Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Now there are SIX, for heaven's sake, which is beyond absurd.
    Yes, and when Alan returns there will be seven. Eight if Jade comes along.

You don't like it, fair enough. DC may not care, which is fine.

Personally, I prefer abundance of redundancies than the alternative.

Still, no reason for one woman in the role inviabilizing another woman on the role, specially if there are five men.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Yes, and when Alan returns there will be seven. Eight if Jade comes along.

You don't like it, fair enough. DC may not care, which is fine.

Personally, I prefer abundance of redundancies than the alternative.

Still, no reason for one woman in the role inviabilizing another woman on the role, specially if there are five men.
    They can sort of finesse the Alan situation by saying he's a Starheart Lantern.

How can they REALLY distinguish him from the GLC Lanterns though? What I'd do is have Alan be the only one who can make ring constructs. By contrast, I'd give the GLC Lanterns' rings the same capabilities as a star ship in Star Trek. But however they do it, a strong contrast with Alan would be good.

Anyway, there shouldn't be five male GLC members on Earth. There should be three -- Hal, Guy and John. DC has shown consistently over a long period that it's not capable of handling more than that.

Kyle, Simon and Jessica can do something else, preferably together.

Todd and Jenny can do something else too, and can share the same powers.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

How can they REALLY distinguish him from the GLC Lanterns though?
    He wears a cape.

There!
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Distinguishing Alan from the Green Lantern Corps is easy: just emphasize that he wields the magical Green Flame of Life. Visually, he wields flame while the Corps wield light. Magically, he's vulnerable to wood not Yellow. Conceptually, he's not connected to the Emotional Spectrum at all; he's more closely associated with the Swamp Thing's Green than with GLC lore, and even that's an indirect link. (Note: “the Green Flame of Life” comes directly from the stories published in the 40s, and his vulnerability to wood was originally explained in terms of not being able to hurt something so closely associated with his source of power — which is why tying N52 Earth 2's Alan Scott to his world's equivalent of the mystical Green was such a genius move. It wouldn't work on the Primary Earth, though, as it already has the Swamp Thing as the Green's champion.)

If the JSA got “Captain America'd” from 1951, Alan might have had prepubescent kids when the Society vanished. Either they got brought along for some reason and are too young to even remotely resemble Jade and Obsidian, or they didn't and are now way to old to resemble Jade and Obsidian. It's the main flaw with the time-jump explanation: it leaves no room for Infinity Inc. or Stargirl's generation without additional retconning. Granted, some such retconning is doable: if you're willing to say that Jade and Obsidian are Alan's great grandchildren rather than his daughter and son, then you can make it work: he had a kid when he disappeared, but the kid was left behind and is now in his or her seventies; and his or her kids are in their fourties, making it just possible that the fourth generation of the Scott “clan” (Jade and Obsidian) are in their late teens/early 20s.

The other alternative I can think of is to have Infinity Inc. come from a couple decades or more in the future, in a manner similar to how Barry Alan may end up meeting the Tornado Twins soon despite not yet having married Iris. Time travel lets you do some strange things like that. In this case, Jade and Obsidian would be Alan's children from a possible future; and as long as that future remains possible, so do they.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

A simple explanation would be to bring the JSA back 30 years before the current day. This allows the JSA time to marry and raise adult children. A disadvantage would be either needing a large tour bus to bring significant others to their future or assume the JSAers met new people or a mix of the two.

Or put everyone on a newly developed Earth Two.

Is that a serious question? I was taken aback when Cruz kept getting referred to as "the first female Earth Lantern." People who have never read any pre-Johns Green Lantern -- and there are many of them -- think that's the case.
    Well, she is the first female Green Lantern from Earth based on current continuity.
    We still don't know if Jade will ever return or not.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Does Jade have to have a ring, though?
    No, not with all the Lanterns buzzing around. But whatever they find for her to do needs to be better than the plant powers.
    The plant powers were a nod to her birth-mother, just as her green energy power was related to her birth father.

And Jade did temporarily have a power ring (and GLC costume) at one point, thanks to Kyle. (But that was looooooong ago . . . )

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And Jade did temporarily have a power ring (and GLC costume) at one point, thanks to Kyle. (But that was looooooong ago . . . )
    Right, but does she USUALLY have one? Does she need one to be a superhero?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    A simple explanation would be to bring the JSA back 30 years before the current day. This allows the JSA time to marry and raise adult children. A disadvantage would be either needing a large tour bus to bring significant others to their future or assume the JSAers met new people or a mix of the two.

Or put everyone on a newly developed Earth Two.
    Neither of which is where Doomsday Clock appears to be going — though I wouldn't mind if it ends up doing a Superman Reborn and editing the JSA and their kids into the surviving post-Flashpoint stories. (Just what was the JSA doing during Trinity War, Forever Evil, etc.?)

Putting them on a newly developed Earth 2 is also attractive, but still leaves you with JLA-shaped holes in their history — unless you also include JLA expies on this new Earth-2, or also reinstate a history of Dimensional crossovers (in which case, we're back to “where was the JSA during all of the events from 2011 to now?”). Also, I consider this option particularly unlikely, as the role of the JSA in Doomsday Clock is as the missing legacy of the DCU; putting them on a separate Earth wouldn't restore the missing legacy.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

What are your thoughts about these characters?
    That I hope they land on Earth-Two from whence they came and where all JSA-related characters will always belong in my heart-canon. Or my "love gun." I use the terms interchangeably, as, I believe, does KISS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Neither of which is where Doomsday Clock appears to be going — though I wouldn't mind if it ends up doing a Superman Reborn and editing the JSA and their kids into the surviving post-Flashpoint stories. (Just what was the JSA doing during Trinity War, Forever Evil, etc.?)

Putting them on a newly developed Earth 2 is also attractive, but still leaves you with JLA-shaped holes in their history — unless you also include JLA expies on this new Earth-2, or also reinstate a history of Dimensional crossovers (in which case, we're back to “where was the JSA during all of the events from 2011 to now?”). Also, I consider this option particularly unlikely, as the role of the JSA in Doomsday Clock is as the missing legacy of the DCU; putting them on a separate Earth wouldn't restore the missing legacy.
    The Rebirth flashback with Wally and Jay from COIE #12 makes it looks like at least some JLA/JSA history has some importance. Jay also recognized Barry in The Button. The JSA's disappearance is a mix of the Thunderbolt and Dr. Manhattan. Who did what may be revealed; it may not. I'm curious what you've seen in Doomsday Clock to suggest this isn't a goal.

But they're superhero comics. Many of us could come up a workable way to handle many resolutions. Add time-jumps and missing years to magic rings, genies, and men running near the speed of light and it's clear actual science is irrelevant.

Mighty Member

Alan Scott: Has a lot of things going for him that easily distinguishes him from the other Green Lanterns. One of them is that he seems to be mystical-based.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Alan Scott: Has a lot of things going for him that easily distinguishes him from the other Green Lanterns. One of them is that he seems to be mystical-based.
    True, but I think that along with that, his ring should do different things than the GLC's rings do. We just don't need more of the same stuff.

DC obviously thinks that the more Earth GLs, the merrier. I call hogwash on that.

DC also thinks that the more Corps, the merrier. Double hogwash.

And that the more DCU characters who get to wear a power ring, the merrier. Triple hogwash.

This gross overkill is spewing from the same company that for 10 years adamantly refused to depict any Lantern at all except Kyle! It's like the zeal of someone who was once lost but now is converted to some screwball religion.

Three GLC Lanterns, DC -- Hal, Guy and John. One different kind of Lantern -- Alan. And one Corps -- the Green one.

That's it. No more. Show us what you can do with that please.

Show us how creative you are by writing that and making it sell, instead of showing us how faux-creative you are by cluttering your comics with more and more Lanterns and Corps that you've proved for 10 years you have no idea what to do with, and that aren't selling.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Right, but does she USUALLY have one? Does she need one to be a superhero?
    Depends on the story.
    She originally had powers without any power ring, but she also was originally from Earth-2 (pre-CoIE) where there wasn't a GLC.
    Even after the merging of the Earths, she still had inborn power (Starheart-connected, not GLC-connected) and did not use a ring. Much later on, when her natural green energy powers weren't active, Kyle gave her a GLC power ring for a while.

----------

. . . Putting them on a newly developed Earth 2 is also attractive, but still leaves you with JLA-shaped holes in their history
    You mean like the same holes DC had to fill when the JSA hadn't always been on the same Earth as the JLA in the pre-CoIE days?

unless you also include JLA expies on this new Earth-2, or also reinstate a history of Dimensional crossovers (in which case, we're back to “where was the JSA during all of the events from 2011 to now?”). Also, I consider this option particularly unlikely, as the role of the JSA in Doomsday Clock is as the missing legacy of the DCU; putting them on a separate Earth wouldn't restore the missing legacy.
    It would restore DC's past history, and if somebody already f#@&ed with time/history, resetting it will change what the characters believed was the past anyway.
    It's really no big thing . . . DC has done this before after CoIE, after Zero Hour, after Infinite Crisis, . . .

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The Rebirth flashback with Wally and Jay from COIE #12 makes it looks like at least some JLA/JSA history has some importance. Jay also recognized Barry in The Button.
    If Jay was trapped somewhere in the Speed Force (like Wally had been), then Jay would likely remember things that people outside the Speed Force don't remember (which was Wally's problem in trying to escape the Speed Force back in DC Universe: Rebirth special back in 2016).

BANNED

It would be OK if Alan were 45 or so.

Not 105 though.

It would be OK if Alan were 45 or so.

Not 105 though.
    All would depend on when Alan was originally active and if/how he may have bypassed "normal" aging.
    If they say Alan and others in the JSA weren't first active until the 1980s, then there'd be no point to bringing them back because they wouldn't be anything like what most people enjoyed about the JSA. Might as well turn them in to the "JSA Detroit" in that situation.