Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 288
  1. #241
    Mighty Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Sure, make him faster than Superman. But not on expense of Superman. Every tom, Dick and harry is now equal or close to Superman in strength. Why would Flash be an exception to that rule?
    Because their entire purpose is to be there fastest, it's in the epithet "fastest man alive."

    Superman is strong, usually the strongest among Earth's heroes but he's hardly the strongest character in DC outside when the narrative calls for him to find that eleventh hour reservoir of strength to go that extra mile.

    He's my favorite character, but I don't think he has to be the absolute best at everything. If he truly is going to be the Apex of strength alongside J'onn, he absolutely needs to be slower than the Flash. Frankly I don't see why this matters so much to you. Superman has always been as strong as the story called for. Bendis recently had him averting disasters and taking care of a robbery in Gotham whilst holding conversations. He's not exactly a chump.

  2. #242
    Spectacular Member Tenzel Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, he writes a book about super-speed, so maybe he's as close as the DCU has to an expert on these things :P?
    Doesn't nessesarily make it an official DC ranking, and based on his choices I'd say he's not that much of an expert.

  3. #243
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Supergirl is hardly faster than Superman.
    Supergirl is supposed to be stronger than Superman and speed is sort of based on strength. A fast runner has stronger leg muscles. So by that logic Supergirl would also be faster than Superman.

  4. #244
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Supergirl is supposed to be stronger than Superman and speed is sort of based on strength. A fast runner has stronger leg muscles. So by that logic Supergirl would also be faster than Superman.
    When Kara is consistently the go-to person for super-strength tasks over Clark, then I will consider her to be the stronger one.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  5. #245
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Supergirl is supposed to be stronger than Superman and speed is sort of based on strength. A fast runner has stronger leg muscles. So by that logic Supergirl would also be faster than Superman.
    It hasn't been established that Supergirl is supposed to be stronger than Superman, despite the best efforts of some Supergirl writers. Pretty solidly across the board in DC, Superman is still held up as the top dog.

  6. #246
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    44,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    Doesn't nessesarily make it an official DC ranking, and based on his choices I'd say he's not that much of an expert.
    Considering the way it's framed, it's as if DC is asking him to rank it as a Flash expert, so I think it's as close as we're going to get to one.

  7. #247
    Fantastic Member Superfan90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Supergirl is supposed to be stronger than Superman and speed is sort of based on strength. A fast runner has stronger leg muscles. So by that logic Supergirl would also be faster than Superman.
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that Supergirl is stronger than Superman.

  8. #248
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Because their entire purpose is to be there fastest, it's in the epithet "fastest man alive."

    Superman is strong, usually the strongest among Earth's heroes but he's hardly the strongest character in DC outside when the narrative calls for him to find that eleventh hour reservoir of strength to go that extra mile.

    He's my favorite character, but I don't think he has to be the absolute best at everything. If he truly is going to be the Apex of strength alongside J'onn, he absolutely needs to be slower than the Flash. Frankly I don't see why this matters so much to you. Superman has always been as strong as the story called for. Bendis recently had him averting disasters and taking care of a robbery in Gotham whilst holding conversations. He's not exactly a chump.
    The problem is that. We don't see clark "in the zone".that often anymore. People can struggle and have fun. We absolutely don't get clark competitiveness anymore. He seems way too comfortable.

  9. #249
    Fantastic Member Superfan90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Because their entire purpose is to be there fastest, it's in the epithet "fastest man alive."

    Superman is strong, usually the strongest among Earth's heroes but he's hardly the strongest character in DC outside when the narrative calls for him to find that eleventh hour reservoir of strength to go that extra mile.

    He's my favorite character, but I don't think he has to be the absolute best at everything. If he truly is going to be the Apex of strength alongside J'onn, he absolutely needs to be slower than the Flash. Frankly I don't see why this matters so much to you. Superman has always been as strong as the story called for. Bendis recently had him averting disasters and taking care of a robbery in Gotham whilst holding conversations. He's not exactly a chump.
    Except when they meet other speedster villains who can match or go faster than Flash just fine.

    I'm not talking about Superman being faster than Flash. But stop denigrating Superman's speed to prop up Flash.

  10. #250
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    The point is that Superman is better than Flash at the one thing Flash specializes in.

    Superman's got like 10 other powers people associate with him before Super Speed. It's not silly or absurd or unfair to Superman for Flash to not only be the fastest, but to significantly outdo Superman because if Superman is just a hair's breadth slower than The Flash then he can do anything The Flash can with speed besides...win a race, which you're saying he should do anyhow.

    Also, to say that everyone stole everything from Superman is silly. Superman did not invent superpowers. He was the first modern superhero, but superhero comics are just heroic mythologies we know are fiction. Heroic epics without the guise of believing they're true. A being being supremely fast or supremely strong or flying through the sky long predates Superman. There's a reason Jay's wearing a hat reminiscent of Mercury. Superman himself is largely inspired by Hercules, for instance. His most defining modern comic being a straight parallel.
    That's not an argument. There are athletes in who don't specialise in a field that beat guys that do. I never said stole. You are putting words in my mouth. Batman was inspired by the success of superman. Guess what? Superman wae a vigilante then. True, this things predate superman. But, where they instrumental in the creation of the super people you are talking about? No. Superman's success drove these people to adopt things from him specifically.i am not saying mercury isn't an influence either. But, flash wouldn't be green lighted if superman wasn't faster than a speeding bullet.

  11. #251
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    44,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that Supergirl is stronger than Superman.
    I think Post-Crisis Supergirl was, initially, promoted as being stronger and faster then Superman when they brought back Kara Zor-El.

  12. #252
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Post-Crisis Supergirl was, initially, promoted as being stronger and faster then Superman when they brought back Kara Zor-El.
    Was'nt that retconned?superman having been holding back subconsciously.
    I have no problem supergirl beating superman. Just like i would like wally to kick Barry's ass or bruce to get beaten by dick. It has to be earned. But, this kinda of definitive statement and taking it as permanent fact, I have a problem with. Flash book handled barry lose to wally and subsequent need for improvement very nicely. Barry promises to push himself for being faster.

  13. #253
    Spectacular Member Tenzel Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering the way it's framed, it's as if DC is asking him to rank it as a Flash expert, so I think it's as close as we're going to get to one.
    On that I agree, but it is still "just" a fluff piece and meant more as a fun thought experiment than an official ranking.

  14. #254
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Sure, make him faster than Superman. But not on expense of Superman. Every tom, Dick and harry is now equal or close to Superman in strength. Why would Flash be an exception to that rule?
    Because Flash isn't super strong?

  15. #255
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Because Flash isn't super strong?
    Infinite mass punch to the face can break even superman's face. Hello! Did you read flash war? Hunter Zolomon basically laid out the entire league.it was Wally who beat him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •