Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Choose a character. Choose a team. Choose the length of the run. Tell us why.

Choose a character. Then you pick a team. Explain why. Then choose length of run and explain why. Step right up. No character is too obscure. No character too popular.

The character: Captain Marvel

The Team: Kurt Busiek writing and Frank Cho on pencils

Why: The last time this character worked was under Busiek's pen....well keyboard/pad. He is also a skilled repairman able to take characters who have been damaged and make them work again, so this would be the second time he has to fix the character. Cho would get the call because even when his work is at it's most funnybook mayhem crazy he can still pull off the humanity as well.

Length Of The Run: Long enough to make us forget about all the other runs? So I'm thinking...yikes...sixty issues?
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-03-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Frank Cho. Spell Correct keeps changing his name.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

The Character: Initially Hawkeye, later a Secret Avengers Team Book

The Team:
    Writer - Matthew Rosenberg
    Artist - Chechetto

Why:
    Fractions solo back then made Clint Barton Hawkguy, which was fun in the context of the book but kept defining him ever since then and most of the time not necessarily in a good way.
    Rosenberg proved with Tales of Suspense that he knows how to handle the "hawkguy-ness" and still write a very competent Superhero.
    Plus: His dialogues are great.
    And Chechetto is just chechetto.

Length:
    Given that Rosenberg also wrote other characters who would fit in a Secret Avengers book I'd go for a 10-15 Hawkeye solo before the same creative team transforms it into a Teambook which I'd give 15-30 issues.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

The Character: Cyclops (adult)

The Team: Gerry Duggan and Pepe Larraz

The Why: The X-Men are spinning their wheels. By now they've realized that Scott is what makes their engine run. Storm tried leading. Practically handed Kitty the keys to the car. Kitty couldn't hack it. And now it's time to get Scott back.

The Length: The Search for Cyclops II = 5 issues
    INTO
    Uncanny X-Men = until the end of time. Or the next relaunch. A good 30-40 issues?

Astonishing Member

The character: Medusa

The Team: G. Willow Wilson writing and Carlos Pacheco on pencils

Why: Medusa has appeared in like every story she has written for Marvel from a guest one page appearance in X-men vol 4, to being a supporting character in Ms. Marvel, to a full time member of her A-force team, as well being the star of the Women of Marvel: Thrones she clearly has a story she wants to write for her and would love to see it. For Pacheco I liked the way he drew the Inhumans in Uncanny Inhumans.

Length Of The Run: 12 locked after that how well the book does for readers and critics. If well liked by critics but low sales I would think maybe some sort of thing to get people to look at it.

The character: Invisible Woman

The Team:
    Mark Waid and Chris Sprouse

Why: She's character with a lot of potential but is held back because of her role on the Fantastic Four often leads to her taking a backseat, she's in sore need of development and a solo is just the thing to do it. Plus she is Marvel's first female superhero yet she hasn't even had a mini book while every other member of team has.

Read S.H.I.E.L.D (2015) #4 for why I chose Waid and Sprouse.

Length Of The Run: 12 issue mini that leads to a full solo down the line if it sells well.
    Last edited by Crimz; 07-03-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Captain Britain

Garth Ennis and Frank Quitely

I want to see Garth Ennis do for the prevailing and messy mythology of Britain, England, Albion, etc... that Preacher did for America. Captain Britain is usually sanitized by Claremont and Davis in a way that's endearing, despite questionable, problematic relationships and dependencies.

12 issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    The Character: Initially Hawkeye, later a Secret Avengers Team Book

The Team:
    Writer - Matthew Rosenberg
    Artist - Chechetto

Why:
    Fractions solo back then made Clint Barton Hawkguy, which was fun in the context of the book but kept defining him ever since then and most of the time not necessarily in a good way.
    Rosenberg proved with Tales of Suspense that he knows how to handle the "hawkguy-ness" and still write a very competent Superhero.
    Plus: His dialogues are great.
    And Chechetto is just chechetto.

Length:
    Given that Rosenberg also wrote other characters who would fit in a Secret Avengers book I'd go for a 10-15 Hawkeye solo before the same creative team transforms it into a Teambook which I'd give 15-30 issues.
    Hawkeye was going to be my first choice before I went with Captain Marvel. He was great in Avengers and when he was leading The Thunderbolts
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The character: Invisible Woman

The Team:
    Mark Waid and Chris Sprouse

Why: She's character with a lot of potential but is held back because of her role on the Fantastic Four often leads to her taking a backseat, she's in sore need of development and a solo is just the thing to do it. Plus she is Marvel's first female superhero yet she hasn't even had a mini book while every other member of team has.

Read S.H.I.E.L.D (2015) #4 for why I chose Waid and Sprouse.

Length Of The Run: 12 issue mini that leads to a full solo down the line if it sells well.
    What did you think of Waid's FF run?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What did you think of Waid's FF run?
    Loved it, it was great. The only things I hated were Doom's portrayal and Sue swapping powers with Johnny.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Kitty & Illyana duo book.

Magdalene Visaggio and Jen Bartel

It would be a fun road trip book, with crazy adventures and heartfelt talks.

It would run for at least 5 issues, preferably a year, maybe even longer, if the sales justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Loved it, it was great. The only things I hated were Doom's portrayal and Sue swapping powers with Johnny.
    I still don't get how Waid got almost everything so right but Doom so very wrong.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

X-Men: Red except illustrated by Mike Choi. At least 30 issues.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Iron Fist by Peter David- Danny lacks a strong voice/direction when he's on his own- possible ongoing

Shang-chi by Greg Pak- He can easily fall into cliche so I was thinking Pak can avoid that- possible ongoing

Arabian Knight by Saladin Ahmed- It was a joke but I'm curious about what could come from it- 5 issue miniseries

Dust by G. Willow Wilson- I love her on Ms. Marvel and wouldn't mind seeing her take a crack at a character a bit more distant- 5 issue miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Iron Fist by Peter David- Danny lacks a strong voice/direction when he's on his own- possible ongoing

Shang-chi by Greg Pak- He can easily fall into cliche so I was thinking Pak can avoid that- possible ongoing

Arabian Knight by Saladin Ahmed- It was a joke but I'm curious about what could come from it- 5 issue miniseries

Dust by G. Willow Wilson- I love her on Ms. Marvel and wouldn't mind seeing her take a crack at a character a bit more distant- 5 issue miniseries.
    Art teams, need them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Captain Britain

Garth Ennis and Frank Quitely

I want to see Garth Ennis do for the prevailing and messy mythology of Britain, England, Albion, etc... that Preacher did for America. Captain Britain is usually sanitized by Claremont and Davis in a way that's endearing, despite questionable, problematic relationships and dependencies.

12 issues?
    Yes please. I would read 100 issues of that

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    That sounds great. With David Marquez art