Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Good show. Room a nuff them from the first film without losing direction. But to you guys wondering how she are, did her hair and makeup, there are fundamental questions to be answered.

How did they see in three quantum level anything was significantly smaller that a light wave? How could the hear for a similar reason?

These are the sorts of question you can only ask if you really need to nit pick about a movie you say you enjoyed.

BANNED

Better than the first.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I liked it. The humor was well-paced. The storyline was great. I like that they redeemed the villain BUT I didn't like that they initially turned Goliath into a baddie at first. My only other nitpicky complaint is that we never got to see classic Goliath suit up.

I'm sure we'll find out in number 3.
    I thought they pulled off a nice trick, popping the audience who recognizes his name and then quickly turning it around on them with that villainous reveal. No other movie that I can think of has used fan service quite like that, and his character was fully, and quickly redeemed through his actions and motivations. Pym actually comes across as more of the bad guy. What'd Luis say, "you seem to have bad falling outs with a lot of people?" Yeah, it would be nice to see Foster play a role in...Avengers 4? Ant-Man 3?

On a related note, I was kind of miffed at Jimmy Woo's portrayal as a super-ineffective goof. I've been holding out hope for an Agents of Atlas adaptation in the MCU, and Woo's a fucking boss. But now, I have to concede that I don't think that's in even their most long-term plans. Idiots. Gonna adapt Inhumans before Agents of Atlas? Idiots. Gonna adapt Eternals before Agents of Atlas? Idiots.

Ant-man and the Wasp was good though. I think the person I'm most happy for is Peyton Reed, because very few people expected him to turn in one, much less two, solid, enjoyable, family-friendly marvel comedies, and he at least got some RBI's if not the home runs. Good for him.

Last note: The mid-credits scene being the only thing that ties in to Avengers was a great idea, but not so much the reliance on the audience being familiar with what Lang did in "Germany." He and Hope briefly talk about why he didn't tell her he was going, but it doesn't really make sense, and a flashback or something that helped explain why he'd had a falling out with Pym and her would have helped.

I have a future franchise question for you all. Would Jocasta work as a villain for a sequel?

Jocasta background for those people who don't know her.
    In the comics, Ultron was based on Hank Pym's brain waves. When Ultron builds a wife, Jocasta, he kidnaps the Wasp and uses her brain wave patterns for Jocasta. Ant man saves her, ruining the brain wave exchange, so Jocasta never remains evil.

Now MCU doesn't really have any of that. But could a Jocasta variation be used as a villain? A robot that uses Hope's brain waves?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    I saw it tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it in a light-hearted sort of comedy way. Low stakes, no one died unless you count the dusting. And it set up Scott to be the time-traveling key to Avengers 4.
    That is a good point. I might have gone with Janet still being around, but I like this idea better.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    On a related note, I was kind of miffed at Jimmy Woo's portrayal as a super-ineffective goof. I've been holding out hope for an Agents of Atlas adaptation in the MCU, and Woo's a fucking boss. But now, I have to concede that I don't think that's in even their most long-term plans. Idiots. Gonna adapt Inhumans before Agents of Atlas? Idiots. Gonna adapt Eternals before Agents of Atlas? Idiots.
    Replying to myself because I'm a literal lunatic. They COULD still make it work! Jimmy Woo is the "son" of Agent James Woo who disappeared in the 50's when he was recruited to lead Atlas. He got the youth serum like the comic and now he's come back as his own son to work in the government so he can recruit more people for his team. He only ACTS incompetent to keep people from suspecting his real intentions! Ant Man 3: Ant Man and the Agents of Atlas. Make it happen, Marvel!

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

My brother and I watched it last night, and we both loved it.

However, we both saw something in the scene where Janet and Hank are leaving the Quantum Realm. In the background, as the ship flies up, it looks like there is a shrunken down city in a bubble in the back. We both looked at each other and said ‘did you see that?’

Did anyone else see that?
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Spectacular Member

Replying to myself because I'm a literal lunatic. They COULD still make it work! Jimmy Woo is the "son" of Agent James Woo who disappeared in the 50's when he was recruited to lead Atlas. He got the youth serum like the comic and now he's come back as his own son to work in the government so he can recruit more people for his team. He only ACTS incompetent to keep people from suspecting his real intentions! Ant Man 3: Ant Man and the Agents of Atlas. Make it happen, Marvel!
    Acting incompetent doesn't stop Quill from being a hero, so I don't really think it's at much of a problem as your thinking.

I thought they pulled off a nice trick, popping the audience who recognizes his name and then quickly turning it around on them with that villainous reveal. No other movie that I can think of has used fan service quite like that, and his character was fully, and quickly redeemed through his actions and motivations. Pym actually comes across as more of the bad guy. What'd Luis say, "you seem to have bad falling outs with a lot of people?" Yeah, it would be nice to see Foster play a role in...Avengers 4? Ant-Man 3?

Ant-man and the Wasp was good though. I think the person I'm most happy for is Peyton Reed, because very few people expected him to turn in one, much less two, solid, enjoyable, family-friendly marvel comedies, and he at least got some RBI's if not the home runs. Good for him.

Last note: The mid-credits scene being the only thing that ties in to Avengers was a great idea, but not so much the reliance on the audience being familiar with what Lang did in "Germany." He and Hope briefly talk about why he didn't tell her he was going, but it doesn't really make sense, and a flashback or something that helped explain why he'd had a falling out with Pym and her would have helped.
    Yeah ... I didn't much care for how Woo was played but the actor is great. So I'm 50/50. They drastically altered Star-Lord and I ended up liking him. Time will tell.

And I thought the plan for Ant-Man & Wasp was supposed to be "Ant-Man & the Wasp vs. the Agents of Atlas" for 3? Isn't Ken Hale slotted for an appearance with Jimmy and Marvel Boy in Captain Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I have a future franchise question for you all. Would Jocasta work as a villain for a sequel?

In the comics, Ultron was based on Hank Pym's brain waves. When Ultron builds a wife, Jocasta, he kidnaps the Wasp and uses her brain wave patterns for Jocasta. Ant man saves her, ruining the brain wave exchange, so Jocasta never remains evil.

Now MCU doesn't really have any of that. But could a Jocasta variation be used as a villain? A robot that uses Hope's brain waves?
    I think the weird stuff works really well in Ant-Man because you have Scott to everyman it and Wasp/Hank to technobabble it away.

I would love to see Ant-Man & Wasp take on MODOK and AIM, though.

I can see your idea working, or even having Janet turn into a version of Jocasta via containment suit problems with her new powers.

I could see Ant-Man (the franchise) bringing back Ultron, too.

They have a pretty open setup when it comes to villains compared to most other franchises.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-09-2018 at 10:29 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

Jocasta already exists. She's one of Tony's AIs and was a potential replacement for Jarvis. Tony went with Friday.

Thinking on this movie more....

spoilers:

There were a couple of clever inclusions here...first the Animal House scene that was on TV talking about how an entire universe could be the size of a fingernail. Second, and important of course to the future of the MCU is the comment "don't get sucked into a time vortex" when Scott was going Quantum again in the credit scene. We have seen photos from A4 that leads us to believe some time travel is invovled...so of course it makes sense for Scott to be the person who figures it out....so will he go thru time and grab versions of dusted characters from the past? Could this talk about alternate universes (Bill Foster's college lecture) and time travel be how we introduce the Fox properties into the MCU? FF and X-Men come from other timelines/universes? Could be a way to make Ant-Man arguably the most important character to the future of the MCU.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by bobellis75; 07-09-2018 at 12:10 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post

spoilers:

There were a couple of clever inclusions here...first the Animal House scene that was on TV talking about how an entire universe could be the size of a fingernail. Second, and important of course to the future of the MCU is the comment "don't get sucked into a time vortex" when Scott was going Quantum again in the credit scene. We have seen photos from A4 that leads us to believe some time travel is invovled...so of course it makes sense for Scott to be the person who figures it out....so will he go thru time and grab versions of dusted characters from the past? Could this talk about alternate universes (Bill Foster's college lecture) and time travel be how we introduce the Fox properties into the MCU? FF and X-Men come from other timelines/universes? Could be a way to make Ant-Man arguably the most important character to the future of the MCU.
    end of spoilers
    You know, I had thought much the same. But how is he going to get out of there? Help from Caspet the hostile ghost?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    I know. I just wish they would have had some techno babble throw away line that addressed that.
    Maybe the soles of the boots of her suit… but then if she trips she'll just phase through the ground and dangle upside-down.

On a side note,

Ant-Man Could’ve Had a Rick Moranis Cameo
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    It wouldn't make any sense for him to gather those characters the way you said, because any solution that doesn't undo the snap is not going to happen. The loss of half the Earth's population would change the world in ways that couldn't adequately be explored in later movies. They will undo the snap, so time travel WILL be involved.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Yeah ... I didn't much care for how Woo was played but the actor is great. So I'm 50/50. They drastically altered Star-Lord and I ended up liking him. Time will tell.

And I thought the plan for Ant-Man & Wasp was supposed to be "Ant-Man & the Wasp vs. the Agents of Atlas" for 3? Isn't Ken Hale slotted for an appearance with Jimmy and Marvel Boy in Captain Marvel?
    You either just made my day or got my hopes up, because I can't find many solid rumors on that and none on Ken Hale in CM? I agree that Randall Park is good enough to carry the team, even with Woo's present characterization. I really hope they do something with those characters!