View Poll Results: Watchmen or Charlton?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Watchmen

6 11.54%
  • Charlton

41 78.85%
  • Unsure

3 5.77%
  • No opinion

2 3.85%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    So you're not really interested in discussing Charleton heroes, after all. OK; I'm out.
    I am! Don't go!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

So you're not really interested in discussing Charleton heroes, after all. OK; I'm out.
    I've got seven Charlton characters listed, and right now DC isn't giving you any. Jeez.

If you want a nothing-but-Charlton comic instead, then you can start a thread about that.

Just gonna leave these here.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I've got seven Charlton characters listed, and right now DC isn't giving you any. Jeez.
    Well, we're getting Question in November!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Just gonna leave these here.

Oooh, are those any good?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Last word before I leave.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I am! Don't go!
    The guy who started the thread doesn't want to hear my opinions; so there's no point sticking around.

So you took offense to the fact that I clearly identified your intent and responded accordingly? You want to talk about a street-level team that happens to include Charlton heroes; I don't, so I'm leaving you to your thread. What's wrong with that?

If you want a nothing-but-Charlton comic instead, then you can start a thread about that.
    Or I can find an existing thread that talks about the Charlton heroes, like I thought this thread was going to do.

Goodbye.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

BANNED

Last word before I leave.

The guy who started the thread doesn't want to hear my opinions; so there's no point sticking around.

So you took offense to the fact that I clearly identified your intent and responded accordingly? You want to talk about a street-level team that happens to include Charlton heroes; I don't, so I'm leaving you to your thread. What's wrong with that?

Or I can find an existing thread that talks about the Charlton heroes, like I thought this thread was going to do.

Goodbye.
    I'm very happy to hear your opinions. But if you think putting non-Charlton characters in this comic will taint it somehow, then I'm not going to agree with that.

This thread might be more what you're looking for:

http://community.comicbookresources....t-Appreciation

Put me down for a Charlton team WITHOUT any other DC characters. I like the idea of the Charlton characters having a team of their own. The LAW miniseries posted above was good, but the name is too generic and not superhero-y enough for me.

The idea of adding other DC characters to a Charlton team turns me off because that character would feel out of place.

I'd like to see a Charlton team book, plus a revival of Freedom Fighters with the Quality heroes, and a Squadron of Justice comic with the Fawcett heroes.

Then, every once in awhile you could have guest stars from the DCU and team crossover events.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Put me down for a Charlton team WITHOUT any other DC characters. I like the idea of the Charlton characters having a team of their own. The LAW miniseries posted above was good, but the name is too generic and not superhero-y enough for me.

The idea of adding other DC characters to a Charlton team turns me off because that character would feel out of place.

I'd like to see a Charlton team book, plus a revival of Freedom Fighters with the Quality heroes, and a Squadron of Justice comic with the Fawcett heroes.

Then, every once in awhile you could have guest stars from the DCU and team crossover events.
    I think it'd be nice to get backups in Justice League or something that delved into the richness of the history of the DCU.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Too bad only one of the those characters have had success holding a solo. Which Blue Beetle do you like the best?
    Question & Atom had books too. So did both Beetles.

Atom reached issue 50 unlike the others who reach around the 30s.

But if you think putting non-Charlton characters in this comic will taint it somehow, then I'm not going to agree with that.
    Sooner or later the time will come that guys like Batman do NOT need to be in every book. That does not increase sales just orders from ignorant store owners who won't order certain books.

We do not care about books ordered. I do not need to see 40 copies (40 remaining out of 50) of this book with Batman collecting dust in bins. If these guys can only warrant 10 copies and at least 7 sale every month-that's fine.

A run of 36 good issues is fine with me than 100 with Batman overshadowing the team every issue.

These guys have to stand by themselves-throwing Batman or his gang in everything is not going to solve anything but leave larger piles of unsold books. Or the mess we are seeing with Wal-mart-overpriced sets on Ebay for those 100 pagers. Interesting enough I have YET to see in a Wal-mart around here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Sooner or later the time will come that guys like Batman do NOT need to be in every book. That does not increase sales just orders from ignorant store owners who won't order certain books.

We do not care about books ordered. I do not need to see 40 copies (40 remaining out of 50) of this book with Batman collecting dust in bins. If these guys can only warrant 10 copies and at least 7 sale every month-that's fine.

A run of 36 good issues is fine with me than 100 with Batman overshadowing the team every issue.

These guys have to stand by themselves-throwing Batman or his gang in everything is not going to solve anything but leave larger piles of unsold books. Or the mess we are seeing with Wal-mart-overpriced sets on Ebay for those 100 pagers. Interesting enough I have YET to see in a Wal-mart around here.
    I'm not a Bat fan, so I get what you're saying. But beyond giving this comic a higher profile, I think Batman, as an unpowered character, is an odd duck in the Justice League. I think he's a better fit in a comic like this. And the Justice League will get along fine without him.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Question & Atom had books too. So did both Beetles.

Atom reached issue 50 unlike the others who reach around the 30s.
    I was referring to the Question and I thought the Question was the only Charlton character to have a successful solo book I guess I was wrong.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I was referring to the Question and I thought the Question was the only Charlton character to have a successful solo book I guess I was wrong.
    Captain Atom's comic was pretty great, actually. It was written by Cary Bates and initially drawn by Pat Broderick.

This featured Bates' best writing at DC and a marked departure from his gimmicky plot-driven stuff on the Superman titles. Bates was able to marry his strong plotting skills with the character-driven stuff that comics had matured into and the result was really good.

I liked the hook of General Eiling having married Nathaniel Adam's wife when Adam was presumed dead but actually took a quantum leap forward in time. So Eiling, a man Adam despised, married his wife and raised his daughter. Good drama there. Captain Atom's romance with Firestorm villain Plastique was also intriguing. The series featured Greg Weisman as co-writer before Weisman created the Gargoyles cartoon for Disney.

I don't know if Captain Atom has been collected in trade, but it really should be. People who have only seen the character post-Armageddon 2001 didn't get to see the character at his best and probably never warmed up to the character as a result. He's been handled pretty badly in comics since then, but fortunately, the Justice League cartoon gave him lots of respect.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 07-03-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Oooh, what happened with Earth Two?

Nightshade was on the Suicide Squad, so I don't think she's quite Superman level. I'd think Blue Beetle's tech puts them roughly equal?
    The Squad has had a few Superman level or closer to it members like Enchantress. And while Nightshade was more in the street level range during her time in the Squad she got a massive power up when she was moved to Shadowpact.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Squad has had a few Superman level or closer to it members like Enchantress. And while Nightshade was more in the street level range during her time in the Squad she got a massive power up when she was moved to Shadowpact.
    Aren't the hyperpowerful members of the squad also usually countered by massive problems in controlling them or their powers? I mean, that was the idea with the Suicide Squad movie (much as it wasn't that effective ).

Aren't the hyperpowerful members of the squad also usually countered by massive problems in controlling them or their powers? I mean, that was the idea with the Suicide Squad movie (much as it wasn't that effective ).
    Pretty much yes.