Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    62% drop in it's 2ed week not good....
    No doubt family film Hotel took a big chomp out of sales. Skyscraper put a small dent into the sales as well. Should pass the domestic total but not by much I'm guessing. One more good week before MI comes charging in.

Incredible Member

62% drop in it's 2ed week not good....
    It's not bad. Fast & Furious, The Dark Knight Rises, The Hunger Games, as well as Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End all dropped about that much and did okay. As far as genre it is still a better drop percentage-wise than either BvS or SS. (Closest comparison looks to be Fast & furious, which means AM&W is on track ot make about as much as, or more than, A-M.)
    Last edited by Charlie Rock; 07-17-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    No doubt family film Hotel took a big chomp out of sales. Skyscraper put a small dent into the sales as well. Should pass the domestic total but not by much I'm guessing. One more good week before MI comes charging in.
    I agree. I don't see Equalizer doing the same next week as it is aimed to a different audience. But it'll be interesting to see. Skyscraper put up rather disappointing numbers, which means AM&W did pretty well against some high-powered competition.
    Last edited by Charlie Rock; 07-17-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Rock View Post
    I agree. I don't see Equalizer doing the same next week as it is aimed to a different audience. But it'll be interesting to see. Skyscraper put up rather disappointing numbers, which means AM&W did pretty well against some high-powered competition.
    Let's not forget the juggernaut The Incredibles 2. Highest grossing animated film that will finish close to 600M. Add in Jurassic. I think Disney should have moved AM&W to a better schedule.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Yeah just horrible.

LOL

Attachment 68369
    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Yeah I think if I'm Marvel/Disney I'm pretty happy with a chart showing a trajectory like that.
    I don't really see why they would be happy with that performance. It's around (or under) where Thor Dark World was, which sent the franchise on hiatus until someone came along to re-envision it. And given that Dr. Strange has no official sequel announced, despite other Marvel movies this phase having movies basically announced (Guardians, Spider-Man, Black Panther, kinda Black Widow), I think it's safe to assume that they at the very least aren't happy with the result, as there are no immediate plans for the sequel. So, underperforming compared to Dr. Strange is not a good thing.

It's difficult to say what they're expectations are for the film, but I think there's really no basis to assume that A&W performance met expectations. That's basically suggesting that they made a conscious decision to put out a modestly performing movie, which again I have no reason to assume that that's their intentions.

I think that no one is too upset because it's been such a good year so far for Marvel, but unless Disney grades financial success on pass/fail metric, there's really nothing to brag about.

who cares? it was a good movie. the blu-ray isn't even out.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    who cares? it was a good movie. the blu-ray isn't even out.
    Movie making is basically a spectator sport nowadays. (Most things are)

Also, I find it more fun to speculate about the business of movie
    making than the plots of movies nowadays.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    I don't really see why they would be happy with that performance. It's around (or under) where Thor Dark World was, which sent the franchise on hiatus until someone came along to re-envision it. And given that Dr. Strange has no official sequel announced, despite other Marvel movies this phase having movies basically announced (Guardians, Spider-Man, Black Panther, kinda Black Widow), I think it's safe to assume that they at the very least aren't happy with the result, as there are no immediate plans for the sequel. So, underperforming compared to Dr. Strange is not a good thing.

It's difficult to say what they're expectations are for the film, but I think there's really no basis to assume that A&W performance met expectations. That's basically suggesting that they made a conscious decision to put out a modestly performing movie, which again I have no reason to assume that that's their intentions.

I think that no one is too upset because it's been such a good year so far for Marvel, but unless Disney grades financial success on pass/fail metric, there's really nothing to brag about.
    LoL, you would have a good point except that the MCU does not release sequels with box office gross solely in mind. It is a consideration but not the only (and arguably not the biggest).

Iron Man 3 made more than most MCU movies made. Yet there no plans to make Iron Man 4.
    Thor 3 took forever to come out, as you noticed. But it also served as an immediate prequel to Infinity War (1?).

Oh, and there is a Doctor Strange 2 planned ...

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film...ovie-schedule/

The order the movies are getting release dates seem to follow an overall storyline. if AM&W didn't "occur" concurrently with Infinity War but instead showed events after Infinity War than it would have gotten released much later.
    Last edited by Charlie Rock; 07-17-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Iron Man 3 made more than most MCU movies made. Yet there no plans to make Iron Man 4.
    That has more to do with RDJ contract right?

To be fair Ant-Man and the Wasp only starts opening in a lot of major European markets today and will continue till August this was because of the World Cup. Also much like Guardians of the Galaxy series I think Ant-Man and the Wasp does well with families and will do very well with merchandising which is what Disney really cares about.

Spectacular Member

LoL, you would have a good point except that the MCU does not release sequels with box office gross solely in mind. It is a consideration but not the only (and arguably not the biggest).

Thor 3 took forever to come out, as you noticed. But it also served as an immediate prequel to Infinity War (1?).

Oh, and there is a Doctor Strange 2 planned ...

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film...ovie-schedule/

The order the movies are getting release dates seem to follow an overall storyline. if AM&W didn't "occur" concurrently with Infinity War but instead showed events after Infinity War than it would have gotten released much later.
    LOL. Dude, read you're own article.

It could be that we don’t see the next Doctor Strange film for a while, as hinted by Feige last year.

“Certainly, we would love to tell more about the Strange story [in a sequel],” he said. “Yes. It won’t be for a while.
    Unless if you're going to argue that not having one planned is the "plan"... LOL

You're other points are just random statements. How exactly does a lack of Iron Man 4 mean that Disney has lowered their financial expectations for the movies they actually do make? The fact that they are foregoing a known success for new properties is being done to be more successful (Black Panther) not less successful (Ant-Man). Ragnarok is NOT a prequel to Infinity War (literally, because it would have to be released after Infinity War to be one). A&W and Captain Marvel are also the movies released after Infinity War and neither are set after Infinity War (being literally prequels). But what does releasing movies according to a timeline or not have to do with what financial expections are for these films?

That has more to do with RDJ contract right?
    There's that, and also they don't want the Marvel brand to be limited to just RDJ and Iron Man. That's why they popped him into CA3 and SMHC in order siphon off some of his popularity to create new franchises to make money out of (or just for the lulz, apparently).

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    To be fair Ant-Man and the Wasp only starts opening in a lot of major European markets today and will continue till August this was because of the World Cup. Also much like Guardians of the Galaxy series I think Ant-Man and the Wasp does well with families and will do very well with merchandising which is what Disney really cares about.
    Maybe. I certainly hope it does well. I did enjoy it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    LOL. Dude, read you're own article.
    That's awright, you missed the whole point anyway. In your rush to split up my post into bite sized bits your brain can easily digest you missed out that they are all supplemental to the main point, to wit "MCU does not release sequels with box office gross solely in mind". So go back and read the whole thing before you jump off trying to split stuff up to sound smart.

And do you own a dictionary? What part of "Certainly, we would love to tell more about the Strange story [in a sequel]," means "We aren't going to make a sequel because of disappointing box office receipts."

There's that, and also they don't want the Marvel brand to be limited to just RDJ and Iron Man.
    So, you're already understanding that there are other strategies to releasing interconnecting moviescapes. Are you just trolling?

If you're worried about the numbers here:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...&id=antman.htm

% of total box office represented by opening weekend = 31.8%
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...andthewasp.htm

Opening weekend $75mm.
    Even if we bump the opening percentage to 37% (since it is dropping appx. 5% faster than the first movie) that means we're going to end up with $202.7 mm.
    Not too shabby. And that's just domestic.
    The original made over 65% of it's box office overseas.
    Let's just say this one only makes 60% (5% less) of it's total overseas by comparison. That's $337mm. For a cume total of $540.3.

That's better than the original which is always a good sign for a franchise.
    A little too early to call for cloudy skies here.
    Last edited by Charlie Rock; 07-18-2018 at 11:57 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I don't see how further complicating Ghost's background would have done anything other than much up the pacing, they already had two villains and Ghost worked fine
    His firing was a point of contention between Bill and Hank. It would have been nice to know actual story behind it.
    IMO, they handled it nicely. Hank has his story (traitor), and Bill has his own, (Hank's an egomaniacal bastard) which he fed to Ghost. It's much the same approach to Crimson Dynamo/Whiplash's father and Howard Stark from Iron Man 2, make your own pick about what happened there, because the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I'm surprised that they didn't attempt to connect Elihas Starr and Darren Cross. Cross clearly thought of Hank as a father figure; perhaps being estranged from his own. I didn't quite hear all of the dialogue in the flashback. was Starr also a former employee of Pym's or just the financier of Bill's experiment?
    Far better that they didn't do that; not everything needs to be hyper-interconnected. Most of it probably shouldn't be unless there's a clear, meaningful plot or character development advantage to gain from it. I imagine some might say, "but it's a way to build on Hank's character," but does it really give us enough more to make it worth "shrinking" the MCU's world by saying it's only about a smaller group of people?

There are some who claim (and I think they're right) that the mania to make everything interrelate is one of the things that hampered comics readership growth from the late-80s on. I'd prefer to see Marvel keep these films more broadly accessible.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-29-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Boisterously Confused

More than one post has mentioned MCU's use of Quantum Realm rather than Microverse. I seem to remember hearing that Marvel's no longer, or at least not currently, able to use The Micronauts. Any chance that means they can't use The Microverse either?

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I was under the impression that Iron Man 4 is titled Spider-Man: Homecoming.
    Last edited by David Walton; 08-01-2018 at 11:03 AM.