks great. Joelle Jones' art is everything I was hoping for. Her Selina is stunningly beautiful (Both in that dress, and wearing the jacket. Damn good looks, both of 'em). I'm not sold on the new Catwoman costume, but it's not that different from the last one. Kind of a Batman Returns vibe.

But there really isn't much here. We get a brief moment of Selina's anguish at the choice she's made, with Alfred's package. And we get a tiny, tiny introduction to a new villain and a new evil scheme. But there just isn't any actual story here. It's 18 pages of table setting wrapped around 2 pages of story.

I'll give it a few more issues just for the artwork, but this was really disappointing.

Well, it was definitively a good issue. We don't really know anything about the villains yet, but she is creepy as all hell. I really hope that Jones' solo won't crash and burn because of a whole lot of idiotic choices she had no power over. Honestly, it has potential, but I'm not sure it'll last (then again, it'll probably sell a lot more than The Silencer which will reach at least 12 issues, probably more, so I can see D.C. keeping it alive even with relatively low sells.