View Poll Results: Watchmen or Charlton?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Watchmen

6 11.54%
  • Charlton

41 78.85%
  • Unsure

3 5.77%
  • No opinion

2 3.85%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I think you're right the character work was just sloppy. Well yeah then again DC hasn't really done much with the Charlton characters at all really except for Captain Atom, the Question and Blue beetle I guess they have no faith in the rest. Why do you like the Charlton characters when the majority of them can't really hold a solo title?
    I like the Question because of Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood, the JLU animated series, 52, and The Question: Pipeline. I like Nightshade because of Suicide Squad. I like Blue Beetle because of Birds of Prey. So that's my reasoning.

I'm not sure we can really say they can't hold a solo - they've not been tried in a really long time. But I don't necessarily want a solo - I just want the richness of the DCU history to be used more in supporting roles.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I like the Question because of Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood, the JLU animated series, 52, and The Question: Pipeline. I like Nightshade because of Suicide Squad. I like Blue Beetle because of Birds of Prey. So that's my reasoning.

I'm not sure we can really say they can't hold a solo - they've not been tried in a really long time. But I don't necessarily want a solo - I just want the richness of the DCU history to be used more in supporting roles.
    I mean these characters were from a company that went bankrupt. Ted Kord and Dan Garrett don't exactly have a rogues gallery that allows them to stand out neither did Jaime it's one of the key essential building blocks of a good story. Every heor needs a villain even Jaime's love life was pretty dull thanks to the fact they chose a pretty bland girl to to be his love interest in his new solo. Also there's more benefit to solo book than a team book because it allows the characters to be developed better unless the roster is small.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I mean these characters were from a company that went bankrupt. Ted Kord and Dan Garrett don't exactly have a rogues gallery that allows them to stand out neither did Jaime it's one of the key essential building blocks of a good story. Every heor needs a villain even Jaime's love life was pretty dull thanks to the fact they chose a pretty bland girl to to be his love interest in his new solo. Also there's more benefit to solo book than a team book because it allows the characters to be developed better unless the roster is small.
    I disagree about solo vs. team necessarily. I think if you have two to four characters, the team can be just as good or better than a solo - Birds of Prey, Fantastic Four are good examples of this.

And I agree that the Charlton characters need rogues - but it's not like there aren't plenty of villains around. Just look at the Suicide Squad itself!

As for Ted, I say just do what Before Watchmen did - give him a Catwoman expy. Maybe the Purple Dragonfly.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    The idea is that the Charlton comic would work as DC's street level team.
    Then you maybe should have put that in your opening post?
    Where are you going to put the other very powerful Charlton characters like Nightshade and E-Man?

The failure of Earth 2 should serve as a warning against ...
    ... against editorial micromanaging books and not sticking to the agreements you made with the creative team regarding how much writing they'll be allowed to actually do.
    Last edited by Carabas; 07-03-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Where are you going to put the other very powerful Charlton characters like Nightshade and E-Man?

... against editorial micromanaging books and not sticking to the agreements you made with the creative team regarding how much writing they'll be allowed to actually do.
    Oooh, what happened with Earth Two?

Nightshade was on the Suicide Squad, so I don't think she's quite Superman level. I'd think Blue Beetle's tech puts them roughly equal?

BANNED

All right, Carabas. You're going to the mat for very powerful Charlton characters to be included in the comic. Your position about it is duly noted.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

I disagree about solo vs. team necessarily. I think if you have two to four characters, the team can be just as good or better than a solo - Birds of Prey, Fantastic Four are good examples of this.

And I agree that the Charlton characters need rogues - but it's not like there aren't plenty of villains around. Just look at the Suicide Squad itself!

As for Ted, I say just do what Before Watchmen did - give him a Catwoman expy. Maybe the Purple Dragonfly.
    Yeah but you have like six characters in the Charlton roster. That's almost to the numbers the Justice League normally has. And that's a fairly tall order. Maybe the Charlton characters should be the opponents of the Suicide Squad maybe then they can have something on them. Being a copy of Batman was kidn of why Ted was not well respected though i doubt giving him one liek they did for nite Owl would be good idea. and might lead to accusations of being unoriginal.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Oooh, what happened with Earth Two?
    This sort of nonsense was widespread with The New 52 in its first years.
    Basically a lot of greenlit stories being ungreenlit. Particularly being forced to put a lot of Batman and Superman in his book after making a big show of killing them off in the first issue.
    Earth 2 started really great, could have been Starman great, but got derailed to the point Robinson just quit. And as soon as he left it pretty much turned into a Batman/Superman book.

Nightshade was on the Suicide Squad, so I don't think she's quite Superman level. I'd think Blue Beetle's tech puts them roughly equal?
    John Ostrander's Suicide Squad was far from a streetlevel team. Nightshade got a massive power-up in that book.

BANNED

All right, Carabas. You're going to the mat for very powerful Charlton characters to be included in the comic. Your position about it is duly noted.
    Look, you're calling it a Charlton team book, not a "some streetlevel characters including some of them with no connection to Charlton". team book

I'll shave to second his position: relegating the Charleton heroes to a street-level team when they've got their share of powerhouses strikes me as a waste of potential.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

BANNED

So which characters have we got here?

Blue Beetle

Captain Atom (not the immensely powerful one)

Nightshade

Peacemaker

Question

Thunderbolt

Yellowjacket

Batman

Black Canary

Green Arrow

Hawkman

The Atom (Al Pratt)

Obsidian

Sandman

Skyman

Wildcat

Don't worry about there being a lot of characters in the comic. Every character doesn't have to appear in every story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I'll shave to second his position: relegating the Charleton heroes to a street-level team when they've got their share of powerhouses strikes me as a waste of potential.
    They can join the JSA, which will need some guides in the 21st century.

BANNED

Look, you're calling it a Charlton team book, not a "some streetlevel characters including some of them with no connection to Charlton". team book
    This was my idea in the first place. I suggested it here two and a half years ago. If including street-level, non-Charlton characters in the comic is somehow a deal killer for you, then that's fine. Maybe you have a better idea, for a nothing-but-Charlton comic. You're entitled to think that would sell better.

I happen to think this would sell better than a nothing-but-Charlton comic would, and selling is the name of the game.

And before anyone brings up Lethal Assualt Weapon, that's not what this is.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-03-2018 at 10:26 AM.

This sort of nonsense was widespread with The New 52 in its first years.
    Basically a lot of greenlit stories being ungreenlit. Particularly being forced to put a lot of Batman and Superman in his book after making a big show of killing them off in the first issue.
    Earth 2 started really great, could have been Starman great, but got derailed to the point Robinson just quit. And as soon as he left it pretty much turned into a Batman/Superman book.

John Ostrander's Suicide Squad was far from a streetlevel team. Nightshade got a massive power-up in that book.
    True. But it's also nowhere near JL level (or is it? I'm not super well versed in Suicide Squad).

What are the levels between streetlevel and gods?

Ah. I was pretty much gone from the n52 by December 2011, so I missed pretty much all of that. Only came back in 2014.

So you're not really interested in discussing Charleton heroes, after all. OK; I'm out.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.