Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 129
  1. #46
    Astonishing Member Jekyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    The entire Canto Blight mission can be cut from the movie and it would not effect anything... Johnson is a terrible writer .
    I cut this entire sequence out each time I’ve watched Last Jedi. It’s boring, long, and unnecessary. I like Last Jedi but I agree that this scene really adds nothing to the film and it makes my viewing more enjoyable.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), The Atom (Ray Palmer) , Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, & Ant-Man (Scott Lang).

    Current Pulls: Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Venom, Immortal Hulk, Guardians of The Galaxy, Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Star Wars,Shazam, & TMNT!

  2. #47
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    19,118

    Default

    Just leaving this here.

    It's about TheLast Jedi's structure and why you can't just cut out Canto Bight.


  3. #48
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Just leaving this here.

    It's about TheLast Jedi's structure and why you can't just cut out Canto Bight.

    Seems like a intention vs execution problem. Canto Blight may have purpose but the way its done leaves the viewers feeling like it was a waste of their time.

    Maybe it would have been better to kill him off in that suicide run so the arc has a actual payoff.
    Last edited by Baseman; 07-05-2018 at 05:03 PM.

  4. #49
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think it's more accurate to say that Rose saved Finn from making a heroic and pointless impersonation of a bug splattering on a windshield.
    There is no indication that he would not have been successful in destroying the battering cannon. Also with the given information Rose had, the entire resistance was behind rusty steel door that that cannon is about the take down and they were all about to die weather or not Finn finishes his suicide run. So what she said really made no sense and is not as iconic as the " I love you" "I know" lines from ESB (see comparison between TLJ and ESB). I truth it would have been better if there were not Rose and it was Poe that made the trip to CB with Finn and him that saved him in the end, there of course would have been the "Starwars has gone gay" crowd but it would have made move sense.

    Or Finn could have just died because from TFA he was always running and now that he is "rebel scum"... not really under standing where the "rebel" came from... he has reason now not to run, so they tell him to run? To die to save the entire resistance... or is rebellion now? what a heroic death and may more Rose up to more than a plot device in the next movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    Seems like a intention vs execution problem. Canto Blight may have purpose but the way its done leaves the viewers feeling like it was a waste of their time.

    Maybe it would have been better to kill him off in that suicide run so the arc has a actual payoff.
    So True, the comic book adaption did a much better job of telling the story than the move with the pace of the Canto Blight being quicker and shorter.

    The last line of that video is dumb, its not the movie the audience wants but the one that they need. In business if you decide give the customer what you think they need rather then what want you run the risk of them not coming back...... see, one reason (of many) of why Solo did not do to well. The points of the video pretty much said that TFA sucked when the same rules are applied.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 07-05-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  5. #50
    "Emma is STILL right! Vegeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think it's more accurate to say that Rose saved Finn from making a heroic and pointless impersonation of a bug splattering on a windshield.
    I was surprised she didn't actually kill Finn herself the way she smashed into him at full speed.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

  6. #51
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I cut this entire sequence out each time I’ve watched Last Jedi. It’s boring, long, and unnecessary. I like Last Jedi but I agree that this scene really adds nothing to the film and it makes my viewing more enjoyable.
    Well, it's pretty darn important to understanding Finn's story arc in the movie and set up the final act. Mileage may vary on whether you liked it or not (I liked it because of the counterbalance it provided to more serious Force-ey stuff with Rey, Luke, and Kylo), but I'd say it was pretty darn necessary.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  7. #52
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Please...no more Canto Bight, I beg of you!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  8. #53
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Please...no more Canto Bight, I beg of you!
    Seeing as it got its own novel, it's far too late for that, don't you think?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  9. #54
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Seeing as it got its own novel, it's far too late for that, don't you think?
    I meant on the thread.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  10. #55

    Default

    My problem with the line is that it doesn't make sense to give the lecture to Finn. At no point is he fighting out of hatred.

  11. #56
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Just leaving this here.

    It's about TheLast Jedi's structure and why you can't just cut out Canto Bight.

    Yeah, no. You can cut it out.

    Though in my opinion you can cut out the entirety of the movie, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

  12. #57
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Seeing as it got its own novel, it's far too late for that, don't you think?
    Collection of short stories (and not very good ones) does not make a "novel". But that brings up another point with almost every thing new being put out considered cannon, all the new writers will have to navigate the upcoming labyrinth of movies, books, comics, TV, and games. An Obi Wan Kenobi movie now must take inconsideration the actions of Kenobi in the comic books (I think I'm the only one who really doesn't care to see a Obi Wan movie). As time moves on the thicket of source material is set to become very dense which will make continuity a rough path to follow. The Poe in the comic book does not seem to be the insubordinate wreckless win at all cost Poe form TFA. Will the real Poe Dameron please stand up.

    Lucas had the foresight to set limits to what the EU could expand upon, namely the period prior ANH, because he knew what he wanted to do next when the time was right. With no actual plan a problem is no one knows were Star Wars is gong or what's next, not even the people in charge.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  13. #58
    Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)
    Posts
    2,181

    Default

    I think the biggest danger Star Wars has is a stream of mediocre movies soon and even if the movies are good, I don't know if I could just get excited to see some of them. For example Solo, still haven't seen it. Han Solo's past just isn't a concept to get me excited enough about.

  14. #59
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,672

    Default

    You can shorten and tighten the pace of Canto but you can't cut it.

    The overall theme of failure gets lost when you cut it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  15. #60
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Collection of short stories (and not very good ones) does not make a "novel". But that brings up another point with almost every thing new being put out considered cannon, all the new writers will have to navigate the upcoming labyrinth of movies, books, comics, TV, and games. An Obi Wan Kenobi movie now must take inconsideration the actions of Kenobi in the comic books (I think I'm the only one who really doesn't care to see a Obi Wan movie). As time moves on the thicket of source material is set to become very dense which will make continuity a rough path to follow. The Poe in the comic book does not seem to be the insubordinate wreckless win at all cost Poe form TFA. Will the real Poe Dameron please stand up.

    Lucas had the foresight to set limits to what the EU could expand upon, namely the period prior ANH, because he knew what he wanted to do next when the time was right. With no actual plan a problem is no one knows were Star Wars is gong or what's next, not even the people in charge.
    There's still plenty of room I think for an Obi-Wan movie, given he was there for almost two decades, and the marvel comics & Rebels don't cover too much of that time. There's even a possibility that Obi-Wan would temporarily leave Tatooine for some important reason (Something that occured in the "Last of the Jedi" novels).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •