Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Regarding the Snoke expectations, I remember that a few fans were expecting ROTS to explain the whole Sifo-Dyas/Kamino getting erased mystery that was one of the main plot points of AOTC-and it didn't.

Although the EU did eventually answer the question (Basically Dooku manipulated and used Sifo-Dyas and then took control of the project to twist it to the Sith's plan), as did the still-canon Clone Wars-ironically, in episodes released after the Disney sale (although not overseen by them).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

My enthusiasm for this new trilogy was killed. Included in this is LucasFilm's continues disregard for fans who like Finn and Poe. These two have been erased from promotional material since the movie came out.

EDIT -

And also. The older fans have been vocal about their displeasure with how Kennedy is running and changing things. It isn't just the lowly numbers of Solo or the ire of The Last Jedi, this runs deep.
    Last edited by Bunai; 07-03-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

All you have to do is go down to the toy aisle at Target and take a look at all the SW figures that are warming the pegs while the Marvel stuff is picked clean.

iMan 42s

Is Star Wars imploding? No.

Does the fan-base have this feeling of entitlement? Yes.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Is Star Wars imploding? No.

Does the fan-base have this feeling of entitlement? Yes.
    Agreed.

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member MagnarTheGreat's Avatar

The decline of Star Wars under Kathleen Kennedy.

Star Wars is not for free and it's not a charity. It's not entitlement when it's paid for. Without the support from the customers - the audience - Star Wars is nothing.

Lucasfilm are the ones with an entitlement problem - they and their supporters in the press and outside who attack the audience think they are entitled to other people's money regardless of the quality of the product. They are not.

It's hypocritical to attack the audience for the act of complaining unless that person has never before and never will complain about anything ever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post

Star Wars is not for free and it's not a charity. It's not entitlement when it's paid for. Without the support from the customers - the audience - Star Wars is nothing.

Lucasfilm are the ones with an entitlement problem - they and their supporters in the press and outside who attack the audience think they are entitled to other people's money regardless of the quality of the product. They are not.

It's hypocritical to attack the audience for the act of complaining unless that person has never before and never will complain about anything ever.
    And if all the audience did was not buy a ticket, you would have a point.

No one has a problem with people not liking something and wanting something different. However, if one is being a total jerk about (and believe you me, the Star Wars fanbase is one the most toxic ands entitled ones out there, right up there with Comicsgate, if not more so), then there's a problem.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

I honestly think Episode IX is going to have serious issues. In the original trilogy, Empire was left off with the ultimate cliffhanger and the resolution was must see. In the prequel trilogy you knew you were getting Darth Vader's creation in episode 3 and that was where all the hype was. Right now I think most people feel like the story is such a blank slate and Last Jedi throughout so much of what Force Awakens set up that there really isn't any direction. The only thing to care about is what happens to Kylo and I don't think that is a big enough deal.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I honestly think Episode IX is going to have serious issues. In the original trilogy, Empire was left off with the ultimate cliffhanger and the resolution was must see. In the prequel trilogy you knew you were getting Darth Vader's creation in episode 3 and that was where all the hype was. Right now I think most people feel like the story is such a blank slate and Last Jedi throughout so much of what Force Awakens set up that there really isn't any direction. The only thing to care about is what happens to Kylo and I don't think that is a big enough deal.
    Completely agree.

Actor Behind Jar-Jar Binks, Ahmed Best, Reveals Backlash From The Phantom Menace Made Him Consider Suicide

[
    ]
    The tweet shows a picture of Best and his young son as they look out at a scenic area. The Tweet reads: “20 years next year I faced a media backlash that still affects my career today. This was the place I almost ended my life. It’s still hard to talk about. I survived and now this little guy is my gift for survival. Would this be a good story for my solo show? Lemme know.”

Next year will be the 20th anniversary of The Phantom Menace. At the time, Best was 25-years-old and Jar-Jar was his first major role in a film. The Hollywood Reporter wrote that the actor revealed he had received death threats because of the role: “I had death threats through the internet. I had people come to me and say, ‘You destroyed my childhood.’ That’s difficult for a 25-year-old to hear.”

Not only is it difficult to hear, but it’s also deeply unfair and cruel to Best, since he didn’t create the character. Hell, even if he did, sending death threats to him is so uncalled for.

[
    ]

https://www.themarysue.com/ahmed-bes...ash-star-wars/

Still think it's the film makers that have the entitlement problem?

The only thing to care about is what happens to Kylo and I don't think that is a big enough deal
    What are the odds of him surviving this? I keep thinking that Disney isn't desperate enough to let him live but now him living or dying may as well be a coin flip. He is the most popular character and the only one who can move merchandise.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

I'm trying to imagine the effects of The Empire Strikes Back on the minds of fandom if it had been released in 2017. And I don't see how it would be received any better than The Last Jedi.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What are the odds of him surviving this? I keep thinking that Disney isn't desperate enough to let him live but now him living or dying may as well be a coin flip. He is the most popular character and the only one who can move merchandise.
    Much like his gramps, he doesn't have to be alive to push merchandise.

Ultimate Member

I don't believe Star Wars has a large enough "hardcore" fan base to determine it's absolute success or failure. Star Wars is pretty much a cultural phenomenon and the general audience is what drives these movies success. Solo didn't flop only because the "hardcore" fans stayed away, it flopped because a) it was a troubled production that had negative buzz for months b) it's a prequel that generally didn't generate much interest (we just saw older Solo get killed by his son) c) an extremely late marketing campaign d) it was too soon after the last Star Wars movie e) tepid reviews.

That being said, there's a severe toxicity that's entered the aforementioned hardcore fan base that's becoming a bit troubling to watch and IS approaching comicsgate/gamergate levels of nonsense. I just read that Ahmed Best was almost suicidal after the backlash Jar Jar Binks received. I think i read it somewhere that said backlash is even driving away top film makers from "genre" movies like Star Wars. Kelly Marie Tran had her Wookiepedia page changed into racist nonsense and she's seriously reduced her social media presence. Heck, it's even part of the reason George Lucas sold the entire thing in the first place.

I've long made this argument about legitimate criticism and otherwise. I didn't like the Last Jedi at all and i don't agree with the direction Lucasfilm has taken the franchise but I can understand why Rian Johnson and co made those decisions and went in a certain direction. However, a lot of stuff I'm seeing online isn't just criticizing Star Wars, they are basically attacking and in some cases literally harassing everyone involved in the making of the Last Jedi and the folks at Lucasfilm. This is where there's a severe (and rightfully so) push back against trolls online that are attacking people and people that are using Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson's names and images for clicks. Worse still is the whole "anti-SJW Star Wars" campaign that has sprung up simply because Star Wars now has diverse leads. I guess the movies having straight, white male leads would have improved the quality in their eyes.