Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    I definitely didn't think it was as organically funny as the first one...this one the comedy felt a little forced and fell flat at points. There were still some very funny moments, but this movie for me worked better once it really got going into the action and kept the plot moving.

Funny parts I can recall were a lot of the dry humor from MIchael Douglas reacting to Scott and others; the Scott stuck at kid size in the school bit was pretty funny; Luis and his truth serum story; and most of the stuff with Luis and the others X-Con guys (Baba Yaga reference was funny...and when she actually showed up...haha).

I like Paul Rudd a lot but I think they tried too hard with some of the jokes for him. He's naturally funny and charming, just let that happen and don't write goofy crap for him...he'll make things funny just being himself. I can't think of any specifics, really...just seemed like he had some clunky jokes a couple times in the movie.

Overall, I dug what they were doing. It started slow but once the plot took off it was another fun movie. I'm interested to see the larger part Scott (and unrelated to this movie, Hawkeye) will play in A4. And I'm down for another Ant Man movie should they make one...I imagine they will with the cast expanded to include heavy hitters like Pfeiffer and potentially Fishburne if they bring him back.

EDIT: I will say when I first left the theater I dug the movie but thought it was just kind of okay. The further removed I am from it, and reflecting on it, I think I like it more than I thought I did, initially. I'd like to watch it again..maybe one of those I dig more on a second viewing. (or maybe I just wasn't in the right mood when I saw it)
    Agreed with all of this.

I think Fishburne will be Ghost's techy behind a desk the way Pym is for Scott and Hope, just different enough that the audience doesn't make immediate parallels.

Anyone feel like most of the actions scenes were actually in the trailers? I'm surprised, because Marvel is usually pretty good about that. Can't wait to see what more Ghost can do in the hands of a better director.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Good call. Now I really want to see Moranis in A4. Maybe just a Quantum realm cameo, with him sitting in a lawn chair. Haha
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Good call. Now I really want to see Moranis in A4. Maybe just a Quantum realm cameo, with him sitting in a lawn chair. Haha
    I honestly don't see the appeal of a Rick Moranis cameo. That's like having a Daniel Radcliff cameo in Dr. Strange. Sure? It seems pointless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    I honestly don't see the appeal of a Rick Moranis cameo. That's like having a Daniel Radcliff cameo in Dr. Strange. Sure? It seems pointless to me.
    Do you feel the same way about Stan Lee's cameos? They are all pointless
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Loved the film! It was definitely an improvement over the first one. I liked the first film, but other than the 'legacy' aspect, it felt a bit too much like a new take on the 'Iron Man' story. This film on the other hand, was able to build upon the unique elements of the Ant-Man mythos and the fun 'heist' film/comedy tone. The fact that it is also (as TV Tropes would say) a 'breather episode' in the MCU right now, certainly helps!

Luis and gang were hilarious as always. Scott and Hope had a romance that was heartfelt and suitably lacking in melodrama. The Lang family stuff was heartwarming and occasionally funny. The plot was just the perfect blend between light-hearted and weighty.

If I had one nitpick, its that I wish the exploration of the Quantum Realm was given a lot more time. Very rarely do these movies offer us the sheer sense of discovery and exploration that the comics, particularly back during the Silver Age and Bronze, used to. Its certainly something I look forward to in a third installment (though Avengers 4 will definitely be spending some time in the realm too).

Now, the reference to a 'time vortex' in the Quantum Realm is no coincidence for certain...but what interested me even more was Janet's claims that she was 'mutated' while she was down there. Could this be a way to bring mutants into the MCU? The thought occurred to me that, if time-travel through the Quantum Realm plays a critical role in Avengers 4, and exposure to the Quantum Realm can trigger mutations...maybe Scott, and the other heroes', time-travels in Avengers 4 unleash the Quantum Realm's energies throughout time...thus literally rewriting the MCU timeline to include the existence of mutants!

Of course, Foster talked about 'alternate realities' as well, so maybe that's the route they'll go to bring the X-men in.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Do you feel the same way about Stan Lee's cameos? They are all pointless
    Umm, Stan Lee has a relationship to MARVEL COMICS. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Lee

Rick Moranis does not. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Moranis

If Stan Lee was some old guy that kept showing that had no relation to Marvel, then yes, I would think it's pointless.

Don't get me wrong, it's fine. But to me it's just another insert-random-Easter-Egg, which isn't anything I get too interested or excited in.
    Last edited by Gorthon616; 07-13-2018 at 11:02 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    Umm, Stan Lee has a relationship to MARVEL COMICS. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Lee

Rick Moranis does not. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Moranis

If Stan Lee was some old guy that kept showing that had no relation to Marvel, then yes, I would think it's pointless.

Don't get me wrong, it's fine. But to me it's just another insert-random-Easter-Egg, which isn't anything I get too interested or excited in.
    But the point would be the Easter Egg; hence not pointless.

It'd just be something you wouldn't like, so say it as such.

I think it would have been a rather cute throwback to "Honey I Shrunk the Kids".

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I just found out that Ghost's father in this movie is Egghead. What a waste.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Unlikely to be the Egghead from the 60's Adam West Batman, who was played by Vincent Price. He egg-celled in the role.

Ultimate Member

...because Egghead was such a great villain?

Yeah, I was cursing because I so desperately wanted a film version of Egghead...

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    ...because Egghead was such a great villain?
    MCU managed to make something great out of the Vulture. It sucks that one of the very few villains that belong to Ant-Man was used in a disposable manner.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I just found out that Ghost's father in this movie is Egghead.
    When I heard "Elihas Starr" I thought his head didn't look like an egg to me!
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Yeah, I was cursing because I so desperately wanted a film version of Egghead...
    Really? In the right hands he can be a really funny and good villan in a Ant-Man movie at least better than the guy in the last movie.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Really? In the right hands he can be a really funny and good villan in a Ant-Man movie at least better than the guy in the last movie.
    In the right hands, ANY villain can be those things. Egghead in the comics was tedious and boring.